Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I was expected to wear a tie as part of my school uniform from the age of 11.

In my OLD JOB, I just wore shorts and a pull over shirt. I worked with scientists and engineers... we never interfaced with clients or anyone else for that matter (too many layers of security; there were admins for that), so there was no dress code.

In my NEW JOB, there is an expected uniform - the traditional business suit (and a nice one, at that; 3 piece suits). When I got this job, I spent well over $1500. getting a couple of suits, white shirts, some more ties because I only had one (old) suit and it didn't fit very well. I admit - at first, I didn't like it. BUT I'm come to embrace it (including the tie). I look good.... and that helps me feel good. And I look "the part" and I think that maybe helps me feel the part. To be honest... I kind of LIKE IT when I'm having a meeting.... and I'm the best dressed person in the room.

Weird. I know.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In my OLD JOB, I just wore shorts and a pull over shirt. I worked with scientists and engineers... we never interfaced with clients or anyone else for that matter (too many layers of security; there were admins for that), so there was no dress code.

In my NEW JOB, there is an expected uniform - the traditional business suit (and a nice one, at that; 3 piece suits). When I got this job, I spent well over $1500. getting a couple of suits, white shirts, some more ties because I only had one (old) suit and it didn't fit very well. I admit - at first, I didn't like it. BUT I'm come to embrace it (including the tie). I look good.... and that helps me feel good. And I look "the part" and I think that maybe helps me feel the part. To be honest... I kind of LIKE IT when I'm having a meeting.... and I'm the best dressed person in the room.

Weird. I know.

Some time ago I worked behind the scenes for an investment bank. Most of the time I was based in an area tucked out of the way so the dress code was "business casual", meaning that we didn't need to be dressed up but had to be ready to become presentable if we needed to visit the trading floors. What that meant for most of us was business pants and a collared shirt, although most of us wore sneakers and kept dress shoes and a tie in our desk drawers. For most day-to-day stuff we dressed for comfort but if we ever did need to go onto the trading floors it was a very quick process to change into dress shoes and put a tie on, at which point we looked much like other banking types.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
To be honest... I kind of LIKE IT when I'm having a meeting.... and I'm the best dressed person in the room.

Weird. I know.

It's been around 10 years since I had to wear a tie to work, back in the day when dress codes were enforced. I sort of miss those days, I don't mind wearing nice clothes and jackets and ties. Today, people wear just about anything they can get away with. I sit next to a guy that wears two t-shirts, not sure why... I'm afraid to ask. Back in the day, people would dress nice to fly and golf courses had dress codes, collar on a shirt was required. I had to stop at a Walmart a few years ago, and I thought the pictures on the web on what people wear to Walmart were made up, but it's true! Anyway, I like to be nicely dressed all the time.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's been around 10 years since I had to wear a tie to work, back in the day when dress codes were enforced. I sort of miss those days, I don't mind wearing nice clothes and jackets and ties. Today, people wear just about anything they can get away with. I sit next to a guy that wears two t-shirts, not sure why... I'm afraid to ask. Back in the day, people would dress nice to fly and golf courses had dress codes, collar on a shirt was required. I had to stop at a Walmart a few years ago, and I thought the pictures on the web on what people wear to Walmart were made up, but it's true! Anyway, I like to be nicely dressed all the time.

I think work dress codes need to be appropriate to the kind of work being done. If you're facing the public you need to be easily identifiable as an employee. If you're dealing with clients you need to look the part (although "look the part" probably means something very different depending on whether you are an investment banker or a plumbing contractor). If you never interact with clients or the public it's less important what you wear. I remember taking a particularly dim view of the dress code at one of my first jobs, where I was expected to wear a suit but also expected to crawl around on the floor in dusty corners getting at computers.

Top Bottom