... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I did my intermediate level hike today, about 9 miles and a little under 2000 feet of elevation gain. One of my preferred trails is getting overgrown, to the point it took me a couple of attempts to figure out which bit was the trail head. I need to get up there with a weed whacker before long and cut some of the growth back.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I did my intermediate level hike today, about 9 miles and a little under 2000 feet of elevation gain. One of my preferred trails is getting overgrown, to the point it took me a couple of attempts to figure out which bit was the trail head. I need to get up there with a weed whacker before long and cut some of the growth back.

I'm wishing to get back up to 4 miles but I just have too much to do during my days before it gets hot! 9 miles is impressive! How long did it take you?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm wishing to get back up to 4 miles but I just have too much to do during my days before it gets hot! 9 miles is impressive! How long did it take you?

My Fitbit clocked 186 minutes of activity. Add in a few minutes as I sat and enjoyed the view from one of the vistas.

I don't go on longer hikes all that often - I'm usually doing well if I can get one long walk in during a week - but when I get a free day and the weather is nice I'll sometimes be out longer than that. The next step up in hikes pushes the distance up to 12 miles and 2500 feet of climbing. After that it's pretty much whatever I feel like doing, mixing and matching trails. Occasionally I lose a trail (some of them aren't marked very well) and that can add a lot to the time and distance, especially if I end up having to backtrack. This time of year the really long ones don't happen very often simply because it does get so hot and I can only carry so much water with me. Come September/October it's easier to get the longer hikes in.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My Fitbit clocked 186 minutes of activity. Add in a few minutes as I sat and enjoyed the view from one of the vistas.

I don't go on longer hikes all that often - I'm usually doing well if I can get one long walk in during a week - but when I get a free day and the weather is nice I'll sometimes be out longer than that. The next step up in hikes pushes the distance up to 12 miles and 2500 feet of climbing. After that it's pretty much whatever I feel like doing, mixing and matching trails. Occasionally I lose a trail (some of them aren't marked very well) and that can add a lot to the time and distance, especially if I end up having to backtrack. This time of year the really long ones don't happen very often simply because it does get so hot and I can only carry so much water with me. Come September/October it's easier to get the longer hikes in.

That's REALLY fast hiking then! 9 miles at a mile every 10 minutes?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's REALLY fast hiking then! 9 miles at a mile every 10 minutes?

Not that fast, not by a long shot. 9 miles in 180 minutes is a mile every 20 minutes or so, or about 3mph average. I wish I could get over that kind of terrain at 6mph!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Not that fast, not by a long shot. 9 miles in 180 minutes is a mile every 20 minutes or so, or about 3mph average. I wish I could get over that kind of terrain at 6mph!

HA! I didn't see the "1". I thought it was under 90 minutes and thought you jogged :D

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
HA! I didn't see the "1". I thought it was under 90 minutes and thought you jogged :D

Yeah, 6mph over that terrain would be impressive for someone my size. There is a guy who does another local loop (about 6 miles with 1100 feet of climbing, over rocky terrain) in under 40 minutes. My personal best for that loop is 105 minutes. This guy is literally doing 6-minute miles over steep climbs, stone steps, rocky terrain etc.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah, 6mph over that terrain would be impressive for someone my size. There is a guy who does another local loop (about 6 miles with 1100 feet of climbing, over rocky terrain) in under 40 minutes. My personal best for that loop is 105 minutes. This guy is literally doing 6-minute miles over steep climbs, stone steps, rocky terrain etc.

I'm still laughing that I thought you did it in under 90 minutes. You don't know how impressed I was with your hiking skills :D

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm still laughing that I thought you did it in under 90 minutes. You don't know how impressed I was with your hiking skills :D

The staff at the park think I'm crazy. I know most of the trails better than most of the staff there, simply because the kind of questions they normally have to deal with are more about local attractions and short gentle walks around the park. There are other people who are much more hardcore hikers than I am, it's just that most of the more serious hikers look to the map rather than necessarily expecting the staff to know about up-to-date trail conditions for a trail that's 15 miles into the woods.

