Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Paul gives us this list of things in Titus 1 about the qualities of an elder or overseer. Is this in your opinion the main leader of the church today or are there other offices that help lead the church? Paul mentions the leader is to be a man. Does your church do this? I noticed some Baptist churches have deaconness and deacons and allow women to serve in this capacity

5 "For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. 7 For the overseer must be above reproach as God’s steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8 but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict." Titus 1:5-9, NASB

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is the clergy that the relevant verses refer to, not Sunday School teachers, Ushers, Board members, etc., all of which might be called leaders of some sort.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One of our three pastors is a female but I do believe its most biblically and historically accurate for male only clergy. Although she does a great job I'd prefer her title and function to be more attuned to a Deaconess' roll. What helps me tolerate this situation is at least the Senior pastor is male.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is the clergy that the relevant verses refer to, not Sunday School teachers, Ushers, Board members, etc., all of which might be called leaders of some sort.

So, what other leaders do you have that are ordained or appointed by the church? I believe i am right in saying that some denominations the church has a group of elders which includes the pastor, but is not limited to him. Other churches have deacons or bishops

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So, what other leaders do you have that are ordained or appointed by the church? I believe i am right in saying that some denominations the church has a group of elders which includes the pastor, but is not limited to him. Other churches have deacons or bishops

Deacons, Presbyters/Priests, and Bishops are the historic and Biblical clergy of the church. There are many other helpers or congregational officers, etc., all of which may reasonably enough be termed leaders of some sort. Yes, there are boards in each congregation, educational staff, and lay ministers as well.

Historically, a Bishop is a Presbyter who was given regional oversight because the church was expanding. As has been noted before, the New Testament gives the qualifications for all these ordained ministers, and the requirements are for males (among other things). But again, that does not mean that women may not play roles of great importance, so long as it is not as a Deacon, Presbyter, or Bishop.

Top Bottom