Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I'm rehearsing the song The Holy City and there is a section that I'm trying to work out in my mind for meaning. I'd like to hear other thoughts on this. Here are the words of that section:

The light of God was on its streets
The gates were open wide,
And all who would might enter,
And no one was denied.

I was listening to different versions of this song on YouTube and an atheist had written that even though he didn't believe in God, he liked that part of the song. Why would an atheist be happy he could enter the Holy City if he didn't believe?

I think the meaning of this section relies upon how "all who would" is meant to be interpreted?

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Revelation 21:23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

Revelation 21:21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.
Revelation 21:25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there.

Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.

And no one was denied.
(Well, yes ... )

Revelation 21:22-27 & Revelation 22:1-5
22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.
1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

(... But there is a catch)
Revelation 20:11-15
11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

So anyone whose name is in the book of life has unrestricted access through the open gates. Anyone whose name was not written in the book of life had already been cast into the 'second death'.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That was a really great indepth response! Thank you! I don't disagree at all.

I suppose it bothers me that as Christians we know the path is narrow but this song doesn't give that message. It's somewhat wide open to interpretation since atheists think they'll get to the New Jerusalem too after hearing it! :confused:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh this Atheist wasn't talking about following God. He was bragging that he could get in to heaven without believing. Which I found odd.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Oh this Atheist wasn't talking about following God. He was bragging that he could get in to heaven without believing. Which I found odd.

The faithful and that atheist share a common humanity therefore let us be quick to pray "Lord have mercy" for him and hope with earnest hope that he will enter the city.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The faithful and that atheist share a common humanity therefore let us be quick to pray "Lord have mercy" for him and hope with earnest hope that he will enter the city.

Of course!

Do you get irritated with songs that are vague at times so that theology is questioned? Songs where atheists feel comfortable thinking they're going to heaven? Songs that don't state God or Jesus so you don't know who is being worshiped?

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

He may have a Damascus road experience. :lol:

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Of course!

Do you get irritated with songs that are vague at times so that theology is questioned? Songs where atheists feel comfortable thinking they're going to heaven? Songs that don't state God or Jesus so you don't know who is being worshiped?

You are talking about secular songs, right?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Of course!

There are many aspects of written and spoken communication where greater precision is desirable but not forthcoming.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You are talking about secular songs, right?

No. There are Christian songs that anyone outside of Christianity can say it fits them too.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No. There are Christian songs that anyone outside of Christianity can say it fits them too.

"This is the Stuff"
By Francesca Battistelli
Ranked in top 50 Contemprary Christian Music songs.

I lost my keys in the great unknown
And call me please 'cause I can't find my phone

This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I've gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing
Might not be what I would choose
But this the stuff You use

45 in a 35 sirens and fines
While I'm running behind
Whoa ho ho

In the middle of my little mess,

So break me of impatience
Conquer my frustrations
I've got a new appreciation
It's not the end of the world
Whoa ho ho ho

Oooooh This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff
Someone save me

Whoa whoa ho ho
This is the stuff You use.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
OH, That's Christian? Nah!

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
"This is the Stuff"
By Francesca Battistelli
Ranked in top 50 Contemprary Christian Music songs.

I lost my keys in the great unknown
And call me please 'cause I can't find my phone

45 in a 35 sirens and fines
While I'm running behind
Whoa ho ho

In the middle of my little mess,

So break me of impatience
Conquer my frustrations
I've got a new appreciation
It's not the end of the world
Whoa ho ho ho

Oooooh This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff
Someone save me

Whoa whoa ho ho
This is the stuff You use.

OK I looked it up and had a listen. It's a cute little tune but I see what Lamm is saying.But there are secular songs that can double as christian songs. We have a thread on that.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's the Christian songs that double as secular songs that seem to bother me. :cry:

I know there are a lot more but I just woke up so can't think :D

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's the Christian songs that double as secular songs that seem to bother me. :cry:

I know there are a lot more but I just woke up so can't think :D

I woke early today too, that was about 14 hours ago :p

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I'm rehearsing the song The Holy City and there is a section that I'm trying to work out in my mind for meaning. I'd like to hear other thoughts on this. Here are the words of that section:

And no one was denied.

I was listening to different versions of this song on YouTube and an atheist had written that even though he didn't believe in God, he liked that part of the song. Why would an atheist be happy he could enter the Holy City if he didn't believe?

I think the meaning of this section relies upon how "all who would" is meant to be interpreted?

Revelation 21:23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

Revelation 21:21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.
Revelation 21:25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there.

Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.

And no one was denied.
(Well, yes ... )

Revelation 21:22-27 & Revelation 22:1-5
22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.
1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

(... But there is a catch)
Revelation 20:11-15
11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

So anyone whose name is in the book of life has unrestricted access through the open gates. Anyone whose name was not written in the book of life had already been cast into the 'second death'.

That was a really great indepth response! Thank you! I don't disagree at all.

I suppose it bothers me that as Christians we know the path is narrow but this song doesn't give that message. It's somewhat wide open to interpretation since atheists think they'll get to the New Jerusalem too after hearing it! :confused:

Those that enter the New Jerusalem (the verses in Revelation 21 and 22 that atpollard quoted) do not do so in this life time. This is why the language differs significantly on numerous levels than what we read elsewhere.

For example: Revelation 22:5 No candle is needed once you are in.

However, in this lifetime by the light of the lamp (meaning it must be dark if it is needed) you find the door: Matthew 25:1-13. Those who are foolish must go out and buy oil(since they have not prepared beforehand for the time appointed), and they miss the opportunity when they get to the door, finding it shut.

The door:

Ezekiel Chapter 46

According to this, it's only open at certain times. It is also a narrow door. Imagine that.

The people looking toward the door are facing West, not East. They are like the wise men. The wise men were in the East when they saw Messiah's star. "We saw his star in the East". So they followed it Westward. As the Temple faces eastward - one must enter it by going west, with your back to the rising sun, or following it's path west as it sets.

Ezekiel is a reliable prophet, and Matthew a reliable Witness.

Top Bottom