Are Millennials leaving God/Christianity?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you think the younger generation of Millennials (born 1980s-1990s) are leaving God and Christianity? Has the world enticed them to stray?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes and the other part of that is the fact that most are not being raised in church

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you think the younger generation of Millennials (born 1980s-1990s) are leaving God and Christianity? Has the world enticed them to stray?

That's MY generation!

Few of them were ever raised in Christianity. Their parents were probably just unchurched (Christians rejecting "organized religion") but as a result, their kids were not raised in the church and rarely raised as Christians.

As I look at my parents generation (Baby boomers), the issue there is usually the church (not Jesus). Many of them claim to be at least very loosely "spiritual Christians" (and they are certainly theists who believe in heaven, prayer, etc.) but, because of their rejection of the church, often, all this is off the radar of their kids. "Christianity is always one generation away from extinction."

peace_

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think that some millennials have this belief that they can do and believe whatever they want. I am a millennial and although I am Protestant, many of my friends think they can pick and choose what they believe. Like they only pray when they need God. Like they just "try to be a good person" and that's the extent of their religion. You don't see the your either hot or cold you can't be luke warm type of believers out there. At least that's my opinion.
Today Millennial are too gray.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's MY generation!

Few of them were ever raised in Christianity. Their parents were probably just unchurched (Christians rejecting "organized religion") but as a result, their kids were not raised in the church and rarely raised as Christians.

As I look at my parents generation (Baby boomers), the issue there is usually the church (not Jesus). Many of them claim to be at least very loosely "spiritual Christians" (and they are certainly theists who believe in heaven, prayer, etc.) but, because of their rejection of the church, often, all this is off the radar of their kids. "Christianity is always one generation away from extinction."

Additional comments.....

The Baby Boomers (born 1945-1964) and whatever you call the next generation (born 1965 - 1980), I think many of them were raised as Christians and "from infancy" were taught at least SOMETHING about Christianity. I think they TEND to not only be theists but also regard Jesus at least in very high regard. They tend to have some respect for Scripture (maybe a lot) and often see their religion as a source of comfort and direction. The problem is: a LOT of them have issues with institutional Christianity, with denominations. IMO, this not infrequently is a result of their parents likely being "mixed" (coming from different denominations), because of the century's old denominational wars, but probably mostly because they don't see the institutional church as very helpful in terms of comfort and direction. Their "issue" is not with God (or even Christ), but with churches..... their "religion" is spiritual (and largely based in prayer and God as a sort of fairy godmother who watches over them). And it tends to be negative toward theology and teachings since such seems to run against the raging relativism of our day and seems to just drag them down into denominational infighting. IMO, "winning over" these people has little to do with their relationship to God but to the church.

My generation (born 1980-2000) have largely been raised as godless, pretty much as Agnostics. Many of my generation have never been to church and never been taught anything about Christianity. Their view of Christianity is benign - neither good or bad. It (and the churches it produced) are seen as something very significant from our PAST as a society. It produced a lot of good art and music, and obviously helped a lot of people in very trying times (both pluses), but it's just seen as irrelevant. If they are open at all, they want a church that supplies their wants: Great music (yes, it can have very Christian lyrics), sermons that will help them be richer and happier, studies that will help their marriages and their raising of the kids - in other words, to live better. Jesus.... God..... Scripture...... well, they are VAGUE things but helpful toward the goal of being a more successful, happier person. The "worship hour" needs to be entertaining, uplifting and practical/helpful; the focus very much on what it does for self in the here and now. But a LOT of my generation has been to those "churches" and found them kinda weird.... still others got involved for a few months, maybe even a few years.... and found them to be not really helpful at all in making them successful in the here and now, a failed commodity not worth the time and money, and so dropped out. My generation is littered with LOTS of "mega church" drop outs. But even more who simply never engaged at all with Christianity... it seems to them something important to their grandparents (and that's nice) but they aren't sure why.

Just my experience.....

- Josiah

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I have no idea, perhaps some statistics/census data can be offered? Also - are we speaking about a specific region of the world or everyone, everywhere?

I think it's beyond established that churches, at least in some western nations - their congregations are in decline, and many are shutting up shop. I wouldn't be so hasty as to say people are "leaving God" or even "Leaving Christianity" based on this one thing though because by this measure I'm as far away (and have been as far away) as one can get - not having attended any kind of public religious service for well over a decade.

Top Bottom