Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Last night I was watching a tv series and then it went from bad to worse with a mention about gods/godesses.

When you're reading a book or watching tv/movies that begin to talk about gods or godesses do you continue with it or stop immediately? Do you still value the piece for its entertainment value or do you think it's wrong to be pushing false gods and has no value?

I watched the show last night until that particular episode was completed but then couldn't watch any more. I felt that it was revolting and for me I hate it that false gods can be pushed but not the one true God.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
very true and influences should be positive rather than negative

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I watch stuff like that. Really, it helps me to understand idolatry better. Plus, I like the entertainment.I started to watch these way back in my youth, but I never got confused about who my God is.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Last night I was watching a tv series and then it went from bad to worse with a mention about gods/godesses.

When you're reading a book or watching tv/movies that begin to talk about gods or godesses do you continue with it or stop immediately? Do you still value the piece for its entertainment value or do you think it's wrong to be pushing false gods and has no value?

I watched the show last night until that particular episode was completed but then couldn't watch any more. I felt that it was revolting and for me I hate it that false gods can be pushed but not the one true God.

The Marvel Superheroes series of films that have been so successful in making money are examples of entertainment built upon fantasies that involve gods and goddesses but how offended ought one feel when people create entertainment that fits the culture we live in? Jesus prayed for his disciples to be preserved from the world but not taken out of it and the holy scriptures observe that offences must come because the world is not heaven and its people are still in need of the gospel. If they were scrupulously Christian and avoided writing scripts that included gods, goddesses, demons, monsters, betrayal, adultery, fornication, murder, and all the other things that Christians ought to avoid then it would be necessary to avoid television and the cinemas altogether except for a very few films or documentaries. Would one need to avoid documentaries that posit a natural material cause for virtually everything and hence leave no room for God?

I do not watch much TV and only occasionally go to the cinema but I do watch films on my pc and You-tube videos many of which contain portions that I think are either in bad taste or quite wrong. But I have not stopped watching unless it is a particularly egregious abuse. So my view is that a script that has gods and goddesses is not especially terrible, I watched Star Gate without walking out and it was mainly about an alien who went about as the Egyptian god Ra.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
When my kids were young they would watch alot of paranormal material. It was really frustrating to me to the point that I frequently disconnected cable. Only one of them still watches a lot of it. But because I wanted them to differentiate between what was true about the spiritual and what was not I always made it a point to refer to their shows as a study of demon activity,

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
When my kids were young they would watch alot of paranormal material. It was really frustrating to me to the point that I frequently disconnected cable. Only one of them still watches a lot of it. But because I wanted them to differentiate between what was true about the spiritual and what was not I always made it a point to refer to their shows as a study of demon activity,

Indeed. I can't help but fear for the influence those shows have on the unsuspecting minds of our youth who aren't being told in church about the dangers of demons and their lies and mockery. I assure you that I won't be misled by Satan's miscreants thinking that they are my long lost grams and gramps and will be praising God instead of his great mercy who holds me in the palm of his hand. Amen.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
dont like most stuff on tv except kids programs and some old stuff

Last edited:

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. I can't help but fear for the influence those shows have on the unsuspecting minds of our youth who aren't being told in church about the dangers of demons and their lies and mockery. I assure you that I won't be misled by Satan's miscreants thinking that they are my long lost grams and gramps and will be praising God instead of his great mercy who holds me in the palm of his hand. Amen.

When I was a youngster, I watched itg purely for entertainment. I was fascinated by the notion of magic and sorcery . I used to watch t.v. shows like I Dream of Genie and Bewitched. All of the kids in my neighborhood did and I was no different. We would wiggle our noses like Samantha, and bat our eyes hard like Genie. I enjoyed Walt Disney Presents which always served up magic. Back in the day, a movie called Jason and the Argonauts came out. We flocked to see it. LOL! We always thought of it as make believe and never developed any faith in it. LOL. But then, Prayer was in the schools, and we started each day with 15-30 minutes of devotion. Where I lived was strongly influenced/controlled by the Baptist traditions and congregations. Life was mainly home, school, church.

Top Bottom