"Blessed are the Barren" by Lord Jesus

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In the following Luke 23:27-30 Scripture, Jesus is on His way to be crucified in Jerusalem. He notices some women in Jerusalem on the side weeping for Him, and He turns to them and says the following to them:

Luke 23:27-30
27 And there followed Him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented Him.
28 But Jesus turning unto them said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for Me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
29 For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say,
'Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.'
30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, 'Fall on us'; and to the hills, 'Cover us.'"
KJV

Jesus tells them not to weep for Him, but for themselves and their children, because the day is coming when 'they' will say that, "Blessed are the barren...", and will wish for the mountains and hills to fall upon themselves and for the hills to cover them, which is a cry of shame.

This "Blessed are the barren..." idea comes from His Word in Isaiah 54. It is a spiritual metaphor that contains a deeper Message. Apostle Paul used it also in 2 Corinthians 11...

2 Cor 11:1-4
11 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.
2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy:
for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that cometh preacheth
another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
KJV

In the above, Apostle Paul is comparing a "chaste virgin" to those who wait on Jesus' future return and are not deceived. Paul even makes that danger of deception a comparison to Eve's deception by that old serpent, the devil. And Paul also points directly to the cause of the deception being those who preach "another Jesus".

Because Paul also uses the idea of presenting us to Christ as "a chaste virgin", and Christ being our "one husband" (spiritually), he is pointing to that "Blessed are the barren..." idea back in Isaiah 54 which Lord Jesus quoted to the deceived daughters of Jerusalem in Luke 23. Now to Isaiah 54...

Isa 54:1
1 Sing,
O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.

That above idea is a spiritual metaphor, parable, expression, etc. Our Heavenly Father is simply using a natural idea to express a very important spiritual truth, that of staying in Him; or falling away to another in His place, like the "another Jesus" in Apostle Paul's version of this metaphor.

That above verse is about the "Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck" from Luke 23 that Lord Jesus quoted. In the above, it reveals in the spiritual sense, the woman whose womb that remains barren will have more... children than the married wife! How's that? The next Isaiah 54:2-3 verses answers that, because the barren woman represents Paul's "chaste virgin" idea, those who were not deceived and will wait on Christ's coming, and stay a pure spiritual bride for Him. The married woman above though, she is compared as having less... children, which also is meant spiritually, for she represents the type that will wrongly fall away to the "another Jesus".

Lord Jesus in His Olivet discourse, Apostle Paul in 2 Thessalonians 2, and Apostle John in Revelation 13, all warned us about a coming pseudo-Christ for the end of this world working great signs and wonders to deceive the whole world (except Christ's elect). To not fall away to that coming false one, which represents Paul's "another Jesus", that means to remain "a chaste virgin" waiting on Christ Jesus' return to defeat that pseudo-Christ "another Jesus".

In this Isaiah 54 Message is the idea of those who fall away also being spiritually like a woman who travails with child. Apostle Paul used this idea too for the deceived in 1 Thessalonians 5:3.

Isaiah 54:2-3
2 Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes;
3 For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

There's the idea of the blessed barren woman who waits on Christ to come will be blessed with more children in final. That is about Christ's future Kingdom when He returns, showing the tents of His Kingdom of Israel on earth will be enlarged to include the believing Gentiles. (Sorry Pre-tribbers, those in Christ will be established in Christ's future Kingdom in the holy lands at His return, which is what this is showing.)

Isaiah 54:4
4 Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.

These who remain in Christ all the way up to His future return will not be found in shame when Jesus returns like those "daughters of Jerusalem" which Lord Jesus showed will. Why? The deceived will instead wish for the mountains and hills to fall upon them because of falling away to the pseudo-Christ, the "another Jesus", a false-Messiah. That is why they, the deceived, will be saying that, "Blessed are the barren..." about Christ's faithful Church that remain spiritually chaste waiting on Jesus.

Isaiah 54:5
For thy Maker is thine Husband; the LORD of hosts is His name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall He be called.
KJV

There's that idea by Apostle Paul of presenting us to "one Husband" (Christ Jesus). This is meant spiritually of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom