Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I think, from what I've read recently and not too in-depth, that the word Lukewarm is found only twice and in the book of Revelation. Yet, it is a word used by some groups of Christians often as they try to describe other Christians. Is there a similar word in Greek that is used elsewhere in scripture?

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think, from what I've read recently and not too in-depth, that the word Lukewarm is found only twice and in the book of Revelation. Yet, it is a word used by some groups of Christians often as they try to describe other Christians. Is there a similar word in Greek that is used elsewhere in scripture?

I cannot answer to your question about Greek words although I see that Revelation refers to the church in Laodicea and not individual men which to me means that the verse is often taken out of context. The church in Laodicea had built an aqueduct at a distance that made the hot springs water brought to them too lukewarm to bathe and too lukewarm to be drinkable, and when men drank it they spit it out or it could make them sick, most probable conclusion would be the sulfur from the hot springs. The water, then, was useless and we too are warned about being useless and as a church we are to be a community to reach out to our fellow man who is always in our need and not become a rich, elite church.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The only place I found the word lukewarm is in Revelation 3:16 which is the transliterated word chliaros χλιαρός which means
tepid, lukewarm
or
metaph. of the condition of the soul wretchedly fluctuating between a torpor and a fervour of love

where else did you find it?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The only place I found the word lukewarm is in Revelation 3:16 which is the transliterated word chliaros χλιαρός which means
tepid, lukewarm
or
metaph. of the condition of the soul wretchedly fluctuating between a torpor and a fervour of love

where else did you find it?

You're right! The search I had done gave 2 Revelation verses...one had covered more ground than the other so I assumed it was mentioning 2 verses for some reason! Thanks for catching that :)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Robert Mounce, a scholar at Whitworth University, wrote one of the best books on Revelation. He explains the letter to Laodicea in Revelation 3 by sharing the geographic feature of Laodicea.
Laodicea was on a crossroad of two Roman roads. There was no natural water source nearby so the Romans built two aquiducts to supply the city. One came from a hot spring many miles away and the other came from a cold spring many miles away. By the time the two aquiducts made it to Laodicea the water from both sources was lukewarm and not useful for refreshing drink or for hot water bathing or cooking. Jesus was directly referencing something the Laodiceans would clearly understand. This is why Jesus declares that he wishes the Laodiceans were either hot or cold. Both types of water are useful. Lukewarm water is not readily used.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Wilhemena and MennoSota both wrote about the aqueducts...don't you just love history? It helps to make sense of a text since we weren't living back then to know what is meant merely by reading.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I cannot answer to your question about Greek words although I see that Revelation refers to the church in Laodicea and not individual men which to me means that the verse is often taken out of context. The church in Laodicea had built an aqueduct at a distance that made the hot springs water brought to them too lukewarm to bathe and too lukewarm to be drinkable, and when men drank it they spit it out or it could make them sick, most probable conclusion would be the sulfur from the hot springs. The water, then, was useless and we too are warned about being useless and as a church we are to be a community to reach out to our fellow man who is always in our need and not become a rich, elite church.

Jesus said that salt that loses its saltiness is useless and will be thrown out. That is the same idea as the lukewarmness attributed to the Laodicean Church.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said that salt that loses its saltiness is useless and will be thrown out. That is the same idea as the lukewarmness attributed to the Laodicean Church.
Also it is hard to dispute that this is the church age in which we live as at least here in the USA church attendance has fallen off and there is a general disrespect towards anything God centered. I am sure I will get some arguments about this but it is what I see, there is a vast difference in peoples attitudes and morals from when I was a child and now.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Wilhemena and MennoSota both wrote about the aqueducts...don't you just love history? It helps to make sense of a text since we weren't living back then to know what is meant merely by reading.
Find Mounce's book on Revelation and read the geographic and historic connections for all seven churches. It's fascinating. Jesus reference to the church that had fallen asleep has an amazing connection to an event in that cities history, which every member of the church in the city would immediately connect.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Find Mounce's book on Revelation and read the geographic and historic connections for all seven churches. It's fascinating. Jesus reference to the church that had fallen asleep has an amazing connection to an event in that cities history, which every member of the church in the city would immediately connect.

Jesus did that a lot where he would compare the faith to the things that the people could relate to. :)

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
hearts waxed cold?
being luke warm reminds me of people who grew complacent and ceased to preach to those who are without the washing of the Word.

someone who would tolerate liars bringing a wedge between brothers and sisters.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Also it is hard to dispute that this is the church age in which we live as at least here in the USA church attendance has fallen off and there is a general disrespect towards anything God centered. I am sure I will get some arguments about this but it is what I see, there is a vast difference in peoples attitudes and morals from when I was a child and now.

I reckon it was a Church in the Roman province of Asia like Revelation says it is.
Revelation 1:4 From John, to the seven churches of Asia: receive grace and peace from him who is, who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits of God, which are before his throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us, and has washed away our sins with his own blood, 6 making us a kingdom, and priests for God, his Father, to him, be the glory and power, for ever and ever. Amen. 7 See, he comes with the clouds, and everyone will see him, even those who pierced him; on his account, all the nations of the earth will beat their breast. Yes. It will be so. 8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “the one who is, and who was, and who is to come: the Master of the universe.”​

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I reckon it was a Church in the Roman province of Asia like Revelation says it is.
Revelation 1:4 From John, to the seven churches of Asia: receive grace and peace from him who is, who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits of God, which are before his throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us, and has washed away our sins with his own blood, 6 making us a kingdom, and priests for God, his Father, to him, be the glory and power, for ever and ever. Amen. 7 See, he comes with the clouds, and everyone will see him, even those who pierced him; on his account, all the nations of the earth will beat their breast. Yes. It will be so. 8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “the one who is, and who was, and who is to come: the Master of the universe.”​

And like most scripture there are layers of meaning to it, some physical, some spiritual.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
hearts waxed cold?
being luke warm reminds me of people who grew complacent and ceased to preach to those who are without the washing of the Word.

Ephesians 5 New International Version (NIV)

5 1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[a] 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord.

11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:

“Wake up, sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”

Expose the fruitless deeds of darkness, yes.
No good tree bears bad fruit, nor are they to be fruitless.
Faith without works is dead.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
hearts waxed cold?

"Hearts waxed cold" refers to "hearts grown cold" the idea of "waxed" is drawn from waxing a wick by dipping it into melted wax repeatedly until the wax is thick enough to become a candle. The wax "grows" with each dip into the melted wax. Thus waxing is to grow a thing by constant exposure to the source of the wax, that is, melted wax. I imagine "hearts grown cold" is easier for a modern reader to understand but it losses a little of the visual imagery that "hearts waxed cold" carries.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
"Hearts waxed cold" refers to "hearts grown cold" the idea of "waxed" is drawn from waxing a wick by dipping it into melted wax repeatedly until the wax is thick enough to become a candle. The wax "grows" with each dip into the melted wax. Thus waxing is to grow a thing by constant exposure to the source of the wax, that is, melted wax. I imagine "hearts grown cold" is easier for a modern reader to understand but it losses a little of the visual imagery that "hearts waxed cold" carries.

true, i tend to have a more poetic love of the language that not many would see the relative word waxing and waning in the phases of the moon.
"though the lesser light might give sight to a soul in the spirit of understanding as waters of the second day wash over. there still remains the Sun of Righteousness rising with healing wings to temper the silver and gold of this tent of a body.

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
And like most scripture there are layers of meaning to it, some physical, some spiritual.
The Church Age theory has been thoroughly debunked. It is and has been a popular myth taught in the US, mainly by those who imagine that the US is the center of God's affection.
Go to all the churches around the world that are suffering under great oppression and tell them they are lukewarm.
Sorry, but the Age theory is just bad biblical interpretation.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
An old man was relaxing in a chair by a pool. A man in a bathing suit walks up to him and ask "Is the pool warm?" and the old man replied "lukewarm". So the man dives into the pool and immediately crawls out shaking. He tells the old man "its freezing! Why did you tell me it was lukewarm??"
The old man replied "I dunno look warm to me"

-Welcome back, Kotter :)

Top Bottom