Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I did an experiment, not exactly planned but remembered results and comparing them to see what's what.

I prayed.

First in a protestant sort of way to God without invoking any of the saints.

Second I prayed asking Blessed Mary for her prayers to the Lord our God as well as praying to God myself.

Third I prayed asking saint Vincent to pray for me.

The interesting outcome; all three prayers had the same result, God in his mercy and goodness answered them all affirmatively.

The prayers were not for completely trivial and predictable outcomes.

It's interesting. At least it is to me.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Were the things you prayed for things that God probably would have given to you anyway?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I did an experiment, not exactly planned but remembered results and comparing them to see what's what.

I prayed.

First in a protestant sort of way to God without invoking any of the saints.

Second I prayed asking Blessed Mary for her prayers to the Lord our God as well as praying to God myself.

Third I prayed asking saint Vincent to pray for me.

The interesting outcome; all three prayers had the same result, God in his mercy and goodness answered them all affirmatively.

The prayers were not for completely trivial and predictable outcomes.

It's interesting. At least it is to me.

Isn't there something in the Bible about putting God to the test?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Were the things you prayed for things that God probably would have given to you anyway?

Who can answer that question without being very wise or very well informed about what God wants to do. I claim neither for myself. The requests were not for miracles nor for obvious requirements from holy scripture. They were, in my belief, consistent with righteousness but not necessary for it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Isn't there something in the Bible about putting God to the test?

Yes. I wonder if that applies to post fact recollections? I prayed and remembered the answers, it was not planned as a test but the memory remained and the comparison seems both reasonable and normal without tempting anybody least of all God.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes. I wonder if that applies to post fact recollections? I prayed and remembered the answers, it was not planned as a test but the memory remained and the comparison seems both reasonable and normal without tempting anybody least of all God.

I'm glad to hear the Protestant sort of way works also. Good to know

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm glad to hear the Protestant sort of way works also. Good to know

Catholics have always prayed both directly to God and through the saints. It's part of a rich culture of prayer. In the Liturgy most of the prayers are direct to God. One or two mention Blessed Mary and the apostles and saints "on whose constant intercession we rely". I like the rich culture of prayer in the Catholic Church.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Catholics have always prayed both directly to God and through the saints. It's part of a rich culture of prayer. In the Liturgy most of the prayers are direct to God. One or two mention Blessed Mary and the apostles and saints "on whose constant intercession we rely". I like the rich culture of prayer in the Catholic Church.

I don't believe in praying to saints because of what it says in verses such as 1 Timothy 2:5.
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus."

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I don't believe in praying to saints because of what it says in verses such as 1 Timothy 2:5.
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus."

Yeah, I've heard that before but is "mediator" the same thing as "intercessor"? The saints intercede for Christians on earth Revelation 5 mentions the prayers of the saints rising as incense before God from the altar. Who would the saints pray for, aside from praying for justice to be done on Earth, if not for Christians still on Earth spreading the gospel and seeking to be salt, light, and life in the world.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the insight MC, I never understood praying to saints before. I still dont believe in it but I at least have a better understanding why Catholics do it.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah, I've heard that before but is "mediator" the same thing as "intercessor"? The saints intercede for Christians on earth Revelation 5 mentions the prayers of the saints rising as incense before God from the altar. Who would the saints pray for, aside from praying for justice to be done on Earth, if not for Christians still on Earth spreading the gospel and seeking to be salt, light, and life in the world.

Yes, I believe it does mean the same thing
The vision in Revelations 5 is largely symbolic. the incense represents the "prayers of God's people" which is over the course of history of the entire church.

Top Bottom