What is the "Yoke?"

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Matthew shares these words of Jesus in chapter 11...
28*Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29*Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30*For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Rabbi's referred to their specific teaching as the yoke. It was the guiding principles that taught their disciples the way they ought to follow God.
Jesus is comparing his teaching to the other rabbi's as well as the rigid temple system. He is calling all Israel to follow his teaching because, unlike the others, Jesus is gentle and lowly, his teaching provides rest for the soul, and his burden is light (as opposed to the heavy burden placed on people by Sadducees and Pharisees).
These verses go contrary to anyone who teaches that you must do something first in order to merit Jesus fellowship.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The term 'Religion' means to "link back or link to" I always interpreted it as 'chain to'...
Anyway the light 'yoke' and 'breaking of chains' IMO is to rest in Christ, to break apart from heavy religious burden and have peace and forgiveness in him alone and not by law.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yoke is an instrument used to keep animals in line it’s a burden Jesus was referring to. His yoke or burden was the cross or the sacrifice He made for us.

We are to follow Jesus and take up your cross and follow Him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
A yoke symbolizes hard work and ownership of a master and who is your master is it working hard or the faith in Jesus whose yoke is easy and light?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Matthew shares these words of Jesus in chapter 11...

Rabbi's referred to their specific teaching as the yoke. It was the guiding principles that taught their disciples the way they ought to follow God.
Jesus is comparing his teaching to the other rabbi's as well as the rigid temple system. He is calling all Israel to follow his teaching because, unlike the others, Jesus is gentle and lowly, his teaching provides rest for the soul, and his burden is light (as opposed to the heavy burden placed on people by Sadducees and Pharisees).
These verses go contrary to anyone who teaches that you must do something first in order to merit Jesus fellowship.

It could be seen slightly differently, it may be seen like this

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
29. learn of me] i. e. “become my disciples;” an idea also conveyed by the word “yoke,” which was used commonly among the Jews for the yoke of instruction. Stier quotes from the Mishna, “Take upon you the yoke of the holy kingdom.” Men of Belial=“Men without the yoke,” “the uninstructed.”

for (or, because) I am meek and lowly in heart] The character of Jesus described by Himself; cp. 2 Corinthians 10:1, “the meekness and gentleness of Christ.” It is this character that brings rest to the soul, and therefore gives us a reason why men should become His disciples.

rest unto your souls] Cp. Jeremiah 6:16, “Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.”

unto your souls] Not relief from external bodily toil.

my burden is light] Contrast with this the burden of the Pharisees, ch. Matthew 23:4, “heavy burdens and grievous to be borne.”

(source)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It could be seen slightly differently, it may be seen like this

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
29. learn of me] i. e. “become my disciples;” an idea also conveyed by the word “yoke,” which was used commonly among the Jews for the yoke of instruction. Stier quotes from the Mishna, “Take upon you the yoke of the holy kingdom.” Men of Belial=“Men without the yoke,” “the uninstructed.”

for (or, because) I am meek and lowly in heart] The character of Jesus described by Himself; cp. 2 Corinthians 10:1, “the meekness and gentleness of Christ.” It is this character that brings rest to the soul, and therefore gives us a reason why men should become His disciples.

rest unto your souls] Cp. Jeremiah 6:16, “Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.”

unto your souls] Not relief from external bodily toil.

my burden is light] Contrast with this the burden of the Pharisees, ch. Matthew 23:4, “heavy burdens and grievous to be borne.”

(source)
So...you agree with me...

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So...you agree with me...

Mostly, just less emphasis on Rabbis and yokes beyond the plain message that Jesus is inviting people to become his disciples.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Personally I am reminded of the yoke of times past in the History of israel.
kings of yhdh wanting to build a kingdom with their own hands heavily extorted from their own people.
Even going so far as to having strangers bribe their judges and prophets.
Reading yirmiyahu (jeremiah reminds the believers in Yeshua not to follow blind leaders.

When did the Lord ever ask man to build Him a palace?

A yoke for the laborers of love is like Elisha.
He ignored all the distractions and desired the reward.

Blessings Always

Top Bottom