NIV, NLT, CSB or ESV

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Sure, I get that women are more interested in pretty things than men are. I'm just not sure the extent that people would read, or not read, a book like the Bible based on how physically attractive it is.

If you had a pretty hairbrush that you loved and a plain hairbrush at the back of a drawer in the bathroom somewhere, and you lost your pretty hairbrush, I imagine you'd still brush your hair with the plain one rather than simply not brush your hair at all, right?
I read my current Bible most days and it’s…..kind of gaudy. Teal, dark grey, and an imprinted pattern on it that sort of looks like lace.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Speaking of Bibles, has anyone ever heard of the company I almost ordered from called Hosanna Revival? Is it a reputable company?
Yes.

Hosanna Revival Bibles are sold on Amazon, at Target, at Lifeway (a large Christian Store), Esty and direct from the company. They do appear to specialize in making books that are more attractive than the typical bulk publisher and from what I read often work with large publishers to offer “special editions” of their bibles.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I read my current Bible most days and it’s…..kind of gaudy. Teal, dark grey, and an imprinted pattern on it that sort of looks like lace.
I am reading from the Orthodox Study Bible and it has some very ornate picture plates placed in various places throughout.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes.

Hosanna Revival Bibles are sold on Amazon, at Target, at Lifeway (a large Christian Store), Esty and direct from the company. They do appear to specialize in making books that are more attractive than the typical bulk publisher and from what I read often work with large publishers to offer “special editions” of their bibles.
So, they’re on the up and up?

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The one I wanted from H.R. is a soft pastel color and faint white floral outlines, but it’s cloth over board and I think it would be hard to keep clean, plus I don’t think Jesus’ words are in red, which I prefer. The red makes it so much easier to find His words. So the two toned brown/tan leather-like cover with my name on it is what I bought. But the other one is sooo pretty…..

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The one I wanted from H.R. is a soft pastel color and faint white floral outlines, but it’s cloth over board and I think it would be hard to keep clean, plus I don’t think Jesus’ words are in red, which I prefer. The red makes it so much easier to find His words. So the two toned brown/tan leather-like cover with my name on it is what I bought. But the other one is sooo pretty…..
I think you did well. The brown one will look better in 10 years as it will not show dirt and is more easily cleaned. Probably more durable of a cover too.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think you did well. The brown one will look better in 10 years as it will not show dirt and is more easily cleaned. Probably more durable of a cover too.
True. Plus my birthday is coming up so I bought a really pretty Bible case.

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes
I’m looking for possibly buying a new Bible. I currently use the NIV most often.Which translation(or are they paraphrases?) is best….NIV, NLT, CSB or ESV?
I want as good of a translation, not paraphrase, as posssible, with it being true to English,easy to understand.
I highly recommend you watch the following scholarly documentary first...

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes
Too late.
I still think each believer on Christ Jesus ought to see that documentary so as to understand that not all claimed Bible scholars are true Bible scholars. These latter days is the greatest time of deceptions that has ever been in Christian history, because Satan's host have violently been changing God's Holy Writ with their later Bible versions.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I highly recommend you watch the following scholarly documentary first...

It might be helpful to explain why you like the video, what sort of thing we might expect from watching it etc.

Many people (myself included) aren't inclined to sit through a video just because someone posts it and says they should watch it.

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes
It might be helpful to explain why you like the video, what sort of thing we might expect from watching it etc.

Many people (myself included) aren't inclined to sit through a video just because someone posts it and says they should watch it.
It documents the fallacy of newer Bible versions that claim to be more accurate but in reality have been used to try and change the Traditional Bible text. One simply need to watch the documentary to understand how that has come about.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It documents the fallacy of newer Bible versions that claim to be more accurate but in reality have been used to try and change the Traditional Bible text. One simply need to watch the documentary to understand how that has come about.

Given the video is only just shy of three hours in length I'd honestly want a lot more than that before allocating that much of my life to watching it.

Maybe a few examples of where you believe the text of Scripture has been changed as you describe. At least that way people can compare the different versions for themselves and decide whether it's worth spending three hours to find out any more.

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes
Given the video is only just shy of three hours in length I'd honestly want a lot more than that before allocating that much of my life to watching it.

Maybe a few examples of where you believe the text of Scripture has been changed as you describe. At least that way people can compare the different versions for themselves and decide whether it's worth spending three hours to find out any more.
Well, your choice to watch it or not. And it's not like a trap. It's a real Bible scholarly documentary with a lot of Bible history. That's why it's long.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, your choice to watch it or not. And it's not like a trap. It's a real Bible scholarly documentary with a lot of Bible history. That's why it's long.

So you don't feel like offering even a taste of what I might expect if I spend hours watching the thing? If not, it's not exactly a great advert. With respect, someone I don't know on the internet telling me it's a scholarly documentary doesn't actually mean anything at all. Let's be frank, not very many traps are offered as "hey, avoid this, it's a trap", right?

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes
So you don't feel like offering even a taste of what I might expect if I spend hours watching the thing? If not, it's not exactly a great advert. With respect, someone I don't know on the internet telling me it's a scholarly documentary doesn't actually mean anything at all. Let's be frank, not very many traps are offered as "hey, avoid this, it's a trap", right?
It's up to you if you want to watch it or not. I'm not going to try and twist your arm.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's up to you if you want to watch it or not. I'm not going to try and twist your arm.

I'm not asking you to twist my arm, I was just asking for some insight into what the video is about given it's nearly three hours. Apparently you'd rather spend time arguing over it than spend the same time offering a paragraph or two about the video itself. Never mind.

Joelightening

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I’m looking for possibly buying a new Bible. I currently use the NIV most often.Which translation(or are they paraphrases?) is best….NIV, NLT, CSB or ESV?
I want as good of a translation, not paraphrase, as posssible, with it being true to English,easy to understand.
The ESV is the best English version.

Top Bottom