Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"In the historic Gospel Lesson for Maundy Thursday recorded in John 13, Jesus, the Lord, does the task of the servant, by washing his disciples’ feet. When he comes to Peter, Peter objects. In response to Peter’s objection, Jesus says, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with me.” (John 13:8) One need not insist that this washing is an allusion to baptism in order to make the more basic point: You must be served by Jesus or you have no part with him. You cannot be his disciple. You cannot be a child of God. You cannot know God. And you cannot worship God. Indeed, your worship will be a vain boast or failed bribe or useless discharge of meaningless words unless and until Jesus has served you. In fact, if God serves me, I get saved. If God doesn’t serve me, I have no part of him at all."
http://www.christforus.org/Papers/Content/why_go_to_church.html

Lutherans believe that in our Divine Service that it is God who serves. We worship Him, praise Him, give thanks, etc...but He is the one who serves us by word and sacrament. We are served by God when we attend church so that the rest of the week we can go out and serve our neighbor.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
"In the historic Gospel Lesson for Maundy Thursday recorded in John 13, Jesus, the Lord, does the task of the servant, by washing his disciples’ feet. When he comes to Peter, Peter objects. In response to Peter’s objection, Jesus says, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with me.” (John 13:8) One need not insist that this washing is an allusion to baptism in order to make the more basic point: You must be served by Jesus or you have no part with him. You cannot be his disciple. You cannot be a child of God. You cannot know God. And you cannot worship God. Indeed, your worship will be a vain boast or failed bribe or useless discharge of meaningless words unless and until Jesus has served you. In fact, if God serves me, I get saved. If God doesn’t serve me, I have no part of him at all."
http://www.christforus.org/Papers/Content/why_go_to_church.html

Lutherans believe that in our Divine Service that it is God who serves. We worship Him, praise Him, give thanks, etc...but He is the one who serves us by word and sacrament. We are served by God when we attend church so that the rest of the week we can go out and serve our neighbor.

I agree with this to an extent but a couple things stand out to me, when we are in worship it is towards God rather than God towards us, the true function of worship is to praise our Lord and Saviour and to minister to Him, yes we can receive and be strengthened by this but it is in the course of worshiping Him that this usually happens. We should be encouraged and strengthened by this so that we can go out through the week and serve Him. Also I would like to point out that while Jesus was an example unto us as servant He will return as the conquerer and king that the Jewish people were looking for when He came to earth the first time. There are so many facets to God and I love them all

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I agree with this to an extent but a couple things stand out to me, when we are in worship it is towards God rather than God towards us, the true function of worship is to praise our Lord and Saviour and to minister to Him, yes we can receive and be strengthened by this but it is in the course of worshiping Him that this usually happens. We should be encouraged and strengthened by this so that we can go out through the week and serve Him. Also I would like to point out that while Jesus was an example unto us as servant He will return as the conquerer and king that the Jewish people were looking for when He came to earth the first time. There are so many facets to God and I love them all

In Christian worship the faithful receive Jesus Christ in the holy Eucharist, he is and always will be the servant brother of the faithful as well as the Lord King of the faithful and the Prophet Word of God. The idea of Christ as priest is Christ as servant.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It's significant to note that in John 13, it is only Jesus chosen disciples that have their feet washed. It portrays the humbleness of God in condescending to humans and choosing to make them clean rather than leave all to their dirty and corrupt life.
If God can condescend to us, how can we ever lord it over the unregenerate person who has yet to be cleansed by the Savior? We are no different than the unregenerate person, except by the gracious work of Jesus. Let us consider how we treat that person who makes us uncomfortable, just as Jesus treated dirty humanity when he was in fact the Creator of the universe.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
It's significant to note that in John 13, it is only Jesus chosen disciples that have their feet washed. It portrays the humbleness of God in condescending to humans and choosing to make them clean rather than leave all to their dirty and corrupt life.
If God can condescend to us, how can we ever lord it over the unregenerate person who has yet to be cleansed by the Savior? We are no different than the unregenerate person, except by the gracious work of Jesus. Let us consider how we treat that person who makes us uncomfortable, just as Jesus treated dirty humanity when he was in fact the Creator of the universe.

i wonder about the number of them there that day?
how many disciples 11, 12, 70, 2?

Top Bottom