Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
If I were a USA citizen I would not join the GOP. Not my cup of tea. Besides they are in a kind of crisis now aren't they with Donald and that other guy doing their best to remove existing GOP congressmen and senators and replace them with crazies from the TEA party or something.

You're really "up" on this stuff, I see.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Before Princess Diana's death, I might have sympathized with the Royals some. Now, I hope your country gets exactly what it wants and needs in regard to its autonomy. Australia should be governed by Australians.
Maybe, but then look at Canada which has a parliament which made that boy its Prime Minister because he had the Trudeau name.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Maybe, but then look at Canada which has a parliament which made that boy its Prime Minister because he had the Trudeau name.

Isn't Justin Trudeau more than forty years old if so he surely is an adult man rather than a boy.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Isn't Justin Trudeau more than forty years old if so he surely is an adult man rather than a boy.

Is that the only way you'd judge it? ;)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, and because he is Prime Minister and clearly an able one at that.

Oh, yeh. This is the fellow who thought it cute to spite the USA by inviting the world's migrants and refugees to come to the wonderfully welcoming country of Canada...and then later complained that Canada was being overrun by the swarm because 500 or so of them had entered Manitoba over a period of months. Maybe Mr. "Diversity is our strength" Trudeau would have profited from a little more preparation before assuming the position of PM.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Oh, yeh. This is the fellow who thought it cute to spite the USA by inviting the world's migrants and refugees to come to the wonderfully welcoming country of Canada...and then later complained that Canada was being overrun by the swarm because 500 or so of them had entered Manitoba over a period of months. Maybe Mr. "Diversity is our strength" Trudeau would have profited from a little more preparation before assuming the position of PM.

Don't worry Albion. you will not be PM of anyplace any time soon so you need not get preparation anxiety.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's ENTIRELY up to Australia and the United Kingdom.

I'm a citizen of neither country. It's none of my business.

Why would it be up to the UK? They have no control over Australia.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Why would it be up to the UK? They have no control over Australia.

I suspect that USAns may think that a head of state in a Parliamentary democracy has executive powers. Their President is like a King so they may assume that the Queen is like their President - heaven forbid that anybody would think her like Donald!

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's right, you lot don't have that Puritan background. :) Do you suppose waiting for the current queen's death would work, though? If Australia breaks away, what of New Zealand? Or Canada? Or any of the other country in the Commonwealth of Nations?

Each of the Commonwealth Realms is a monarchy in and of itself. What one chooses to do with its monarchy has no effect on the others. Even if the United Kingdom became a republic, each of the other Realms would remain monarchies with the current Queen as their monarch unless they independently chose become republics themselves.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Before Princess Diana's death, I might have sympathized with the Royals some. Now, I hope your country gets exactly what it wants and needs in regard to its autonomy. Australia should be governed by Australians.

Don't Australians already govern Australians? Or don't you understand how a parliamentary democracy works?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't worry Albion. you will not be PM of anyplace any time soon so you need not get preparation anxiety.
I appreciate that you agreed with me about Justin.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Don't Australians already govern Australians? Or don't you understand how a parliamentary democracy works?

USA people may not understand that in a Parliamentary democracy like Australia or Canada or New Zealand the head of state has garden parties and opens things but has no executive power.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't worry Albion. you will not be PM of anyplace any time soon so you need not get preparation anxiety....Get your glasses out. You're not reading so well.
Seriously...This is it?????? Who are you and what have you done with the real MC?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Seriously...This is it?????? Who are you and what have you done with the real MC?

Feeding crazy claims isn't my plan. But you keep going with making crazy claims. I get a chuckle out of them.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Why does Australia need to be a republic anyway or have a queen? They only have kangaroos living there.

Hey... no bad word about Trudeau.

2017-10-31t220946z_110753381_rc115f313350_rtrmadp_3_canada-politics.jpg

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Well, I don't mean a FRIENDLY, RESPECTFUL discussion with Aussies can't take place.....

In my trips (mostly for business, sometimes for friendships) to Europe, I've grown very weary of the 'Anti-USA" game. It's usually done with a smile and clearly grows in boldness with the amount of alcohol involved, done AS IF IT'S FUNNY, usually ganging up on whatever Americans happen to be handy... It's a game for some Europeans (and I guess some Aussies, although I hadn't known that). Usually focused on our government but sometimes any aspect of American culture or life is fair game for this supposed funny game. I think some Europeans (especially under the influence of adult beverages) love to have a common enemy in order to make them feel closer to together ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach...) but it often comes across as RUDE, disrespectful and usually ignorant. I do as all Americans do - try to smile and NOT to do them as they've done to us. But frankly, I can't wonder - as they make all their rude, ignorant comment - always thinking they are being FUNNY - how they are holding a phone designed and made in the USA, using a computer invented, designed in the USA, having just arrived on a plane designed and made in the USA, taking some meds developed and made in the USA, and in a country liberated in large part by the USA and rebuilt after the war largely by the USA. watching television invented in the USA. But I don't say anything.

I don't KNOW about Australia, but I know lots of Brits and have been the UK. They seem like good bloats. As educated and aware as any.... with a pretty sound democracy and as good of freedom of press as anywhere (that ain't saying much).... They are capable of determining their own destiny and governing their own selves. They don't need some FOREIGNER telling them how they should govern themselves or who they should elect. My respect for them forbids me from doing that. While I don't know many Aussies and have never been there (my loss, I'm sure) I strongly suspect the same is true for them. It's probably not true for North Koreans but I don't regard the UK or Australia to be the same boat as North Korea.

It seems to ME that American patriotism tends to be PRO-USA (not always, I realize) whereas in Europe, there seems to be a negativity toward others. For example, the German National Anthem begins, "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt...." Not always, of course. I'm learning this may extend beyond Europe, as well.

Understand my perspective???? Again, I know YOU meant only a very informal, friendly discussion....

- Josiah

If you ppl can't make fun of yourselves we'll help you a bit. It's meant friendly, but Americans don't get that, so most of the time I'm so smart to not compliment em w an insulting joke. It's hard though to contain myself.

Top Bottom