Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Can one person hold multiple religious beliefs?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It depends on what counts as a "religious belief" I guess.

If a religion believes in multiple gods I suppose in theory someone could mix and match. One might not believe in any gods but say an occasional prayer to one or more deities as an insurance policy of sorts.

Where beliefs relate to practises it's easy to mix and match. One might take OT law and avoid pork and shellfish, throw in a bit of Hinduism and avoid eating beef, but not actively practise anything recognisable as a religion outside of that.

It's hard to see how someone could combine the Christian God's insistence that he is the ony god with any form of recognition of other gods, although some might argue that a vegetarian Christian was combining teachings from the Hare Krishnas even if the vegetarian Christian was avoiding meat for health reasons rather than anything related to the Hare Krishnas.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Certainly. I can't think of any religion that doesn't affirm a number of different beliefs.

I'm thinking that the question intended to get at some other idea, however. For example, a person considering himself to be an unofficial adherent of several different religions at once. I don't think that I know any such people though.

There are also those who admire different religions or say that they find "truth" IN different religions, or even that all religions lead to God, etc., but all of that would seem to be less than the question was asking us about.

Top Bottom