Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This article appears on the CBS news web site in June of this year

ALBANY, Ga. -- Leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention are expelling a Georgia church that was accused of racial discrimination. The denomination's media office tweeted Monday that members of the executive committee had voted to withdraw fellowship from Raleigh White Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia.
The tweet says the church is being disassociated over "clear evidence" of racism. The church's local association severed ties earlier this year.

rest of article here
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southe...h-white-baptist-church-expelled-racism-claim/

The article went on to say that the denomination has struggled to overcome its identity as a denomination formed in defense of slaveholders. Though I wouldn't say that is accurate as far as I know.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It sounded like the charges levied against the congregation were a bum rap, but everyone would have to read all the news reports in order to reach a conclusion for themselves. The CBS article certainly doesn't give the whole story.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It sounded like the charges levied against the congregation were a bum rap, but everyone would have to read all the news reports in order to reach a conclusion for themselves.

How is it a bum rap? It says members of the church blocked members of the black church from entering back in March 2018

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How is it a bum rap? It says members of the church blocked members of the black church from entering back in March 2018

Well, that is not correct, but I am not inclined to do all the research once again when anyone who is interested can do it for himself. I suggest that you might be interested enough to do that.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, that is not correct, but I am not inclined to do all the research once again when anyone who is interested can do it for himself. I suggest that you might be interested enough to do that.

I'm not sure what the attitude is about. I am simply reporting what is on a major news outlet for discussion. This is what came up when I looked at another source the link is below:

https://www.christianpost.com/spons...ow-you-do-your-job-matters.html?load=infinite

In about six months however, as New Seasons Church continued growing and began using more of the white church's facilities, such as their gym with a basketball court, their fellowship hall and Sunday School rooms, disagreements emerged and the attitudes of the white congregation members began to shift.

The white church members accused New Seasons members of things like not returning dinner plates to their proper storage location on kitchen shelves.

Relations between the two churches worsened when Raleigh White planned its annual homecoming. The church gave New Seasons a 30-day notice on Feb. 18, stating that they would not be able to use its facilities until 2:30 p.m. on the day of its homecoming event, set for March 18. Glass protested the time change noting that during most of the blocked off time no one would be using the church facilities for most of the period. Raleigh White relented, allowing the New Seasons to start their service at noon – a half hour later than normal.

On the day of the homecoming visitors to New Seasons who were unaware of the change, showed up early for the worship service but were turned away at the doors of the church.

A daughter of one of the visitors was directed to a convenience store down the road when she asked to use the restroom and other visitors were told to wait in the cars until the service began. A pastor who had showed up early to discuss his late wife's funeral arrangements was also turned away, the Christian Index reported.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not sure what the attitude is about. I am simply reporting what is on a major news outlet for discussion.
and that is all I am doing--discussing. I told you that the report as given by CBS was questionable, and I also suggested that it sounded to me that the charge was a bum rap. That you who admittedly did not know more than what is in that link should be affronted by receiving additional information in discussion is a surprise to me.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
and that is all I am doing--discussing. I told you that the report as given by CBS was questionable, and I also suggest that it sounded to me that the charge was a bum rap. Why you who admittedly did not know more than what is in that link should be affronted by receiving additional information in discussion is a surprise to me.

I didn't receive additional information from you. I still haven't. You haven't explained to me why you think it is a bum rap. It sounds like the 30 day notice about using the facilities was racially motivated and the church was blocking the time period to use the facilities for no good reason

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't receive additional information from you. I still haven't.
Is it that you imagine you are conducting some sort of written exam here?

If you want to verify the truth of this matter, if you want to know all that I learned, do something about it, son. I have no obligation to do all your work for you; and your computer appears to be working just fine.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
This article appears on the CBS news web site in June of this year

ALBANY, Ga. -- Leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention are expelling a Georgia church that was accused of racial discrimination. The denomination's media office tweeted Monday that members of the executive committee had voted to withdraw fellowship from Raleigh White Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia.
The tweet says the church is being disassociated over "clear evidence" of racism. The church's local association severed ties earlier this year.

rest of article here
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southe...h-white-baptist-church-expelled-racism-claim/

The article went on to say that the denomination has struggled to overcome its identity as a denomination formed in defense of slaveholders. Though I wouldn't say that is accurate as far as I know.
Good. There is no place in the body of Christ for racism, classism or separation by status. We are all adopted brothers and sisters from every tribe and tongue.
The SBC under the guidance of Moeller (Southern Seminary President) and others is rooting out the racists in the denomination.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is a terrible thing to be accused of being clearly racist by your own church when you were not, though. Would you agree?

And we know that the SBC had been smarting under the perception that it is one of the leading racist church bodies, so when the chance comes along for it to do something to counter that reputation, do you think that the SBC would not act on it, especially since it had just a poor, small, and faltering congregation of mainly old people to throw away as the only price to pay??

Top Bottom