Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
@MoreCoffee

I'm no enemy of the Catholic Church. I'm part of the Catholic Church. I do have many disagreements with the Roman Church.

And, you didn't answer my question. Your response was no answer. All you did was quote part of Romes Catechism.

In that Catechism you presented in post #(19), it is clear that Rome says Scripture and Tradition are equal. Correct? See your #(82) in post #(19).

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
@MoreCoffee

Concerning your Catechism we are told that the 'transmission of Divine Revelation' to man is accomplished in two ways. The two ways are, 1.) orally 2.) written. See Catechism #(74), (75), (76). The second of these, 'written' are the Scriptures.

These two ways, orally and written, were entrusted to 'apostle's' to preach. And to preserve this Revelation, you have the 'apsotolic succession' continuing till the end of time. Catechism #(77)

It is this 'transmission of Divine Revelation' which involves 1.) orally 2.)written and 3.) apostolic succession which is defined as 'Tradition'. And it is this 'Traditon' that Rome bases it's faith.

Catechism #(78) "The living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit, is called Tradition, since it is distinct from Sacred Scripture, though closely connected to it. Through Tradition, the Church, in her doctrine, life, and worship perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes...."

Lees

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What you wrote offers a meaning for Jesus words but I am still wondering why he said it. Sure Peter was encouraged not to focus on John but why did Jesu say "If I want him to live until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!"
Wasn't John the only one not put to death during the persecutions?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Wasn't John the only one not put to death during the persecutions?
perhaps, it is not clear how saint John the theologian died.

The question in the first post is asking why did Jesus make any comment about saint John living until his (Christ's) return [in glory]?

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
perhaps, it is not clear how saint John the theologian died.

The question in the first post is asking why did Jesus make any comment about saint John living until his (Christ's) return [in glory
When Peter asked Jesus of John, "what about this man," Peter must have been wondering if John was going to get to die of old age and why poor Peter must be martyred. Jesus knows what someone's thoughts are, so probably was simply addressing the real question that Peter had, not the couched question that was vocally asked, Peter apparently being afraid to ask the real question and hoping to get the answer through a less direct question.

Top Bottom