Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
How can we determine if an email from an unfamiliar source is legitimate or not?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I suspect any email that isn't from a friend or a business I've subscribed to. I don't click on links in emails, I prefer to go to the URL directly.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If it isn't from a familiar source and it's not expected I figure it's probably spam unless it checks out in some other way. If it has links to click then the level of suspicion goes higher.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Dodgy Source "X institution" or "X person" when return email address doesn't match
Dodgy Links, says one thing url actually goes to another
Advertises some service like checking your computer for viruses or selling some other un-asked for product

I used to work reception/clerk at a small business and would handle all the incoming email traffic. It couldn't just be ignored because there were plenty of legit messages/inquires from persons and institutions I was unfamiliar with. So a level of discernment had to be applied on a case by case basis. I never got scammed in the year or so I was there, but the lady who worked the same position on the days I was off did.

Top Bottom