Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Why do many older houses have a kitchen separate from the living room and why are open kitchens becoming more popular?

Also, is your kitchen separate from the living room?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I hate having an open kitchen! You have to see all my dirty dishes if you come over unannounced. We have open concept and I would never want another house like that.

Some very old houses actually had the cooking area in the center of the home because that also provided heat from the fire.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"Open" floor plans have become increasingly popular over the past 75 years or so. It seems the vast majority desire it, which it why builders design homes that way. Another trend is for kitchens to become more important (and often larger) over the past century. And there once were formal areas (parlor - living room plus also formal dining room or at least area). But the trend is away from that, fewer homes have BOTH a living room and a family room, BOTH a dining room and a breakfast area. Homes are becoming more united and less formal. So, the trend is clear: toward pretty much one living area - with family room, eating area and kitchen all pretty much one open space. A LOT of modern houses are already there. It 's what most people want... so it's what builders build.

IF you view homes from before WWII (and especially earlier than 1930), you'll find "closed" floor plans - neat, individual rooms (often with doors) with important central hallways. This especially in larger homes. That's what people wanted (if they could afford it). Those days are gone.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Very interesting "takes" from Lamb and Josiah on the open floor plan. Also Lamb's point about the particular disadvantage of an open floor plan so far as the kitchen is concerned.

I had never considered that point, although it makes perfect sense now that I read her post.

It also makes me think of something that's crossed my mind occasionally while watching one or another of the innumerable home modernization shows on TV. That is...what will the next trend in home interiors be, considering that the current open floor plan/stainless steel appliances/nearly completely colorless color scheme/etc. format cannot go on forever?

Top Bottom