• No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Spiritual warfare is putting on Christ (Eph 6). It's so we can deal with Satan who wants nothing more than to trip us up. It's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using my right thumb.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Spiritual warfare is putting on Christ (Eph 6). It's so we can deal with Satan who wants nothing more than to trip us up. It's that simple.

It's interesting to compare that and other passages to some of the curious things called "spiritual warfare" today.

Most of what we see in Eph 6 is defensive stuff - a helmet, a breastplate, sandals, a shield and so on. The only offensive part of it is the sword - the word of God - and even that is the subject of some discussion whether the metaphorical sword is the kind of thing that Conan the Barbarian would wield or something much shorter useful for defence but of little to no value in individual offensive battle.

Then we look at what James said - "Resist the devil and he will flee from you". It's a recurring theme - resist the devil, not go out looking for a fight. Even Jesus never seemed to go out looking for a fight with the demons even though he had total authority over them. If he encountered one he cast it out but I don't recall any cases where he specifically sought them out.

It's a far cry from the rather curious practises in some groups today of actively seeking out high-ranking demons and then going out to do battle.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
To some it means "strategic level spiritual warfare" with is a very fine-sounding term that relates to identifying territorial spirits, getting to high places and binding them, but what it actually means in practise is very little. Jesus never told us to identify territorial spirits and bind them, so quite where that idea came from isn't entirely clear. As far as I can tell it makes the people doing it feel important, makes them feel like they are doing something useful while not actually doing anything of any consequence. Maybe there's another series in warfare strategy to come...

To others it may mean praying against something very specific even without the grandstanding words and shouting at unseen foes. We can pray against the devil's influence in a situation without all the grandstanding.
I see, in that case I vote no. I do not 'bind' Satan; that is for the angels of God to do. The binding and unbinding given to the apostles was of things on earth with the assurance that what they bound or set free would be equally bound or set free in heaven (Matthew 16:18-19). If the prayer warriors seek to bind what is in heaven then they will (in my opinion) fail, and if they seek to bind Satan, I am not sure what result they will achieve but I would rather pray for God's protection and the help of saint Michael the archangel when Satan and his minions are at work. God hears the prayers of the faithful and will not fail to do what is right - consider Daniel the prophet.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I see, in that case I vote no. I do not 'bind' Satan; that is for the angels of God to do. The binding and unbinding given to the apostles was of things on earth with the assurance that what they bound or set free would be equally bound or set free in heaven (Matthew 16:18-19). If the prayer warriors seek to bind what is in heaven then they will (in my opinion) fail, and if they seek to bind Satan, I am not sure what result they will achieve but I would rather pray for God's protection and the help of saint Michael the archangel when Satan and his minions are at work. God hears the prayers of the faithful and will not fail to do what is right - consider Daniel the prophet.

When even Michael the archangel wouldn't attempt to bind the devil but instead said "the Lord rebuke you" (Jud 1:9) I do wonder what the folks who are endlessly binding this and banishing that think they are doing.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
When even Michael the archangel wouldn't attempt to bind the devil but instead said "the Lord rebuke you" (Jud 1:9) I do wonder what the folks who are endlessly binding this and banishing that think they are doing.
They think they are exorcising demons and who-knows-what but they run the risk of the sons of Sceva who attempted to exorcise demons in the name of Jesus and were buffeted and injured after the demons replied saying "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?" (Acts 19:14-16).

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
People wage spiritual war against themselves. It's a personal matter.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
They think they are exorcising demons and who-knows-what but they run the risk of the sons of Sceva who attempted to exorcise demons in the name of Jesus and were buffeted and injured after the demons replied saying "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?" (Acts 19:14-16).

The problem with the seven sons of Sceva was that they 1) didn't belong to Jesus. 2) they didn't believe in Jesus for themselves saying Jesus whom Paul preaches. 3)they had no authority to use the name of Jesus over evil spirits as Paul and others had.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The problem with the seven sons of Sceva was that they 1) didn't belong to Jesus. 2) they didn't believe in Jesus for themselves saying Jesus whom Paul preaches. 3)they had no authority to use the name of Jesus over evil spirits as Paul and others had.

yes - 2nd hand christianity - and done for the motive of self praise . they wanted paul's renown .

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

? small important correction .. jude stated ....

"Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, did not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee."

he respected Gods right of final and just Judgment .

rebuking and binding is something altogether different.

