Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In the United States we are being asked to wear a face mask when we go out of our homes. This isn't to protect us but to protect those around us in case we carry the virus while it's contagious.

Are you wearing a mask?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This seems like another piece of guidance it's very difficult to actually follow.

You're supposed to wear a mask but it's almost impossible to find them to buy, and if you can find them you're asked not to buy them to save them for emergency workers. You can make them, if you have a sewing machine (how many people have a sewing machine?) or you're reasonably competent with a needle and thread (I suspect many people aren't). And presumably you need something to attach it to your face, which means going out to somewhere like Walmart with everyone else.

I recently ordered a couple of head buffs that can be worn in a whole host of different ways. They are primarily to keep the sun and insects off my head but at a push would probably work as a kinda sorta face mask. It would certainly be more useful for the role than anything I tried to fashion with the spare material I don't have lying around or the elastic I don't have available.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This seems like another piece of guidance it's very difficult to actually follow.

You're supposed to wear a mask but it's almost impossible to find them to buy, and if you can find them you're asked not to buy them to save them for emergency workers. You can make them, if you have a sewing machine (how many people have a sewing machine?) or you're reasonably competent with a needle and thread (I suspect many people aren't). And presumably you need something to attach it to your face, which means going out to somewhere like Walmart with everyone else.

I recently ordered a couple of head buffs that can be worn in a whole host of different ways. They are primarily to keep the sun and insects off my head but at a push would probably work as a kinda sorta face mask. It would certainly be more useful for the role than anything I tried to fashion with the spare material I don't have lying around or the elastic I don't have available.

You don't have to sew...there are videos on how to use a handkerchief and women' hair bands. Or cut up a t-shirt to make a mask to tie on. T-shirt material was actually tested as 70% for blocking compared to some other materials.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You don't have to sew...there are videos on how to use a handkerchief and women' hair bands. Or cut up a t-shirt to make a mask to tie on. T-shirt material was actually tested as 70% for blocking compared to some other materials.

The articles I read waxed lyrical about using a needle and thread to stitch things together. I got half way through and figured I might as well throw a scrap of material on the floor because that's where it will end up soon enough. I don't think we have any hair bands in the house and it kinda defeats the point if I have to go to Wally world to buy them.

I figure my head buffs are probably about as good as it will get for me. If I'm likely to be somewhere that I need to consider where my breath is going I can pull it over my mouth and nose. It's probably fair to say that for 99% of my life at present the only person I get closer than six feet to is my wife, so it's not something I'm concerned about as a matter of urgency. Even my odd outings to local stores are such that maintaining a distance isn't difficult - most of them aren't very busy.

There is a local dry goods store that may or may not be open. If they are open, and if I can find a way to join new elastic to old perished elastic, I can breathe new life into my old respirator. It's showing its age and the amount of time I spent using it while grinding concrete, but the filters on it should still be good. Then maybe I will feel happier going to Wally world.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I agree, would love to find masks but noone has them.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In the United States we are being asked to wear a face mask when we go out of our homes. This isn't to protect us but to protect those around us in case we carry the virus while it's contagious.

Are you wearing a mask?

Yes. Since I must.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Are you wearing a mask?
Yes a few were provided at work. But they are all out of them and they were the better ones. I still have a box of face masks that I've had for over 25 years. The job that I had then, I went through 4 or 5 a day. The rest of the day I wore fresh air equipment. I would have never thought that the masked I ripped off my face were going to be so needed.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Curiously only this morning I burned an old N95 mask. It was one I'd used maybe 18 months ago when I was lifting cellulose insulation, before I bought a respirator. When it was literally wet because I'd sneezed and coughed into it I threw it in a garbage box, and subsequent garbage thrown on top ripped it beyond repair. That said, even in the current situation I can't imagine anybody wanting it even if it wasn't ripped. It was only yesterday I dug out my assorted boxes of garbage and this morning I burned a big pile of mostly scrap wood with a few other odds in there.

It is bizarre to think that it wasn't all that long ago I found N95 masks weren't really cutting it for me (having a beard doesn't help) but now everybody is crying out for them.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Are you wearing a mask?
Who is asking us to do that? What is your source? The only time I really leave the house is to walk around the block or do yard work, so I am not going anywhere right now where I would need to wear a mask

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here's how I understand this (ain't saying that's saying much)....

The kind of non-surgical CLOTH masks being discussed offer MINIMAL protection - mostly to others (thus from an infected person perhaps unknowingly spreading it). But it ain't much. And whatever slight benefit to OTHERS could be cancelled if people fiddle with their mask (as people tend to do), thus touching their face. It may be more of a gesture than anything... but in balance, it MIGHT be more good than harm. IF we had the surgical ones, that would be a real help but..... what is, is.

The front page of the local newspaper was all about this - even with a couple of ways to make these (since you can order masks from Amazon and they will arrive in September, if you're lucky). My wife found a pattern online and is busy (even as we speak) making them for family and friends. How much good will they do? That's debatable (although you CAN stuff coffee filters or even vacuum clearer filters inside them to make them better). Lots of patterns online, she told me.... designed for those with no sewing ability (just fold and tie) to those that require significant skill and a machine, and everything in between.

Interesting days we live in....

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I ordered a box of 10 and wont arrive till May. They should have the supply if they want everyone to wear one

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah I ordered a box of 10 and wont arrive till May. They should have the supply if they want everyone to wear one

Pretty much my thoughts. It's easy to say what we should do when it's difficult to actually do it.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I suspect VERY few will be able to buy them (and if they do, they may get them too late). I suspect they will be homemade.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

overcast

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have started using the mask. I know that the sanitizers are second most effective option on this. But apart from that I'd say that face mask seems to be effective when you are going out more. I don't know when this corona lockdowns and the restrictions lift. But as of now sanitizers, mask and keeping outselves clean seems to be the only option. I hope things change though.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Mandatory here

digital

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes
We are very shortly about to be asked to wear masks when we are out in public however research has shown the masks are only effective for 3/4 minutes at which point they become saturated and don’t work effectively anymore so I don’t see a huge benefit to wearing them as the majority of people are out for longer than 3/4 minutes.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Businesses around here require them. The one I have ticks the boxes but is almost entirely ineffective. Anything thicker over my mouth and nose would either have to be too loose to have any useful effect or too tight to be able to breathe through it, so that's not happening any time soon.

Top Bottom