Baptism in the holy ghost

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
That's because that was a special occasion for them as Jesus said. He was preparing them for their mission and giving them the gift of the Holy Spirit. We can receive the Holy Spirit in baptism (which is water and the word). It's a promise God gives us.
The apostles are not the only one God has baptised like the apostles.

Acts 11:9-17
The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’
This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again.
Right then three men who had been sent to me from Caesarea stopped at the house where I was staying.
The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man’s house.
He told us how he had seen an angel appear in his house and say, ‘Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter.
He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.’
As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning.
Then I remembered what the Lord had said: ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’
So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?”

No water needed.
Yet you believe what God has cleansed needs to be cleaned again by a man.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
People who have never recieved the holy spirit baptism do not comprehend the baptism of the holy spirit.

Then it may be good that you came to us. The "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" does not refer to sacramental Baptism.

It is a different matter, just as there are several other events that are described in Scripture by use of the word "baptism" or "baptized." All of them are being compared with sacramental baptism but not as replacements for it.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Then it may be good that you came to us. The "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" does not refer to sacramental Baptism.

It is a different matter, just as there are several other events that are described in Scripture by use of the word "baptism" or "baptized." All of them are being compared with sacramental baptism but not as replacements for it.

No, I've seen many people like yourself. It was good that I turned to God and was cleansed by God.
John the baptist was a good man, but the least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
There sure are a lot of people on this site who have not been baptised by God.
Maybe I'm on the wrong site.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No. God baptised me in his holy spirit.
You can believe with all your heart that George Washington came to you in your bedroom and told you that he was making you into a turtle, but baptism with water in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost is still the initiation rite of Christ's church that Jesus himself described as essential for all of us and which the Bible describes being done in literally thousands of cases. Not one of these converts simply said that he'd been baptised in his own mind, and that this is all that is needed.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, I've seen many people like yourself. It was good that I turned to God and was cleansed by God.

Now you need also to become one of his own by baptism. That's the testimony of the Bible and we here heartily recommend the Bible (and church membership) to you. There is no convincing case that can be made for any person who believes in Christ to also deliberately refuse to follow his directives.

Remember Nicodemus, who went away from his discussion with Jesus feeling confused and dejected...because Jesus told him that if he really did want eternal life that he needed to DO SOMETHING tangible, something physical, not just be one of Jesus' fans. He was told that he needed to be born again with water and the Holy Spirit, and that a private loyalty to Jesus was not sufficient.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There sure are a lot of people on this site who have not been baptised by God.
Maybe I'm on the wrong site.
Face it, NO ONE else who's active on this site and who calls himself a Christian is here to lampoon Christianity. That's safe to say, even if we consider the range of beliefs that get expressed here, reflecting the differences between Protestants and Catholics, Fundamentalists and Conservatives, etc.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Face it, NO ONE else who's active on this site and who calls himself a Christian is here to lampoon Christianity. That's safe to say, even if we consider the range of beliefs that get expressed here, reflecting the differences between Protestants and Catholics, Fundamentalists and Conservatives, etc.

You don't consider other people's beliefs. You have done nothing but attack my testimony of the great things God has done and you say God would never give someone his holy spirit without them being washed by another man.

I proclaim the baptism of God while you proclaim the baptism of man.

That's sad that you reject the baptism of the holy spirit. But it's bad that you would have others reject it as well.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You don't consider other people's beliefs.

I quite obviously HAVE considered your beliefs, regardless of how unorthodox they are.

That I have considered them does not mean that I must accept them as true, however, especially when they are diametrically opposed to the testimony of Scripture.

And my only interest is the longshot hope that you will see from the mass of evidence that rebuts your ideas that, when we are done here, you will, on your own, decide to look deeper into the matter.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I quite obviously HAVE considered your beliefs, regardless of how unorthodox they are.

That I have considered them does not mean that I must accept them as true, however, especially when they are diametrically opposed to the testimony of Scripture.

And my only interest is the longshot hope that you will see from the mass of evidence that rebuts your ideas that, when we are done here, you will, on your own, decide to look deeper into the matter.
I need to go and Baptise some cloths for work.
See ya.

Top Bottom