... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Gradually getting there. Been out hiking a few times this year. So far nothing truly monstrous - I did one hike of about 12 miles last week, a 9-mile loop a couple of times and aside from that most of them have been one of my easier go-to hikes that run about 6 miles. I need to check out the trails at the far side of the mountains because I'm keen to try a longer walk - I'm thinking it would be 18-20 miles - that would take me over multiple ridges and end up at a pizza restaurant I rather like. I think if I walk 20 miles through the woods and mountains I'll have earned a pizza.

What's really nice is that my wife has taken to joining me on some of the less strenuous hikes. It's nice to have her with me.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Gradually getting there. Been out hiking a few times this year. So far nothing truly monstrous - I did one hike of about 12 miles last week, a 9-mile loop a couple of times and aside from that most of them have been one of my easier go-to hikes that run about 6 miles. I need to check out the trails at the far side of the mountains because I'm keen to try a longer walk - I'm thinking it would be 18-20 miles - that would take me over multiple ridges and end up at a pizza restaurant I rather like. I think if I walk 20 miles through the woods and mountains I'll have earned a pizza.

What's really nice is that my wife has taken to joining me on some of the less strenuous hikes. It's nice to have her with me.

I might have asked you this before but do you have walking poles?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I might have asked you this before but do you have walking poles?

My wife likes to use a pole, more to help her feel steadier on uneven terrain than anything else. She doesn't like particularly uneven terrain. I'm more used to it, and generally more comfortable moving over it. I think I've got faster instincts if I stand on something that moves - my natural instinct is to counterbalance the movement while her instinct is to freeze, which isn't always helpful.

I don't get on with poles, I've found they cause me more trouble than they solve. Most instructions say you should always use two poles rather than just one. I've never liked using two poles and find my hiking is just as easy if not easier without a pole than with it. On a really long or really rocky hike I'd consider taking one, it's just that they are awkward to do much with during the times I don't want to be using it. It doesn't neatly fit anywhere, and if I don't want it in my hand I'm kinda stuck.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My wife likes to use a pole, more to help her feel steadier on uneven terrain than anything else. She doesn't like particularly uneven terrain. I'm more used to it, and generally more comfortable moving over it. I think I've got faster instincts if I stand on something that moves - my natural instinct is to counterbalance the movement while her instinct is to freeze, which isn't always helpful.

I don't get on with poles, I've found they cause me more trouble than they solve. Most instructions say you should always use two poles rather than just one. I've never liked using two poles and find my hiking is just as easy if not easier without a pole than with it. On a really long or really rocky hike I'd consider taking one, it's just that they are awkward to do much with during the times I don't want to be using it. It doesn't neatly fit anywhere, and if I don't want it in my hand I'm kinda stuck.

My husband has one walking stick and I've never thought to bring it with whenever we go hiking. I'm sure there are times I would have enjoyed having it. I don't know if I could adjust to only one though because it wouldn't feel symmetrical LOL

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think my calcium levels are off and I'm surprised at my last blood test that not all the tests were done as they were previous times so I have no idea what my calcium levels are at. I went ahead and ordered more Vitamin D3 since it helps the body absorb calcium and I'll start taking my Tums daily again to increase the calcium levels. I was having problems with my lips and thought it was my allergies until my feet cramped up in bed this morning and then I felt the tingling in my hands. Not cool. The Tums will help.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My husband and I had gone on a bike ride on Saturday and since then I've had dizziness and wondered why...low calcium can cause dizziness I found out but also vigorous exercise can bring on low calcium! ugh. Trying to manage a body can be difficult LOL

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
i-have-diarrhea-and-need-medicine.jpg

[emoji23]

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Diet sodas including Diet Coke are known now to not help weight loss and even hinder it, besides being unhealthy. The one real reason for losing weight that there should be is losing weight in becoming healthier. But diet fads are not healthy, just lifelong healthy lifestyle will be good for that, including longer life with more lasting youthfulness and energy. Eating healthy whole grains and healthy variety of produce, without ever using animal products and processed foods, is by far the best for that.

The studies are many, the China Study is the largest ever. I quote here from The Forks Over Knives Plan. There are many conclusive studies behind this, and lives have been saved with it.

Americans are sick, tired, and overmedicated. Every fifty-three seconds someone in the United States dies of heart disease, which, as the nation's number one killer, claims about 600,000 lives per year. Cancer, now the second leading cause of death, takes the lives of more than 1500 people per day. Meanwhile, nearly 10 percent of the population has diabetes; and our children are getting sicker, as indicated by the startling fact that obesity has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents in the past thirty years. We have turned to the medical system for help, and it has delivered medication in a big way: Nearly 70 percent of Americans are on at least one prescription drug, more than 50 percent take two, and 20 percent are on five or more prescription drugs. Despite the billions of dollars being spent on pharmaceuticals, the needle almost never moves downward on the rates of chronic disease, and the people still feel lousy and sick.

Health statistics aren't just about numbers on a page or data on a statistician's ledger. These are our mothers, fathers, siblings, and children. These are our friends. The health crisis is taking a real toll on our daily lives, profoundly affecting the personal happiness and productivity of millions of us every single day.

There is good news, though. Research is revealing with greater certainty that we understand the main cause of this epidemic: an American diet that derives more than 90 percent of what we eat from animal-based and processed foods. Understanding the cause means there's hope! The research tells us that if we change to an entirely different way of eating, we can dramatically alter our health destiny.

Modern pioneers like T. Colin Cambell, PhD; Caldwell Esselstyn, MD; Dean Ornish, MD; John McDougall, MD; Neal Barnard, MD; and others are leading the charge. Thanks to these doctors and researchers, along with an emerging body of scientific evidence from all corners, we now know that a whole-food, plant-based diet is more powerful at preventing and treating chronic diseases than any medication or procedure. We are so convinced by the evidence that we believe if this diet came in a pill, it would be heralded on the front pages of newspapers and magazines around the world for its effectiveness.

There is a movement under way as hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, are trying the whole-food, plant-based lifestyle for themselves and finding great success. We have personally seen remarkable results in our own medical practice, not to mention experienced it in our own lives. Here are just a few of the significant life-changing results you may expect:

Prevent and reverse the leading chronic ailments. A whole-food, plant-based diet can prevent, halt, and even reverse heart disease and diabetes. Other diseases that are also positively impacted by this type of diet include: high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity, and overall mortality. Cancer is also significantly affected by this diet. In fact, the foods that make up this diet are the exact same foods that were recommended in the first "surviving cancer" dietary recommendations. There is also evidence that a plant-based diet may reduce the risk of diverticular disease, gallstones, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and kidney disease. Furthermore, after switching to a plant-based diet, people routinely report experiencing or seeing in others improvements in a range of ailments, including osteoporosis, arthritis, headaches, acne, asthma, sexual dysfunction, reflux, lupus, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, dementia, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, infertility, insomnia, and sleep apnea. They even find themselves experiencing fewer or less intense colds, viruses, and allergies.

Reach your ideal weight. Our friend Doug Lisle likes to point out that humans and their domesticated pets are the only earthly creatures that suffer from being overweight and obese ... in spite of the fact that we're also the only creatures who practice portion control! Why is this the case? It's simple. All the other animals on earth are eating foods that are appropriate for their species. If we also eat foods that are appropriate for our species -- whole, plant-based foods -- then we, too, will be able to eat without portion control and will naturally reach a comfortable weight.

Improve mental clarity Eating a whole-food, plant-based diet improves cognitive function and protects against dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Most people experience greater clarity of thought, improved ability to concentrate, and better memory.

Experience only positive effects, not "side effects". Perhaps you would choose to transition to a plant-based diet to reverse heart disease or reduce your diabetes medications, but now you could see that you would welcome into your life an abundance of positive effects. These can include better mood, sounder sleep, improved bowel function, and more vibrant skin. You will have more energy to do the things you love, like playing with your children or grandchildren, biking, gardening, walking, swimming. You may even want to exercise more. By contrast, as we'll discuss more, medical procedures and medications can have all sorts of major unintended negative consequences.

Have a sense of well-being and empowerment. You are in control of your health. You do not have to settle for compromised health or believe that you are destined to succumb to chronic disease. You can live with less fear that a heart attack can happen at any time or that you will be struck by the same chronic ailment from which other members of your family have suffered.

Save time and money. Whether you have health insurance or not, you will likely have to pay out of pocket for at least some of your health care expenses if you are sick. Fewer trips to the doctor and fewer procedures and pills equal more time and money you can spend in other areas of your life.

The Forks Over Knives Plan, pages 15-18.

See also http://www.forksoverknives.com for enjoyable effective ways to change to such living that is healthier, besides the book.

I have struggled with the infusion set on my insulin pump over the last day or so. It seems that I wasn't getting the insulin from the pump into my system, but no error messages were coming up. I had to redo the infusion set and give myself a manual shot. Then my numbers went dramatically down and now they are up again this morning and have gone down some since I woke up. There is definitely a learning curve to this.

What I posted above with the quote from doctors who have saved lives with this, including one who did that for himself, is so healthy, and it was certainly in God's design for us, that it would be right for anyone, and much better for any to come to, they really should, and it doesn't make sense to me that those who already suffer things this could deal with overlook that.

Diabetes is one thing mentioned in all that list of things effectively dealt with in this better way.

Exercise is really of value, rewarding ourselves for it could be better with healthy rewards, and plant based treats without processed food will be best for that.

I think my calcium levels are off and I'm surprised at my last blood test that not all the tests were done as they were previous times so I have no idea what my calcium levels are at. I went ahead and ordered more Vitamin D3 since it helps the body absorb calcium and I'll start taking my Tums daily again to increase the calcium levels. I was having problems with my lips and thought it was my allergies until my feet cramped up in bed this morning and then I felt the tingling in my hands. Not cool. The Tums will help.

Animal products, even those with calcium, deplete calcium storage. Vegetable foods supply adequate calcium without depleting it any.

This information should really be looked at.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Animal products, even those with calcium, deplete calcium storage. Vegetable foods supply adequate calcium without depleting it any.

This information should really be looked at.

Historically, nutritionists have warned that eating large amounts of protein causes the kidneys to flush calcium out of the body. But recent studies show protein also may increase intestinal calcium absorption.

Sodium has been proven to block the absorption of calcium. High fiber foods can prevent absorption as well.

Spinach is naturally high in calcium, but it is also high in oxalic acid. The body is unable to process the calcium it provides. Other foods that contain oxalic acid include beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potatoes.

Vitamin D is necessary for absorbing calcium properly but too much can cause problems.

I had my thyroid out a year ago (maybe you were unaware) so I have to make sure I get enough calcium if my parathryoids aren't behaving and doing what they need to do.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A large part of the problem is that the "professionals" seem unable to decide whether something is good or bad or indifferent.

When something is good for you, then bad for you, then good in moderation, then recommended in specific quantities, then bad for you, it's impossible to keep up with it all. I wonder how the human race survived for so long, given that neanderthal man didn't have the benefit of the advice to eat fruit 5 times a day, fish three times a week, a certain amount of dairy, and so on.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I feel that things in moderation are the best way to go. We also need to taylor our diets to our bodies needs. I do better with low carbs and higher protein. I must take Vit D3 daily. Apparently down her, out bodies do not absorb it like we think it should so need the help.

May of my health issues are due to heredity and cancer. Chemo destroys good cells as well as bad cells and due to the type of cancer I had, I am at risk for health issues due to the imbalances in body due to the part that had to be removed.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I feel that things in moderation are the best way to go. We also need to taylor our diets to our bodies needs. I do better with low carbs and higher protein. I must take Vit D3 daily. Apparently down her, out bodies do not absorb it like we think it should so need the help.

May of my health issues are due to heredity and cancer. Chemo destroys good cells as well as bad cells and due to the type of cancer I had, I am at risk for health issues due to the imbalances in body due to the part that had to be removed.

Do you know more about what your body doesn't absorb vitamin D because of where you live? I'm curious about that. I have had to up my calcium the past few weeks and I bought some VitaminD3 and I think I was taking too much because I am also going outside more and getting sun. So I stopped taking the D3.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you know more about what your body doesn't absorb vitamin D because of where you live? I'm curious about that. I have had to up my calcium the past few weeks and I bought some VitaminD3 and I think I was taking too much because I am also going outside more and getting sun. So I stopped taking the D3.

My physician says it is because of where we live. A year ago, by level was pretty low and this year it is much closer to normal. He said it has to do with the angle of the sun. I haven't studied up on it all thought.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My physician says it is because of where we live. A year ago, by level was pretty low and this year it is much closer to normal. He said it has to do with the angle of the sun. I haven't studied up on it all thought.

Wouldn't time of day make a little bit of difference for the angle?

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Time of day and how far you are from the equator makes a difference. As well as how much UVB gets through. I have also read that altitude can make a difference.

I used to live up north so my sun exposure was minimal with the longer winter and all the cloudy days. A year ago, my lab showed I needed more Vit. D. After adding the supplement, I am now near normal level. I think also that being down south here helps a lot too.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Time of day and how far you are from the equator makes a difference. As well as how much UVB gets through. I have also read that altitude can make a difference.

I used to live up north so my sun exposure was minimal with the longer winter and all the cloudy days. A year ago, my lab showed I needed more Vit. D. After adding the supplement, I am now near normal level. I think also that being down south here helps a lot too.

Were you showing any physical symptoms (except by blood work) for the low vitamin D?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Were you showing any physical symptoms (except by blood work) for the low vitamin D?

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I didn't know I did at the time, but as I look at the signs and symptoms, I did have some.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't know I did at the time, but as I look at the signs and symptoms, I did have some.

That's how it was for my low calcium. It crept in slowly and I thought that I was past that point of having low calcium since my surgery was over a year ago to remove my thyroid. When I woke up one morning and my fingers were tingling strongly then I put it all together with the other symptoms I was having at the same time. I thought I was having allergy problems with my mouth itching but no, that was from the low calcium. All my symptoms are gone now that I take my Tums every day to increase my calcium.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think I might be suffering from Raynaud's Disease but I'm not quite sure since I don't have all the symptoms. I am super sensitive to cold and it's not even winter yet. At night it takes 2 hours for my feet to warm up once I get into bed and it's somewhat painful but it's not only affecting me feet, my fingers, nose, cheeks and even sometimes my thighs get cold too.

Top Bottom