Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have heard people say for years that you should memorize scripture and I have done that some, but end up forgetting exact wording. Do you memorize scripture regularly? Which passages would you recommend and why?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I tend to remember Scriptures that keep coming up during reading/study time. It's hard to recommend specific ones because it's often about the ones that are relevant to you - whether they are relevant to questions you keep getting asked, or problems you are facing, or things that often encourage you, they relate to you. The verses that encourage me might not encourage you, and vice versa.

As long as you remember the meaning and the context I wouldn't worry too much if you get the precise wording wrong. If I'm talking to someone about Scripture, especially if it's another Christian, I'm not going to sweat it if I'm not word-perfect as long as what I remember is true to the meaning and not taken out of context.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
I am at that time of my life when the entire memory capacity of my brain is used up. To learn anything new is at the cost of an old memory being deleted. This usually happens in a random way. I live in dread of learning something new and forgetting my wife's name.

Lazy Suesun

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
I memorize scripture verbatim at times, but am lousy in being consistent in also recalling book, chapter, verse.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
As in the Book of Eli, if we all memorized our part, if it ever happens... as in Fahrenheit 451, could piece it back together.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am at that time of my life when the entire memory capacity of my brain is used up. To learn anything new is at the cost of an old memory being deleted. This usually happens in a random way. I live in dread of learning something new and forgetting my wife's name.

Just call her "dear" and you'll be fine :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I took part in a 2 year bible study where we had to memorize many different things and it was really intense. I was a substitute teacher at the time and used my study hall classes to look over my flash cards. Even if now I cannot remember word for word, I can remember the context of where the quote came from which is helpful. The bible study class was a 3 hour class every Monday and we had homework, tests and speeches to give. There were pictures to memorize and in those pieces of art were ideas to help us learn the lesson for that section and how it pieced together scripture to always come to point to Jesus and forgiveness of sins.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's a good point - even if you don't remember word for word or the precise reference (or even any part of the reference) if you've got enough of the gist of the text you can use it as a base for searching for the Scripture using something like e-sword.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've been preparing a Bible study or similar, knowing part of a verse but with no idea just where it came from. A Bible program can not only find the verse but of course once the verse is found you can see the context.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I took part in a 2 year bible study where we had to memorize many different things and it was really intense. I was a substitute teacher at the time and used my study hall classes to look over my flash cards. Even if now I cannot remember word for word, I can remember the context of where the quote came from which is helpful. The bible study class was a 3 hour class every Monday and we had homework, tests and speeches to give. There were pictures to memorize and in those pieces of art were ideas to help us learn the lesson for that section and how it pieced together scripture to always come to point to Jesus and forgiveness of sins.
I worked with 4th and 5th grade boys years ago and they had a memory verse a week they had to memorize and repeat back to me word perfect. They were able to earn badges for their efforts. It was called Awana and it was for both boys and girls

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I met a boy at the time he was 15 and I was 19 going to college. I met him at a unsanctioned apologetics meeting. College kids would get together from different Christian denominations explaining their position on varies points. As I held a Bible in front of me, this kid could quote at least the first 4 1/2 chapters of the Gospel of John, KJV word for word. I stopped him after that, I was convinced that he would have quoted the entire book. I'm convinced there are others that can do the same.

Top Bottom