Helping others

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can one, being a Christian, help another who is in need, yet may be apprehensive due to past experiences. How can you comfort someone is is devastated and distraught within themself. This question pertinent as I have just come across such an individual. I know I could help them. What I don't know is how to bring down their barrier that they might accept help.

Thanks in advance.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Offer the help with absolutely no strings attached. I know of Christians helping people but afterwards they obligate them to post thank you ads in the paper.One group I know built a wheelchair ramp for a lady then trotted her out at night to come to a program to give her testimony of how they came and built the ramp.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Some help can be done anonymously like sending a gift card through the mail if there is financial need.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Many needs can be met through the church where you can give but others do not know, it also gives others a chance to give as well

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know to give without want. What I am trying to figure out is how do you help someone who is scared or apprehensive. Surely they will be calmed once they realize nothing is wanted in return, but how do you get them to trust that the help is genuine prior to accepting it and letting it run its course? Like I said, it is an immediate and direct need of a distrought, vulnerable person. How do you show them beforehand that you are not the enemy of any.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What sort of help? Help in fixing up their home? Help in providing assistance with day to day care? Help in teaching them how to do something?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I know to give without want. What I am trying to figure out is how do you help someone who is scared or apprehensive. Surely they will be calmed once they realize nothing is wanted in return, but how do you get them to trust that the help is genuine prior to accepting it and letting it run its course? Like I said, it is an immediate and direct need of a distrought, vulnerable person. How do you show them beforehand that you are not the enemy of any.

I would tell that person that you care and are there for them and want to listen to what they have to say. Then just listen without judgment and I think the answers will come to you as time passes.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Ms. Ruth.

Being a male I tend to forget being still and listening can ease pain and tension. I always want to fix things. Perhaps all that is needed at times is kindness. I was kind to them already. Perhaps that's all I could do. I will leave it to God. If it is his will then I will have another opportunity to help that particular individual.
Thanks again everyone.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What sort of help? Help in fixing up their home? Help in providing assistance with day to day care? Help in teaching them how to do something?
They are at their wicks end and seem quite fragile. They seem to have no one or place to turn to. Being a complete stranger and looking intimidating as I apparently do at times it is hard for some to accept help. What they need seems to be a caring ear, words of hope and direction and a place to get out of the elements. They said they were homeless. I replied with" me too, but I have a room, and if they need a place to rest that they could have the bed and I could take the floor. I explained that I didn't want anything, and that I would be gone early in the morning and that they could stay till checkout. Forgot that I actually am paid up for the week so they wouldn't have to worry about leaving at any particular time. I have nothing that anyone else would consider valuable and no fear of anything but God so I have nothing to loose. I have always had a soft spot for those in need. The visible anguish of others has always struck a particular cord within me.

Being apprehensive of a kind offer like that would be a normal reaction I suppose. I'm not the most social, and have problems with "normal" social interaction. Anyway...

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Only thing you can do is talk to them and trust God will show them

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
They are at their wicks end and seem quite fragile. They seem to have no one or place to turn to. Being a complete stranger and looking intimidating as I apparently do at times it is hard for some to accept help. What they need seems to be a caring ear, words of hope and direction and a place to get out of the elements. They said they were homeless. I replied with" me too, but I have a room, and if they need a place to rest that they could have the bed and I could take the floor. I explained that I didn't want anything, and that I would be gone early in the morning and that they could stay till checkout. Forgot that I actually am paid up for the week so they wouldn't have to worry about leaving at any particular time. I have nothing that anyone else would consider valuable and no fear of anything but God so I have nothing to loose. I have always had a soft spot for those in need. The visible anguish of others has always struck a particular cord within me.

Being apprehensive of a kind offer like that would be a normal reaction I suppose. I'm not the most social, and have problems with "normal" social interaction. Anyway...

If you have let them get to know you and have talked to them all you can do is make the offer and allow God to work

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Bumping up an old thread.

Did you ever encourage your friend to accept your offer of help, Pops?

What other ideas can we give to those who don't like to accept help?

Top Bottom