Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
As you age, do you worry about climbing stairs in your home?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As you age, do you worry about climbing stairs in your home?

Not yet, hopefully I've got several decades before stairs become a problem. Which is just as well, given how many of them there are in my house.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When we purchased our home 8 years ago (which put us both in our early 60s) we wanted a house with no stairs. At the time, I was already dealing with arthritic knees.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's not something I would worry about. if it becomes a problem we could just downsize to a one story house

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's not something I would worry about. if it becomes a problem we could just downsize to a one story house

I figure it's easier to fit a stairlift than relocate, although if/when we can't cope with stairs then moving to a single-storey house becomes a far more attractive proposition. At that point I'm unlikely to need space for lots of big heavy power tools, so losing the basement isn't necessarily such a big deal.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Stairs are a hassle and can even be a danger for some seniors and disabled. Thing is.... here in the People's Republic of California you pay a BIG premium for a single story house or condo IF you can even find one! They haven't built any one story homes here in decades (at least not in cities) and when they do these days, they are perhaps 2 or 3 million bucks. Or more. I feel badly for those who NEED a single story home: one story homes crew up a lot more land, require a bigger lot, and that shoots the price WAY up.

My parents have a one-story home built in the 1970's. It's small (1500 square feet) on a smallish lot (6,000) and very minimal - nothing fancy or luxurious. But it would sell for well over one million - and sell in a day. The demand for one story homes is huge.

Yeah, IF a "stairlift" system is possible, that's a lot cheaper.... but not as nice.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Stairs are a hassle and can even be a danger for some seniors and disabled. Thing is.... here in the People's Republic of California you pay a BIG premium for a single story house or condo IF you can even find one! They haven't built any one story homes here in decades (at least not in cities) and when they do these days, they are perhaps 2 or 3 million bucks. Or more. I feel badly for those who NEED a single story home: one story homes crew up a lot more land, require a bigger lot, and that shoots the price WAY up.

My parents have a one-story home built in the 1970's. It's small (1500 square feet) on a smallish lot (6,000) and very minimal - nothing fancy or luxurious. But it would sell for well over one million - and sell in a day. The demand for one story homes is huge.

Yeah, IF a "stairlift" system is possible, that's a lot cheaper.... but not as nice.

A stairlift is probably less than a million bucks.

Round here single storey is pretty common, although a lot of them also have a basement. If you can't find a single-storey house the next question is whether you have a downstairs bathroom and a downstairs room you can turn into a bedroom. If so you can more or less ignore upstairs.

Top Bottom