Are we now saved, or now called?

Joelightening

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Hello! I am new to this forum, but have a burning in my heart that will not allow me to be silent.

We say we are now saved. I say that sometimes but Paul, for example, stated that we are not in Heaven yet. I believe we are being saved.

Jesus said, "Many are called but few are chosen". Therefore today there must be many called, but only a few will be chosen.

Sounds a bit scary to some folks. There is really no need to be afraid. We do need to make our election sure however.

Apollos was strong in the scriptures, but needed a couple of breatheren to bring him up to date about the Way. You will recall reading about this in Acts.

Do you think that you still have more to learn about the Way? If so, do you pray and ask God for more understanding?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Hello! I am new to this forum, but have a burning in my heart that will not allow me to be silent.

We say we are now saved. I say that sometimes but Paul, for example, stated that we are not in Heaven yet. I believe we are being saved.

Jesus said, "Many are called but few are chosen". Therefore today there must be many called, but only a few will be chosen.

Sounds a bit scary to some folks. There is really no need to be afraid. We do need to make our election sure however.

Apollos was strong in the scriptures, but needed a couple of breatheren to bring him up to date about the Way. You will recall reading about this in Acts.

Do you think that you still have more to learn about the Way? If so, do you pray and ask God for more understanding?
Jesus says whoever believes HAS eternal life. That is, you always existed as saved in God's eternal and unchangeable plan.

Joelightening

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus says whoever believes HAS eternal life. That is, you always existed as saved in God's eternal and unchangeable plan.
Some folks believe that Jesus exist, but they do not know that he is Lord and must be obeyed in order to go to Heaven.

They think doctrine is a list of options from which they may pick and choose as they like. Church should be where everyone is friendly and all smiles.

We who are being saved will be saved if we continue in the Way. Jesus said, "Those who are faithful till the end, the same will be saved".

Blessings brother!

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It's obvious that we are not in heaven now, so this is just a small matter concerning how people choose their words when speaking of the same thing.

Unless we're Universalists, that point is also obvious.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can say with full confidence that Jesus is my Savior and when I die or he comes again on Judgment Day that I will have eternal life because of His death and Resurrection.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Some folks believe that Jesus exist, but they do not know that he is Lord and must be obeyed in order to go to Heaven.

They think doctrine is a list of options from which they may pick and choose as they like. Church should be where everyone is friendly and all smiles.

We who are being saved will be saved if we continue in the Way. Jesus said, "Those who are faithful till the end, the same will be saved".

Blessings brother!
Jesus gives us a new nature that hates sin and loves righteousness. He won't let you continue in sin because His chastisement can be so severe you won't try it the second time.

“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” 1 John 3:9 (KJV 1900)

If he ever chastises you, you'll see why.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Mark 16:15-16

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

brightfame52

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Gods people are saved then called 2 Tim 1:9

9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

He saves them first and makes them Holy by the Spirits Sanctifying Work, then calls them with a Holy Calling to belief of the Truth 2 Thess 2:13-14

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel,
to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes

Well, one thing is for sure. If we allow men to push all sorts of fancies with their traditions and fleshy ideas about salvation, we will never properly understand what The Bible actually shows us about it.

Our Faith on The Father through His Son's Blood shed upon His cross is what saves us, not works. But just the same, we should... have works in Him if He is where our treasure is.

But really, this argument about already having been saved goes back to the old predestination debate.

God's Word reveals that some of us are 'called and chosen', but that most of us are 'called' only. Jesus revealed these two groups in His Church in John 17. And it is His desire both groups become one in Him and in The Father, both as His elect.

Those 'chosen' cannot be turned, Jesus already owns them. It's those who have already been predestinated, chose, glorified, and sanctified. Again, Jesus reveals this in John 17 about His sent ones, which is the meaning of the word 'apostle'.

But for the majority of us for today, we are 'called' only, and that means God allows our Faith to be tested by the devil. This is why Paul warned about a great falling away for the end involving the coming Antichrist.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Well, one thing is for sure. If we allow men to push all sorts of fancies with their traditions and fleshy ideas about salvation, we will never properly understand what The Bible actually shows us about it.

Our Faith on The Father through His Son's Blood shed upon His cross is what saves us, not works. But just the same, we should... have works in Him if He is where our treasure is.

But really, this argument about already having been saved goes back to the old predestination debate.

God's Word reveals that some of us are 'called and chosen', but that most of us are 'called' only. Jesus revealed these two groups in His Church in John 17. And it is His desire both groups become one in Him and in The Father, both as His elect.

Those 'chosen' cannot be turned, Jesus already owns them. It's those who have already been predestinated, chose, glorified, and sanctified. Again, Jesus reveals this in John 17 about His sent ones, which is the meaning of the word 'apostle'.

But for the majority of us for today, we are 'called' only, and that means God allows our Faith to be tested by the devil. This is why Paul warned about a great falling away for the end involving the coming Antichrist.
We preach the gospel (announce) and many hear it. But the parable of the sower suggests that 3/4 of those hearing failed and were never saved. But the good soil, the New Birth, the source of saving faith, took hold and produced much good fruit.

DPMartin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Rev_17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

Note that one must not only be called and then chosen, but one must also be faithful, as its written, to the end. One should notice in the gospels that Jesus was always looking for and responding to the faithful, those who believed and trusted Him and or what He said. And as Paul states:

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

As in believe and or trust God’s Word, which is the law of faith that supersedes all else that has always applied even with Adam and Eve. Granted mercy supersedes righteousness and judgement but if there’s no faithfulness even mercy will not apply to salvation of the soul.

Top Bottom