Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Two thoughts that ran through my mind today.
What if Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden but Adam didn't eat the fruit?

What if they both ate from the tree of life first and then the tree of knowledge? How could they live forever if when sin entered the world death did also?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That would depend on whether eating from the tree of life is a "one and done" or needs to be ongoing. I suppose either is possible, although if it's the latter then your second question goes away.

As to the first question, who knows? Maybe Eve would have died and Adam would have lost another rib...

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

What if they both ate from the tree of life first and then the tree of knowledge? How could they live forever if when sin entered the world death did also?

Those are good questions.

As to the first, Eve was in the worst position any human would ever be in, when she had eaten the fruit, yet Adam had not. She had eaten and sinned, yet her head, Adam, had not.

In other words, the human race was not yet fallen when Eve ate. She only was fallen.

Adam could have contacted God. He could have told Him, this woman you gave me has sinned against You. Get me another one.

Always remember (1 Tim. 2:14). Adam was not deceived. Eve was, but Adam was not. He knew what he was doing when he ate the fruit that Eve offered him. He knew she had ate and was fallen. So, if he was not deceived, why did he eat?

My answer: Because he loved Eve.

Adam knew God. He knew Eve was in serious, serious, trouble. Instead of abandoning her, he placed himself with her in that fallen state. Why? Because he knew that God would get him back. And whatever it took for God to get him back, would also get Eve back. Now, you might say I am assuming a lot. But, you must say, that is exactly what happened.

Remember, Adam is a type of Christ. (Rom. 5:14) And Christ gave Himself for His bride the Church. (Eph. 5:25-26) In other words, Christ, like Adam, was sinless. Christ like Adam, took on that fallen state to save His bride. So that what God the Father did to deliver Christ, would deliver His bride also.

I havent ever considered your second question. Though I have considered the 'Tree of Life' and that is difficult enough. I'll get back later with something.

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

My opinion.

The 'tree of life' always brings up many questions to me. For example, why is a tree of life necessary to a pair of sinless humans? Just what would the furit of such a tree provide towards eternal life? (Gen. 3:22)

We see the 'tree of life' again in the New Heaven and Earth. (Rev. 22:2) Why, since sin has been done away with and all have resurrected bodies? Yet it's for the healing of the nations. Why, since there should be no sickness or pain anymore?

Somethings to consider concerning your questions.

In all likelihood, Adam and Eve did eat of the Tree of Life before their fall. It was not off limits. Only the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil' was off limits. We are not told that they did or didn't eat of it before the fall.

Understand that 'death' is not annihilation. It is 'separation'. Spiritual death is the separation of our spirit from God. Physical death is the separation of our spirit from our body. When Adam and Eve sinned, they died, in that they were now separated from God. And death was working now in their bodies, slowly destroying it so that one day it would cease to exist.

When God said, 'lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever' certainly shows the power God had given in the fruit of that tree. It had the power to keep the body from it's eventual destruction and separation from the spirit. But it didn't have the power to deliver fallen man from his fallen state. And that is a condition God would not consider.

I think we must also consider the doctrine of 'election' to your questions. Again, my opinion.

Adam and Eve were children of God. They would always be children of God. God always planned on His children being born of them. The fall did not change that. The fall caused their separated condition from God. The fall introduced others being born of them who were not children of God. The fall required God to provide a remedy to redeem His children.

All born of Adam live forever somwhere. With God or without God. When God references 'living forever' He is speaking of living forever in an unhindered relationship with Him. Apparently, had Adam and Eve ate of the 'tree of life' they would have lived forever, and perhaps their children would also, in that state.

I'm not being dogmatic. Just thinking through this. I know many questions surround it.

Lees

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Those are good questions.

As to the first, Eve was in the worst position any human would ever be in, when she had eaten the fruit, yet Adam had not. She had eaten and sinned, yet her head, Adam, had not.

In other words, the human race was not yet fallen when Eve ate. She only was fallen.

Adam could have contacted God. He could have told Him, this woman you gave me has sinned against You. Get me another one.

Always remember (1 Tim. 2:14). Adam was not deceived. Eve was, but Adam was not. He knew what he was doing when he ate the fruit that Eve offered him. He knew she had ate and was fallen. So, if he was not deceived, why did he eat?

My answer: Because he loved Eve.

Adam knew God. He knew Eve was in serious, serious, trouble. Instead of abandoning her, he placed himself with her in that fallen state. Why? Because he knew that God would get him back. And whatever it took for God to get him back, would also get Eve back. Now, you might say I am assuming a lot. But, you must say, that is exactly what happened.

Remember, Adam is a type of Christ. (Rom. 5:14) And Christ gave Himself for His bride the Church. (Eph. 5:25-26) In other words, Christ, like Adam, was sinless. Christ like Adam, took on that fallen state to save His bride. So that what God the Father did to deliver Christ, would deliver His bride also.

I havent ever considered your second question. Though I have considered the 'Tree of Life' and that is difficult enough. I'll get back later with something.

Lees
That's certainly an interesting idea.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Perhaps Eve, realizing she was doomed after eating the fruit, decided that the only way she could keep Adam was to bring him into her own corruption; hence, she passes him the fruit with a positive note on its goodness.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Had Adam not partaken of the fruit, would God have then pulled another rib and made him a new wife and banished the first wife to outside the garden?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Had Adam not partaken of the fruit, would God have then pulled another rib and made him a new wife and banished the first wife to outside the garden?
It's curious that Adam took the fruit and ate, even as he realized what he was doing and was not deceived as has been noted in this thread earlier.

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The woman was immune to the effects of the forbidden tree. She went right on
exposing herself in full frontal nudity unashamed like as before tasting it. It wasn't
till Adam tasted the fruit that the woman became anxious to clothe her pelvic area.
Apparently she remained okay with topless but not bottomless.

What if they both ate from the tree of life first and then the tree of knowledge?

According to Rev 22:1-2 the tree of life doesn't work like a vaccine that one takes
to prevent disease. Instead, it's a remedy for whatever ails you; including
mortality.

When Adam tasted the forbidden fruit (Gen 2:17) his body lost its perpetual youth
and began to age. Had he been allowed access to the tree of life; its chemistry
would've restored Adam's body to perfect health, viz: when you already have
perfect health, then the tree's fruit is likely good for a snack but at the same time
about as useful for medication as applying burn ointment to skin that has no burns.

How could they live forever if when sin entered the world death did also?

It was God's will and determination that mortality would infect humanity by means
of one lone male's actions; just as it is God's will and determination that safety
from the wrath of God be made available to the world by means of one lone male's
actions. (Rom 5:12-21)
_

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
That's certainly an interesting idea.

Yes it is. Because it follows perfectly with what Jesus Christ did for us. And because it is Scripture supported.

Lees

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes

The tree in the midst of the Garden represented a false immortality. And that was the actual temptation that the serpent (Satan) applied upon Adam and Eve, that by eating they would become their own gods.

That is still what today's occult schools of esotericism teaches, that by becoming perfect in living and perfect in knowledge one can be released from the wheel of re-birth and become like their own God. Some of them even replace that falsehood with the idea of becoming your own Christ, wrongly teaching that even Lord Jesus was but a flesh man that spiritually gained connection with The Christ Spirit (i.e., treating The Christ like a force in nature that everyone can connect to like a psychic). This is the state called Nirvana by Buddhism, and they claim Buddha achieved it. But it's all a HO-AX, just like what Satan offered Adam and Eve.

Top Bottom