Cure for the Coronavirus Pandemic

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Here is a cure that they are finding for the worst cases, those really having issues trying to breath. Anyone know what makes it effective?

Chloroquine to be tested for coronavirus treatment in the US
The President of the United States, Donald Trump, announced on 19 March that chloroquine (hydroxychloroquine/Plaquenil), a drug used to treat malaria and arthritis, was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be tested as a treatment for COVID-19. Chloroquine is being tested in various clinical trials conducted by government agencies and academic institutions.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
No idea why it would work but interesting to see it being used to treat two very different conditions already.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Please don't confuse "being tested" with "a cure."

It is an anti-viral. For some viruses it inhibits their reproduction. Whether that's true in this case is still under study. According to Wikipedia, it is contraindicated for people with diabetes and heart disease. Since those are the most at risk for COVID-19, it's an obvious limitation.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It is an anti-viral. For some viruses it inhibits their reproduction. Whether that's true in this case is still under study. According to Wikipedia, it is contraindicated for people with diabetes and heart disease. Since those are the most at risk for COVID-19, it's an obvious limitation.

Certainly that would be a limitation but if it works (stressing the IF there) it could be useful to help protect the elderly population.

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Whoa! That's not good news for me, as I am working on both of those issues....
But it does work, so if you are at the hospital with severe symptoms, talk to your doctor or health professional about it.

bharath

Religious Affiliation
Hindu
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I am daily searching for this thing, unfortunately their is no vaccine till now and they were still yet to be tested. I am hoping soon the vaccine will arrive to kill the virus everywhere.
UK Scientists are working for a vaccine.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There are several phase 1 trials. Unfortunately it's still at least a year away. Phase 1 trials just make sure that the vaccine doesn't hurt anyone. They don't determine that it works.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are several phase 1 trials. Unfortunately it's still at least a year away. Phase 1 trials just make sure that the vaccine doesn't hurt anyone. They don't determine that it works.

Perhaps in a strict sense but I don't imagine they would bother testing something unless at least some laboratory tests indicated that it could work, subject to safety testing.

bharath

Religious Affiliation
Hindu
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Life is too short so we have achieve atleast what we can do. The vaccine should be tested for this dangerous disease and giving time elapsing is a worse. I am hoping soon someone will come up with something in April to stop this Chinese Virus.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Life is too short so we have achieve atleast what we can do. The vaccine should be tested for this dangerous disease and giving time elapsing is a worse. I am hoping soon someone will come up with something in April to stop this Chinese Virus.
Not a vaccine, but there are a few treatments that look promising. End of April seems possible.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

This article shows Dr Fauci suggesting that the US could see "from 100,000 to 200,000 deaths" from this virus. That's more than the seasonal flu, which annually claims 12,000 - 60,000 lives according to the article, but this is still a huge improvement from previous projections that were talking about death tolls from 1-2 million and maybe more.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

This article shows Dr Fauci suggesting that the US could see "from 100,000 to 200,000 deaths" from this virus. That's more than the seasonal flu, which annually claims 12,000 - 60,000 lives according to the article, but this is still a huge improvement from previous projections that were talking about death tolls from 1-2 million and maybe more.

He also said, "Don't hold me to this" after stating the numbers. That's the part that the media is leaving out of their quotes and I only know this because I saw the video.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
1-2 million was before the current distancing. Currently 100K seems a reasonable projection. But you can't compare it with flu because we're doing lots of things to control it that we don't do for flu.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
He also said, "Don't hold me to this" after stating the numbers. That's the part that the media is leaving out of their quotes and I only know this because I saw the video.

I'd say that sort of proviso was pretty much implied. There's still a huge difference between "the sky is falling" estimates of millions of deaths and 200,000.

I can't speak for Dr Fauci but I'd imagine someone in his position wouldn't suggest numbers, even with provisos, unless he had at least some confidence in what he was saying. Of course any model is only as good as the assumptions, as any modeller worth their salt will say.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
1-2 million was before the current distancing. Currently 100K seems a reasonable projection. But you can't compare it with flu because we're doing lots of things to control it that we don't do for flu.

The point is that 100,000 deaths isn't so far off the top end of what seasonal flu inflicts, not that this is "just like the flu".

On what basis do you say that 100k seems like a reasonable projection? Are you familiar with modelling epidemics? (Serious question, I don't know you or your areas of expertise)

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a modeler. I'm an IT manager. The President is using models from the University of Washington. They're available at http://covid19.healthdata.org/. I've read many news stories describing different expert opinions. Based on that, I think this site is on the optimistic side. It projects a bit under 100K. The President is now saying 100 - 200K. That sounds like the range of predictions I've seen in various news stories.

100K is in fact a bit worse than a bad flu season. But remember, that's after doing huge amounts of work to contain it. Furthermore, what worries NY isn't just the deaths, but the fact that it overwhelms their hospitals. The site has a pulldown that lets you choose a state. Take a look at NY, and see how much it exceeds their capacity. They seem to be the worst case.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not a modeler. I'm an IT manager. The President is using models from the University of Washington. They're available at http://covid19.healthdata.org/. I've read many news stories describing different expert opinions. Based on that, I think this site is on the optimistic side. It projects a bit under 100K. The President is no
w saying 100 - 200K. That sounds like the range of predictions I've seen in various news stories.

100K is in fact a bit worse than a bad flu season. But remember, that's after doing huge amounts of work to contain it. Furthermore, what worries NY isn't just the deaths, but the fact that it overwhelms their hospitals. The site has a pulldown that lets you choose a state. Take a look at NY, and see how much it exceeds their capacity. They seem to be the worst case.

If only New York had taken things more seriously instead of Cuomo encouraging people to go about their normal lives and go out and about while other states were on lock down...the hospitals wouldn't be so overwhelmed. The state I live in says they aren't overwhelmed yet and they have a high number of cases throughout the state. Maybe we're just more prepared than NY?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not a modeler. I'm an IT manager. The President is using models from the University of Washington. They're available at http://covid19.healthdata.org/. I've read many news stories describing different expert opinions. Based on that, I think this site is on the optimistic side. It projects a bit under 100K. The President is now saying 100 - 200K. That sounds like the range of predictions I've seen in various news stories.

Sure, I appreciate that maintaining physical distance from people will have made a huge difference. It's hardly surprising that a city with so many people packed into a tiny space is about as good as it gets from the perspective of a virus. Maintaining physical separation when you've got that many people in that small a space is all but impossible.

ETA: I have a couple of friends with far more medical expertise than I do. The conclusion I've drawn from talking to them is that this is potentially very serious but the main problem with it is that it's unknown and we don't (yet) have a vaccine for it.

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No one wanted to admit Trump was right so they were fighting it as much as they could.

Top Bottom