Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
If Christians are to live a quiet life in conscientious obedience first to God and then to legal authority how in your opinion trained as it is by holy scripture and active faith does that affect their role as citizens, voters, and potential members of police and military forces?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Pray for the govt and that they get saved and that evil laws will be changed, pray for protection, wisdom. You can vote for a christian party but those 3 percent votes wont change much. Prayer is more effective.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If Christians are to live a quiet life in conscientious obedience first to God and then to legal authority how in your opinion trained as it is by holy scripture and active faith does that affect their role as citizens, voters, and potential members of police and military forces?

Citizens - that one is easy. We go about our daily lives as Christ intended. Our citizenship makes little difference to this.

Voters - we vote for the party that we think will do the best job of governing the nation. I think too many people look to Nanny State to do what Jesus told us to do. It's easier to cast a vote so that Someone Else kinda-sorta-maybe does the nasty icky work of looking after the poor and the downtrodden, then do lots of virtue signalling to show that at least we supported the candidate that promised something other than we've got now. Jesus didn't tell us to vote for someone else to set up an unwieldy system that notionally tries to help others, he told us to help others. The Good Samaritan didn't vote for more public funding to go to help mugging victims, he got his hands dirty and helped the mugging victim himself.

Police - I'd say that's a matter of personal conviction. Depending on your view of the morality of the laws you would be enforcing and your view of the morality of the tools you may be expected to use to enforce the laws, you can sign up or not as your conscience guides you.

Military - much the same as police except you may have to decide whether to be a conscientious objector in the event of compulsory conscription.

As with most other matters ultimately God's laws trump man's laws but if you break man's laws you may have to face the secular consequences of that.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
our citizenship is first in heaven. Jesus told us that we are to seek His kingdom and righteousness first and foremost. That means demonstrating love to God and then to others, being kind, compassionate, being a good example, praying for others and our government. Defending those who can't defend themselves.

As voters, I think it tells us that we should vote our values as much as possible. Though that is getting harder and harder to do. Pray for God to raise up godly leaders and help them to make good decisions.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
our citizenship is first in heaven. Jesus told us that we are to seek His kingdom and righteousness first and foremost. That means demonstrating love to God and then to others, being kind, compassionate, being a good example, praying for others and our government. Defending those who can't defend themselves.

As voters, I think it tells us that we should vote our values as much as possible. Though that is getting harder and harder to do. Pray for God to raise up godly leaders and help them to make good decisions.

May it not be better to eschew voting altogether?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If you can't find any reason why one candidate is better than another then not voting is certainly a valid course of action.

Personally I'd like to see a "None of the above" option added to voting ballots, and if it won then the election was declared void and a new election held with the candidates from the previous election barred from standing. Looking at the most recent US election where a number of natural Republicans voted for Trump to keep Clinton out but felt somewhat soiled in doing so, while a number of natural Democrats voted for Clinton to keep Trump out but felt somewhat soiled in doing so, I wonder how many would have voted for a new election with new candidates.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If you can't find any reason why one candidate is better than another then not voting is certainly a valid course of action.

Personally I'd like to see a "None of the above" option added to voting ballots, and if it won then the election was declared void and a new election held with the candidates from the previous election barred from standing. Looking at the most recent US election where a number of natural Republicans voted for Trump to keep Clinton out but felt somewhat soiled in doing so, while a number of natural Democrats voted for Clinton to keep Trump out but felt somewhat soiled in doing so, I wonder how many would have voted for a new election with new candidates.

What if they are all different and some are better some worse yet all are wicked either in policy or conduct; can a Christian in good conscience vote for any? Ought a Christian vote when to do so is a betrayal of at least some part of the faith?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What if they are all different and some are better some worse yet all are wicked either in policy or conduct; can a Christian in good conscience vote for any? Ought a Christian vote when to do so is a betrayal of at least some part of the faith?

I think that would have to be a matter for the individual to decide. If one truly couldn't support any of the candidates, even if only as a means of keeping an even worse candidate out of office, perhaps declining to vote is the best course of action. Personally in such a situation I'd spoil my ballot paper so it was clear I did turn up to vote but wanted to protest the selection of candidates, rather than counting myself among the untold millions who apparently didn't care who was elected and accordingly didn't even turn out to vote.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I was very tempted to in this last election, but never have missed a major election. There are other candidates on the ballot that deserve a vote even if the major candidate for President is a joke. Last time I stood in line to vote there was 2 judges and some school board candidates that I met while waiting my turn. They can campaign as long as it is not within so many feet of the voting station. My line was so long that I was in the parking lot

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I was very tempted to in this last election, but never have missed a major election. There are other candidates on the ballot that deserve a vote even if the major candidate for President is a joke. Last time I stood in line to vote there was 2 judges and some school board candidates that I met while waiting my turn. They can campaign as long as it is not within so many feet of the voting station. My line was so long that I was in the parking lot

I voted early at our most recent state election and there was no line at all :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Billy Graham's granddaughter recently said she doesn't need the President to be a Christian. I find that troubling and disagree with her since I would think a Christian President might have more of the same values as I do than a non-Christian one.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Billy Graham's granddaughter recently said she doesn't need the President to be a Christian. I find that troubling and disagree with her since I would think a Christian President might have more of the same values as I do than a non-Christian one.

I don't see the need for a politician to follow a specific faith. The key thing I want from government is the most basic facilities that can only be done centrally and beyond that they need to just leave me alone. I'm a believer in "he who governs least governs best", and if someone's job is basically to stay out of my way it doesn't matter what, if any, faith they follow.

Top Bottom