One time I was in the park and someone phoned in to ask about trail conditions. The park manager gave his thoughts, then said something like "let me get another opinion" and asked me about the trail. It was a trail I hiked regularly so I could give him an update on conditions from just a few days previously. I get a bit of a chuckle out of the situation when the staff ask me about the trails in their park.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The staff at the park think I'm crazy. I know most of the trails better than most of the staff there, simply because the kind of questions they normally have to deal with are more about local attractions and short gentle walks around the park. There are other people who are much more hardcore hikers than I am, it's just that most of the more serious hikers look to the map rather than necessarily expecting the staff to know about up-to-date trail conditions for a trail that's 15 miles into the woods.

One time I was in the park and someone phoned in to ask about trail conditions. The park manager gave his thoughts, then said something like "let me get another opinion" and asked me about the trail. It was a trail I hiked regularly so I could give him an update on conditions from just a few days previously. I get a bit of a chuckle out of the situation when the staff ask me about the trails in their park.

That's hilarious! You should be getting paid :D

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's hilarious! You should be getting paid :D

I often think the company that makes the local trail maps should be paying me, I think I've generated quite a few sales from them through nothing more than talking to random people I encounter on the trails. Last time I met a couple hiking we got talking about maps and I recommended the one I use, and when I got back to the park office the administrator there said how a couple had come in saying a guy they met on the trail said they needed a particular map and she wondered if it was me.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just did my hike again. When I found the trailhead for the descending trail the other day I noticed someone had put a piece of ribbon around a nearby tree to mark it, so I could find it easily this time. I cut a little time off, clocking 167 active minutes this time. It felt like a good walk, hard work but it felt like I was able to maintain a steadier pace for longer. Interestingly this time it reported a slightly lesser distance - more like 8.4 miles when I'd always thought it was nearer to 9. Maybe I just took more longer strides this time.

This week I've been in a "workweek hustle" challenge with a couple of friends, and getting those two hikes in has opened up a nice big lead over them. I also chalked up over 1,500 floors this month, which is my best ever. Funny to think that since the start of the month I've averaged more than 50 floors per day, even if 370 of them were on two distinct days.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You need to make your own maps and sell them! Too bad Rens isn't around, she's the map Queen!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You need to make your own maps and sell them! Too bad Rens isn't around, she's the map Queen!

Making maps with enough detail to be useful would be quite an undertaking. If nothing else getting all the contours isn't a trivial process, then all the roads and trails. I have occasionally considered approaching the makers of the maps I use to see if they would be interested in paying me on a freelance basis to hike trails and submit GPS track logs. I never did that yet because I don't know that I ever want hiking to become something I have to do rather than something I want to do.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Making maps with enough detail to be useful would be quite an undertaking. If nothing else getting all the contours isn't a trivial process, then all the roads and trails. I have occasionally considered approaching the makers of the maps I use to see if they would be interested in paying me on a freelance basis to hike trails and submit GPS track logs. I never did that yet because I don't know that I ever want hiking to become something I have to do rather than something I want to do.

But think of the extra cash!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But think of the extra cash!

I suspect the cash it would take to make the map in the first place would be more than the cash I'd get from selling them. The ones I use are pretty well respected, and it's really hard to imagine doing a better job of it than they have.

If hiking turned from a passion into a job it would mean some extra cash, but it would also very likely take away from the enjoyment of hiking where and when I wanted to do it. I wouldn't want to be in a place where I found a trail that was like a tick-infested swamp but had to hike it anyway because that's what the boss needed extra detail about.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
With the exception of 1 day where I was in the car driving around most of the day I've been achieiving 10,000-12,000 steps. Most leaning toward the lower end because of things going on around here and I haven't had the opportunity to walk more.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Still maintaining my steps and added this video to get past 10,000

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Up until we left to go to our niece's wedding I was managing 10,000 steps a day. I didn't take my pedometer to South Carolina with me so I have no idea how many steps I got but my feet hurt and I was up and down flights of stairs for many days! I'm guessing over 20,000 steps each day from the fatigue in my feet and legs.

Today I have my pedometer on and once the rain ends I'll go outside and do a few loops on my block for walking.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married