Last edited:

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

exorcise = to drive out or attempt to drive out (a supposed evil spirit) from a person or place.

is not a practice Spirit filled christians bother to partake in . to exorcise meaning to drive out or attempt to drive out . we do not attempt- we walk in faith and DO. anything else is sin.

where they are manifest as present it takes but a command in the name of jesus to both silence and cast them out . there is n effort on that part of the flesh in doing so .
i have experienced this from both ends of the scenario

when i was a teen and an evil spirit manifest in my life(i had foolishly dabbled in some simplistic forms of meditations and elderly lady and her husband sat with me quietly at the time .. she leaned forward in her chair and she touched my head and said .. very calmly and quietly .. "in the name of Jesus come out of him " as her fingers touch my head there was a flash of whiteness more brilliant then lightening .. my body suddenly flung up out of my seat and twisted around and a horrid guttural voice screamed out "Noo... " and then ..was gone and my body slumped back to the seat ..
such is the full authority of the power of the Holy Spirit in those born again of the Spirit of God .

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
we can be in great error to think that demons and angels are not at warfare over the souls of mankind and it is a battle of deceit and intrigue .
children are taught demonology that they become familiar with the demos that roam the earth destroying lives . thier existence is evidenced in every part of Godless culture throughout history in art and stone and wood in times past and in our modern day in art and electronic imagery ..the unseen seeking to manifest itself into the realm of the seen by inspiring the sinful mind to "glorify them"

Almost every modern childrens cartoon shows forth this demonic realm at work to influence the minds and hearts of the innocent toward destruction of their souls -each character having attributes of "power" these are not innocent ideas these are inspirations from the demonic realm .
speak about ti to those that grew up with pokemon and such things(a myriad of them especially including magic pony and the like ) and continue to promote it .. they not only "know " it is demonology but continue in it ..
if find this interesting because the book of revelations says " and they would not repent of their worship of demons " - yes today every day around us the deceived and intrigued give homage to demons .. browse your facebook friends through the unsaved people and you will find somewhere they all post pictures depicting a demonic type image - the unseen attempting to be seen and be glorified .

demonic influence is evidenced in every aspect of worldly entertainments bar none . every movie refers to wickedness as if it is right ..refers to evolution s if it is truth , refers to the name of jesus as if it is a curse word ,refers to immortality as if it is to be commended.. every tv program does the same .
these plots and scripts are not accidental they are carefully written by inspiration from demons in rebellion to the most High God . hollywood is rife with it and now days openly admits it .. advertising agents go and mediated to get inspiration from their "spirit guide "aka demon, on how to advertise products .. tins of drinks to "energize and "give power " (filed with a cocktail of things bad for us )are now openly named beast, demon ,-- it goes on and on and on .. all these things are inspired from hell .

Its power influence over the mind of people ties them up and hinders their ability to even hear the gospel .. this power over a person's mind can be broken by prayer thus enabling the person to begin to HEAR the gospel and thus make their own choice .. hence we must "pray without ceasing " .. spiritual warfare begin with the realization that we live in a Spiritual world for we are all spirits inhabiting houses of flesh . the word of god sates that the lost sre "prisoners of sin" .. by the spiritual warfare of the prayer of Faith we can set them free from that prison so they can come to a knowledge of the truth and know truth .-many reject truth and so their ed state is worse than their former state .. for wide is the path to destruction and many there are that walk in .
ours is to rescue as many as will listen .

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Some of them tell the world what they think they are doing but the holy scriptures, holy tradition, and the church tell us that their words are not in accord with the teaching of Christ.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

it is that simple .. :) our terminology sometimes makes it confusing where it does not have to be .

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
yes I do.
Is it okay to talk about that on this forum? Amazing.

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
In spiritual warfare, do you see yourself, the victim, the warrior, the overcomer, the beaten down, the victorious...etc??

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Some of them tell the world what they think they are doing but the holy scriptures, holy tradition, and the church tell us that their words are not in accord with the teaching of Christ.
Sometimes, the church and their "holy" traditions are not in accord with God or with the teachings of Yeshua. The man of faith, does not want to just learn about God and study about God but to actually be swept up with the unseen, caught up into the divine, whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know, but to know God rather than just to know about God.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Sometimes, the church and their "holy" traditions are not in accord with God or with the teachings of Yeshua. The man of faith, does not want to just learn about God and study about God but to actually be swept up with the unseen, caught up into the divine, whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know, but to know God rather than just to know about God.

I am more inclined to believe what the Catholic Church teaches than what folk opine on bulletin boards.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

The scripture say that the problem for the sons of Sceva was that they were not known as saint Paul was and as the Lord Jesus Christ was.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The scripture say that the problem for the sons of Sceva was that they were not known as saint Paul was and as the Lord Jesus Christ was.
Again, how could they be as they were none of His, it is not us but Jesus within us that does the work, if Jesus had been in them then they would have been recognized and able to do the work.

Top Bottom