Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The world is quick to point out when Christians aren't loving...sometimes that love is more subjective than objective, tbh. I see memes mocking Christians because they get angry and see that as a good reason to not be Christian. What do you say to those people?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The world is quick to point out when Christians aren't loving...sometimes that love is more subjective than objective, tbh. I see memes mocking Christians because they get angry and see that as a good reason to not be Christian. What do you say to those people?

Often I'm reminded of the lyrics of a song called "Who ya tryin' to kid, kid?" from the 1980s, with lyrics that went something like:

Can't understand those Christians so you type us all in stereo
They're hypocrites, they're such a bore
Well come on in, there's room for one more

It's sad when Christians present themselves as hateful, particularly when they pick on one specific area of sinfulness and act as if God doesn't want anything to do with people until they totally rid their lives of that one sin. It's also sad when people act as if Christians should be perfect in every way although, in fairness, if you've encountered the more preachy type of Christian it's easy to get the impression they think they are perfect.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In a way you can explain because Christians are sinners, too. But it appears that Christianity expanded in Rome because people admired them. I think the best evangelism today is people bringing their friends. That doesn't work if Christians appear less moral and interested in their neighbors than those around us.

I think the LGBT and abortion debates are disastrous PR. These issues are probably not primary in most Christians' lives. Christians and their churches do plenty to help others. But none of that is visible. Just opposition to gays. I'd really like to see Christians tone that down so people can see other things about us.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

I don't think Christians should worry about what the world thinks of us one way or another. We're never going to please the world, as they will always find fault with us.

Anyone who says to me that they won't become Christian because of me or because they don't see me as loving, I say to them, then don't. But, that is not got to help them on judgement day. Pointing out what they perceive as my flaws as a Christian, even if they are true, is not going to be an excuse.

On that day, the Father is only interested in one thing. What did you do with my Son? Did you believe and receive Him? Or did you reject Him?

Lees

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think Christians should worry about what the world thinks of us one way or another. We're never going to please the world, as they will always find fault with us.

Anyone who says to me that they won't become Christian because of me or because they don't see me as loving, I say to them, then don't. But, that is not got to help them on judgement day. Pointing out what they perceive as my flaws as a Christian, even if they are true, is not going to be an excuse.

On that day, the Father is only interested in one thing. What did you do with my Son? Did you believe and receive Him? Or did you reject Him?

Lees

Up to a point I would say your comments are fair. The trouble is that if we are effectively the salesmen for Christ and the world sees us and decides, based on seeing us, that it wants nothing to do with what we are selling, we're doing something badly wrong.

Compare and contrast the early church to the modern church. In Acts we see a church growing by thousands in a day. These days it's noteworthy when somebody new comes to church and then comes back the next week. Maybe we are missing the mark somewhere.

I think it's in 1 Peter (don't have my Bible to hand right now) where we are told to always have an answer for the hope that is within us. There's no need to have an answer unless we are expecting to be asked about the hope we have. Why would people ask us about the hope, if they can't see evidence of it?

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Up to a point I would say your comments are fair. The trouble is that if we are effectively the salesmen for Christ and the world sees us and decides, based on seeing us, that it wants nothing to do with what we are selling, we're doing something badly wrong.

Compare and contrast the early church to the modern church. In Acts we see a church growing by thousands in a day. These days it's noteworthy when somebody new comes to church and then comes back the next week. Maybe we are missing the mark somewhere.

I think it's in 1 Peter (don't have my Bible to hand right now) where we are told to always have an answer for the hope that is within us. There's no need to have an answer unless we are expecting to be asked about the hope we have. Why would people ask us about the hope, if they can't see evidence of it?

Of course, we should always study and be ready to answer a non-believer if he asks us questions concerning our faith and hope in Christ.

But, you can be the most 'Christ-like' person in the world, and the world wants no part of it. The world hates Christ and Who and All that He is. They will mock your 'Christ-likeness' in whatever way they see it. And concerning your flaws and sins, they will accuse you as a hypocrite. Either way the world wants nothing to do with Christ.

I have never really liked the 'salesmen' analolgy when compared to our witnessing. I am more in the 'declaration' of the Gospel and leaving it at that. Just my opinion.

My walk with God is important to God and me. Even when I am in the place of being pleasing to God, I still have flaws and sins. The world will be quick to point those out. But, Whose opinion am I interested in?

Anger and hate were part of the opening post in describing an erring Christian in the world's eyes. But, there is nothing wrong with anger or hate if it's directed at the things God is angry at and hates. Perhaps the Church has erred in creating a God of love only, with no other attribute. I have often thought that the Church in America is guilty for much of the ridiculous hate crime laws we have. My opinion.

Lees

detniona

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Single
No
The truth. I always speak the truth.

Top Bottom