Living with PTSD

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I have had this for many years. Here is some information on it: https://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/posttraumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/symptoms

PTSD is diagnosed after a person experiences symptoms for at least one month following a traumatic event. However symptoms may not appear until several months or even years later. The disorder is characterized by three main types of symptoms:

Re-experiencing the trauma through intrusive distressing recollections of the event, flashbacks, and nightmares.
Emotional numbness and avoidance of places, people, and activities that are reminders of the trauma.
Increased arousal such as difficulty sleeping and concentrating, feeling jumpy, and being easily irritated and angered.
Diagnosis criteria that apply to adults, adolescents, and children older than six include those below. Read more details here.

Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violation:

directly experiencing the traumatic events
witnessing, in person, the traumatic events

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have had this for many years. Here is some information on it: https://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/posttraumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/symptoms

PTSD is diagnosed after a person experiences symptoms for at least one month following a traumatic event. However symptoms may not appear until several months or even years later. The disorder is characterized by three main types of symptoms:

Re-experiencing the trauma through intrusive distressing recollections of the event, flashbacks, and nightmares.
Emotional numbness and avoidance of places, people, and activities that are reminders of the trauma.
Increased arousal such as difficulty sleeping and concentrating, feeling jumpy, and being easily irritated and angered.
Diagnosis criteria that apply to adults, adolescents, and children older than six include those below. Read more details here.

Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violation:

directly experiencing the traumatic events
witnessing, in person, the traumatic events

PTSD sucks! :banghead: I have it from past abuse and my husband has it from the Army. :(

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
PTSD sucks! :banghead: I have it from past abuse and my husband has it from the Army. :(

Oh that's terrible.
Luckily I don't have it. Only when my crush touched my throat for a moment I thought he was gonna kill me and was a mass murderer after all, just because one weird ex tried to choke me, but that's just one silly thing I can laugh of afterwards. That must be really hard. I read about it from a man who was a pastor in a war. He couldn't walk through an innocent wood here, because he was convinced there were mines.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
My doctor prescribed a pill for me on Monday that helps with flashbacks and intrusive thoughts/images. It seems to be helping.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My doctor prescribed a pill for me on Monday that helps with flashbacks and intrusive thoughts/images. It seems to be helping.

I have my doctor give me something for the nightmares starts with a P. They give it to war vets as well. I need also something for this as they won't go away so I sleep to keep them quiet.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I have my doctor give me something for the nightmares starts with a P. They give it to war vets as well. I need also something for this as they won't go away so I sleep to keep them quiet.

I know what you mean Krissy. I sleep a lot too. The med I take starts with a P, too. It has decreased the intensity of the intrusive thoughts/images but they are still there. I just got a smart tv. Trying to watch some good concerts on Youtube at times helps take my mind off things for awhile. It's trial and error trying to find things that work to help decrease PTSD symptoms. There is hope.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know what you mean Krissy. I sleep a lot too. The med I take starts with a P, too. It has decreased the intensity of the intrusive thoughts/images but they are still there. I just got a smart tv. Trying to watch some good concerts on Youtube at times helps take my mind off things for awhile. It's trial and error trying to find things that work to help decrease PTSD symptoms. There is hope.

When I'm having "bad thoughts" I watch netflix. I usually start having bad thoughts when it gets dark. Jordan tries to make me go to bed before it gets dark but I don't always want to go to bed. :p

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
When I'm having "bad thoughts" I watch netflix. I usually start having bad thoughts when it gets dark. Jordan tries to make me go to bed before it gets dark but I don't always want to go to bed. :p
I'm going to be signing up for Netflix probably tomorrow or soon. I like that new show on tv called Kevin Can Wait. Watched it for the first time tonight. TV helps with the bad images for me, too.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm going to be signing up for Netflix probably tomorrow or soon. I like that new show on tv called Kevin Can Wait. Watched it for the first time tonight. TV helps with the bad images for me, too.

But you have to remember to watch good tv when your having those thoughts. When I start having them Jordan will either a cartoon for me. (I'm such a kid) or I can put something on.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I like to watch comedy and Kevin Can Wait is a comedy and makes me laugh and takes my mind off of me troubles for awhile. Sometimes I like to watch Sponge Bob Square Pants cartoon, too. Going to sign up for Netflix tomorrow when I'll have some money in my bank account again. I'm broke tonight...lol

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
That pill or capsule that I have been taking..I think it is called Prazolin or something like that. It is for flashbacks and other PTSD symptoms. My doctor told me it is actually a blood pressure med. I took 2 of them at one time last night. I thought the bottle said I could but I misread. It said 1 or 2 a day. Anyhow I felt really really weak after taking 2 of them at once. I'm not going to do that again. I don't think that pill is doing much for me actually.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That pill or capsule that I have been taking..I think it is called Prazolin or something like that. It is for flashbacks and other PTSD symptoms. My doctor told me it is actually a blood pressure med. I took 2 of them at one time last night. I thought the bottle said I could but I misread. It said 1 or 2 a day. Anyhow I felt really really weak after taking 2 of them at once. I'm not going to do that again. I don't think that pill is doing much for me actually.

Yep thats it. My husband took it before I was prescribed it. It messed him up really bad. He said he couldn't even get out of bed. For me taking this pills I think its kinda funny as its giving me MORE dreams. Not scary ones but more dreams. Weird when I usual don't dream and now I'm dreaming like every night.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yep thats it. My husband took it before I was prescribed it. It messed him up really bad. He said he couldn't even get out of bed. For me taking this pills I think its kinda funny as its giving me MORE dreams. Not scary ones but more dreams. Weird when I usual don't dream and now I'm dreaming like every night.
But does it help you?

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
For the most part but I'm thinking about asking my doctor if she can up it.

I just took one tonight and my mouth is really dry. It is helping a little bit, just a bit.

Joy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Have either of you tried PureFlix? It's a lot like NetFlix but with programs more geared toward Christian and family-friendly content. :)

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Have either of you tried PureFlix? It's a lot like NetFlix but with programs more geared toward Christian and family-friendly content. :)

I've heard of it. It does cost money so I will talk to my husband and see if we can get it. :)

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Will God heal this miraculously if we pray long enough, or do we need to get medication and therapy?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
God can and may cure any misfortune. But that does not mean that Earthly medicine is not to be used. After all, God made all of that possible and He may very well direct the believer to the right course of action involving medicine, counseling, etc.

What people tend to expect as an answer to prayer is some sort of instantaneous miracle, but God is much more likely to answer prayer by making ordinary, physical, aids succeed.

Consider that Jesus employed them Himself when assisting someone in need--His spittle and mud in the case of the blind man, for instance. He could just as well have willed it done and accomplished the same result. When the Apostles were fishing and had no success, Jesus told them to lower their nets and then , upon them doing so, they took in a big haul. Why didn't Jesus simply make the boat be suddenly full of fish and avoid having the men bother with the nets and pulling in the catch in the way they were used to?

siddhi koli

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The doctor prescribed a sleeping pill and an anti-depressant pill.(olanzapine and fluoxetine) I recovered completely.But falls asleep .
depression did not go away.
I have stopped the anti-depressant pill the first doctor gave me
I went to a psychiatrist from Apollo Hospital who prescribed a new pill because my whole body is hurting. I feel good that he gave me three pills. That pill name is trifluoperazine and benzhexol hydrochloride
quetiapine fumarate tablet ip 50 mg

sertraline tablets ip And I gained weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom