Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
John 10:8 “All who came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.”

Who is Jesus referring to?

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
John 10:8 “All who came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.”

I believe Jesus is referring to any who came, or come, claiming the same authority from God that Jesus alone is given.

Jesus first came correctly, through the door, and the porter opened it for Him. (Jn. 10:2-3) The Porter being, I believe, God the Holy Spirit. Jesus met all qualifications. All others claiming 'like' authority must come another way and are just robbers and thieves, knowing they don't have the qualifications. (Jn. 10:1) They do not seek the Porter's approval and His opening of the door.

Jesus then becomes the door of the sheep. (Jn. 10:7) He is the entrance into salvation whereby His sheep go in and out, having pasture and protection. (Jn. 10:9,11)

All others who claim to be some sent one from God, are but thieves and robbers, (10:8), strangers, (Jn. 10:5), hirelings, (Jn. 10:12). They may obtain a position in the fold, Judaism, but were never given it by God. The Porter would never open it for them. Specific reference to the Pharisees. (Jn. 9:16) But can refer to any single individual claiming to be someone from God and gaining popularity, but not coming the correct way. (Acts 5:36-37)

The Church today is filled with such. Just like Israel in Christ's day was filled with such.

Lees

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 10:8 “All who came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to
them.” Who is Jesus referring to?

Does "all" include Moses and the prophets? Well, some of those prophets were
women, e.g. Miriam (Ex 15:20) Deborah (Judg 4:4) and Huldah (2Kgs 22:14) plus:
Abel was a prophet (Luke 11:50-51 and so was Abraham (Gen 20:7) And how
about Jesus' forerunner: John the baptizer? Was he a bad guy too?

Jesus' remark would make better sense had he used the word "many" instead of all.
_

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

@Jazzy

1. Some theorize Jesus is referring to the Pharisees and Sadducees. That seems possible.

2. Some theorize He's referring to some prophets of the OT. This is absurd.

3. Some theorize that Jesus is referring to major leaders/reformers of the past who did not succeed. Sometimes Theudas (Acts 5:36-37) is mentioned as a possibility; Josephus wrote of a "Judas" who lived a few years before Jesus and that too is sometimes mentioned. There are other names theorized too.

The Early Church Father John Chrysostom said this, "He does not here speak of the Prophets (as the heretics assert), for as many as believed on Christ did hear them also, and were persuaded by them; but of Theudas and Judas, and the other exciters of sedition. Besides, He says the sheep did not hear them, as praising them. Nowhere is He seen to praise those who refused to hearken to the Prophets, but on the contrary, to reproach and accuse them vehemently; whence it is evident that the, did not hear refers to those leaders of sedition. The thief cometh not but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy, which then took place when all their followers were slain and perished."

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was always under the impression he is speaking of other messianic claimants, of which some came just before Jesus as well as around the same time, and after as well.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Does "all" include Moses and the prophets? Well, some of those prophets were
women, e.g. Miriam (Ex 15:20) Deborah (Judg 4:4) and Huldah (2Kgs 22:14) plus:
Abel was a prophet (Luke 11:50-51 and so was Abraham (Gen 20:7) And how
about Jesus' forerunner: John the baptizer? Was he a bad guy too?

Jesus' remark would make better sense had he used the word "many" instead of all.
_

Jesus's remark makes perfect sense. And Jesus's remark made the sense He wanted it to make.

We who are Christian should not question what Jesus said. We should seek to learn the meaning of what He said.

You, however, have opted to sit as judge of what Jesus said. As though you know better.

Lees

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was always under the impression he is speaking of other messianic claimants, of which some
came just before Jesus as well as around the same time, and after as well.

I'm pretty sure it would be safe to paraphrase John 10:8 so it reads like this:

“All other messiahs who came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep
did not listen to them.”
_

Top Bottom