Scientific American Endorses Joe Biden For Its First Presidential Endorsement In 175 Years

oauccer972

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
" Four years ago, the magazine flagged Donald Trump's disdain for science as "frightening" but did not go so far as to endorse his rival, Hillary Clinton. This year, its editors came to a different conclusion. "A 175-year tradition is not something you break lightly," editor in chief, Laura Helmuth told The Washington Post on Tuesday. "We'd love to stay out of politics, but this president has been so anti-science that we can't ignore it." "

Crazy to think that more and more companies and organizations are starting to show who they want to endorse, even if they aren't really into politics anymore or haven't gone for someone in a very long time. I wonder what other companies will be next to show who they want to support with either money/donations, or a flatout press release.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some of what Trump says is worrying, even from the perspective of leaning right politically. That said I think it's pretty clear the Democrats would have bungled everything too - Nancy Pelosi was gushing about how it was all an overreaction and people should go to celebrate the Chinese New Year, as did Bill de Blasio and Andrew Cuomo. The people complaining that Trump didn't do enough early enough would almost certainly have complained of overreach had he demanded that everything shut down.

In many ways I think a major problem with science is that so much is presented as if it were binary. As one article I read recently put it, risk isn't binary, it's not a simple matter that everything is either "safe" or "dangerous". But we've gotten to a point where everything has to work on social media so all that ever gets presented is hard-and-fast rules. So you get the people who think that staying 6'1 from someone for several hours is "safe" while passing briefly within 5'11 of them is "dangerous", all sorts of things called "best practise" that's nothing more than a mass of nonsense and contradictions, and people who insist they "follow the science" when all they do is parrot what their preferred talking head on TV said that morning.

As for the endorsements, I really wish more companies would just provide goods and services and quit fussing about politics. I really don't want buying a burger to turn into an implied statement of my political leanings.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
The anti-science culture that is growing in the USA is very troubling. Some of it has been aided and abetted by big business. I refer to the resistance to tobacco as a cause of cancer and the attacks on global warming science. Sadly there are a huge number of people who have been conditioned to believe almost anything. Skepticism is a virtue that has fallen out of fashion.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The anti-science culture that is growing in the USA is very troubling. Some of it has been aided and abetted by big business. I refer to the resistance to tobacco as a cause of cancer and the attacks on global warming science. Sadly there are a huge number of people who have been conditioned to believe almost anything. Skepticism is a virtue that has fallen out of fashion.
Some of it is aided by media bias towards a “scientific narrative” that plays to an audience or philosophy. The wildfires are a case in point. Is is trendy to blame everything bad on “Global Warming”, and there is credible evidence that above average temperatures and drier than average weather patterns have exacerbated the wildfire problem. However no news network is talking about how decades of protests from environmentalists has led to a banning of controlled burns which has resulted in those same forests having more fuel on the ground to feed a wildfire than any time in the last 1000 years (according to a 2015 Forest Service Report on the danger of uncontrollable fires due to the lack of controlled burns).

California touts its lead in Electric vehicles, but makes no mention of the fact that it needs to import the electricity to power its cities from other states because it’s laws make it impossible to generate the electricity they need. So there is no real conversations about what is necessary and what is possible ... there are just talking points and sound bytes. The gap between the narrative and reality cause people to become skeptical of any “expert” being pushed in front of a camera to “explain” what we should do (to immediately be followed by a counterpoint on another network).

It is hard to take seriously that everyone needs to abandon their car and use electric mass transit (which will make my 30 minute trip to work, 2 hours) to stop pollution causing global warming, as western forests burn releasing more greenhouse gasses than 100 years of automobile use ... or 1 volcanic eruption releases more greenhouse gas than all human activities ... EVER! The narrative needs to reflect reality rather than fantasy.

I have an example from my home state of Florida. Agriculture and Industry use 90% of all of the water consumed in the state. Of the 10% that is used by Residences, 8% is used by the people and 2% is used to water lawns. So when the state enters a drought, the Water Management Districts immediately respond in the only way a reasonable person could ... they declare a water emergency and pass draconian fines for watering your lawns more than one day a week and on any day except your approved day. The most common grass for Florida Lawns, pre-drought was St Augustine Floatam Sod. It is pest and disease resistant, shade tolerant, thick and a beautiful shade of green. It also dies in the summer heat unless watered at least twice per week. So for a 1% reduction in water usage, the Government inflicted maximum inconvenience on every Florida Homeowner and wiped out all of their lawns. However, they made no mandated efforts to reduce the other 99% of the water usage. That suggests to me that the “SCIENCE” of drought management is being guided by “POLITICS”. A symbolic gesture that made it clear that the Government was doing “something” about the problem.

