Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have heard two or three times recently that Moses supposedly wrote Genesis. Besides tradition, what is the evidence that this is true? Does it matter to you that it is or not Moses who wrote it? I think it just as likely that it is someone that we don't even know the name of or that played a minor role in the Bible story. I suppose the argument for Moses may be that he spent an awful lot of time talking with God and that he was well educated when he grew up in Egypt and probably had good writing ability

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There's Tradition.... and when something from the Pentateuch is quoted/reference (including by Jesus), we often find the expression "Moses wrote...." (for example, John 5:46-47).

But OBVIOUSLY, some was contributed later (um, his death is recorded in the Pentateuch!) and very likely some incorporated from other sources (the material in Genesis 1-11... perhaps all before Moses). So, not every word was likely penned by him, but generally...

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
There's Tradition.... and when something from the Pentateuch is quoted/reference (including by Jesus), we often find the expression "Moses wrote...." (for example, John 5:46-47).

But OBVIOUSLY, some was contributed later (um, his death is recorded in the Pentateuch!) and very likely some incorporated from other sources (the material in Genesis 1-11... perhaps all before Moses). So, not every word was likely penned by him, but generally...

Obviously? What a testimony.

Why is the recorded death of Moses proof that Moses did not write Genesis or the Pentateuch?

Where do you get the idea that Moses 'generally' wrote the Pentateuch?

What a testimony of unbelief you present.

Lees

Top Bottom