Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What is the oldest piece of technical equipment you still use?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Load of older stuff. My tablet is from 2014. My laptop is from 2012. I have a Bluetooth speaker that's from about 2012-3 (I forget just how old it is).

If appliances count as technology I have a chest freezer from 2009 and our fridge, oven and washer/dryer are at least 20 years old. I have no idea how old the garage door opener is, but it's old enough to not have the fancy eye on it that stops it from closing if you walk underneath it.

If by "technical equipment" you also include things like precision tools, I have a couple of micrometers that my father used when he was in school so that dates them at 50+ years old. One of them may have belonged to his father, I'm not sure.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I use a wooden spoon every day … that is Neolithic technology. ;)

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is brand new, but a flip phone purposefully to avoid smart phone and it is a 4G because my old 3G was going to be cut off they said.

I also have a land line phone. Do many still have that these days?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is brand new, but a flip phone purposefully to avoid smart phone and it is a 4G because my old 3G was going to be cut off they said.

I have a landline phone. It's a DECT doodad from about 2009. We have an older style phone that plugs into a socket and is corded that we bought in 2012 when we were expecting a major storm. It has only been used a couple of times to make sure it still works, and sits unloved in a dark closet somewhere. If we're ever due another big storm it could be handy.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I still have some pieces of old tech, but I can’t think of any that I’m currently using

Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have a landline too. I live way out in the "boonies" and sometimes I can't get a signal for my mobile phone. I also only really use my mobile phone for emergencies. Anyone calling me, calls me on my landline phone.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Hmm. Broom. Dustpan. I bottle fruit and use lemon juice as an ingredient in dish-washing. I've scythed grass. Homemade beer to kill snails. I hang clothes instead of using a dryer. I've washed clothes using a bucket and hot water. I like hot water as cleaning agent instead of chemicals. I boil water for coffee instead of using a kettle or coffee maker. I burn trash. I've burned things for heat. I've used urine as a fertilizer. I have a cat instead of mousetraps. I have plans for a blowgun. I have an axe for cutting wood. I used a hand saw to cut down a large tree by hand.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

That’s how I got my first flip phone … they mailed it to me free with a note that my 1G brick would soon no longer work so I had to use this free phone instead. I miss it when phones had a big GREEN button to answer and a small RED button to hang up and I didn’t need to claw at the screen like an animal to convince a phone that I was actually “sliding” like it demanded before it would answer the call and stop ringing.

OMG … I am a curmudgeon! :)

Last edited:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hmm. Broom. Dustpan. I bottle fruit and use lemon juice as an ingredient in dish-washing. I've scythed grass. Homemade beer to kill snails. I hang clothes instead of using a dryer. I've washed clothes using a bucket and hot water. I like hot water as cleaning agent instead of chemicals. I boil water for coffee instead of using a kettle or coffee maker. I burn trash. I've burned things for heat. I've used urine as a fertilizer. I have a cat instead of mousetraps. I have plans for a blowgun. I have an axe for cutting wood. I used a hand saw to cut down a large tree by hand.

That reminded me of the time I took a couple of trees out from my back garden. I cut the branches off with a saw and fed them to a shredder (mains powered, not totally done by hand). Then I cut the stumps until they were about six feet tall, tied a heavy rope in a loop around them both and twisted a metal bar in the rope to slowly tighten it, and use one stump to loosen the other one. As the tension in the rope increased I used a metal wedge and a sledgehammer to break the roots until they were loose. Then I could break the other half of the roots and get the stumps out of the ground.

As I get older I like more and more solutions that don't increase reliance on technology doing it all for us.

Top Bottom