(Of course the Wealthy all installed private wells that were exempt from watering restrictions, to the result has been an increase in irrigation wells across the state and thin, brown, drought resistant lawns for non-well owners (Bahia Sod is drought Tolerant).

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I disagree.

I have a Ph.D. in Physics and for some years worked as a scientist. IMO, society gives TOO MUCH credence to scientists. This was even worse some years ago (it's been in decline for a few decades now) but there is this esteem of science as somehow more true than anything else (a reflection of the extreme materialism of our time). I can assure you - with 100% certainty - that scientists are just as flawed, just as biased and just as dishonest as any one else... just because they have their doctorate in some science does NOT make them better or smarter or more objective than someone who has their doctorate in theology or history or English lit.

Now, I know the "scientific method" and the SUPPOSED skepticism.... I'm just saying, from experience, it's as distance in science as it is in history. Know, too, that scientist typically make their money in labs... doing research.... funding by the government and/or by various private organizations. Getting grants is what science is all about... and you don't get grants by being skeptical of the things the government or those donors believe, or researching things that will destroy their doctrines and cherished values, you get it by doing research that proves them right. Now, sometimes it works.... especially where there are no cherished values or views or opinions but only because it's allowed to work. And that ain't often.

Skepticism has value. But it's funny... people tend to think they are the only ones with it, the only objective and smart people - it's the guy who disagrees with them who needs to get their _______ together. Truth is.... we are all sinners, we all have "baggage"

- Josiah

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm amazed by the American opinion that because people are good at something, ergo their political opinion is perfect. Why does one who is good at making baskets in basketball ERGO have perfect political opinions? Why is an actor who makes millions per picture ERGO an expert on politics? Some rapper gives his views on some talk show and everyone considers him an expert whose opinions are perfect and flawless, what makes someone who can rap an expert on anything (especially music!)?

"Scientific American" is a (pretty bad) strictly for-profit magazine for people who aren't scientists. It's a business. Okay, nothing wrong with that. Why is it ERGO an expert on politics? It's not even very good at science, why is it considered perfect at politics?

I recall reading about when the actor Alan Alda testified before the Senate concerning some medical issue..... and all those Senators listening to his testimony. WHAT? He is an ACTOR who PLAYED a doctor on a TV Show! What is wrong with our culture? It's crazy.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I disagree.

I have a Ph.D. in Physics and for some years worked as a scientist. IMO, society gives TOO MUCH credence to scientists. This was even worse some years ago (it's been in decline for a few decades now) but there is this esteem of science as somehow more true than anything else (a reflection of the extreme materialism of our time). I can assure you - with 100% certainty - that scientists are just as flawed, just as biased and just as dishonest as any one else... just because they have their doctorate in some science does NOT make them better or smarter or more objective than someone who has their doctorate in theology or history or English lit.

Now, I know the "scientific method" and the SUPPOSED skepticism.... I'm just saying, from experience, it's as distance in science as it is in history. Know, too, that scientist typically make their money in labs... doing research.... funding by the government and/or by various private organizations. Getting grants is what science is all about... and you don't get grants by being skeptical of the things the government or those donors believe, or researching things that will destroy their doctrines and cherished values, you get it by doing research that proves them right. Now, sometimes it works.... especially where there are no cherished values or views or opinions but only because it's allowed to work. And that ain't often.

Skepticism has value. But it's funny... people tend to think they are the only ones with it, the only objective and smart people - it's the guy who disagrees with them who needs to get their _______ together. Truth is.... we are all sinners, we all have "baggage"

- Josiah

This is a really good point. A friend of mine is a scientist and seems to spend as much of his time scratching around for grants as actually researching anything. It's not as if he's not very good at it - he's internationally published - but the way the system works offers him virtually no job security so he's hunting for people to fund his research. And given the old saying "he who pays the piper picks the tune" it's easy to see how someone might be concerned, if not outright afraid, that publishing findings the funder disliked could mean that you can't feed your family next month.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is a really good point. A friend of mine is a scientist and seems to spend as much of his time scratching around for grants as actually researching anything. It's not as if he's not very good at it - he's internationally published - but the way the system works offers him virtually no job security so he's hunting for people to fund his research. And given the old saying "he who pays the piper picks the tune" it's easy to see how someone might be concerned, if not outright afraid, that publishing findings the funder disliked could mean that you can't feed your family next month.

You have a good handle on the situation.

Top Bottom