Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Scripture says it is Christ Who Baptizes...

That He does so IN the Spirit...

No Scripture says the Spirit Baptizes...

I invite you to show me a Scripture that says it is the Holy Spirit Who Baptizes...

Arsenios

When I've talk with Pentecostal Christians they've told me that there's a need for a second baptism which they call either the baptism with the Spirit or baptism in the Spirit. The passage they reference is
(I Corinthians 12:13) For by one Spirit are we all baptised into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. KJV
which in the KJV says "by one Spirit" so the implication is that the Holy Spirit is the one who does the baptism, in their theology.

It's an interesting perspective.

I do not share it.

It is not what the Catholic Church teaches. One of my Catholic bibles translates the verse this way
(I Corinthians 12:13) And indeed, in one Spirit, we were all baptised into one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether servant or free. And we all drank in the one Spirit.​
which seems much more in accord with the rest of the teaching of holy scripture where we are taught that Jesus Christ will baptise with fire and the Holy Spirit.
(Luke 3:16) John answered them all, saying, I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.​

I imagine MennoSota's post is not what the Orthodox Church teaches.

But maybe it is what MennoSota teaches?

Last edited:

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
When I've talk with Pentecostal Christians they've told me that there's a need for a second baptism which they call either the baptism with the Spirit or baptism in the Spirit. The passage they reference is
(I Corinthians 12:13) For by one Spirit are we all baptised into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. KJV
which in the KJV says "by one Spirit" so the implication is that the Holy Spirit is the one who does the baptism, in their theology.

It's an interesting perspective.

I do not share it.

It is not what the Catholic Church teaches. One of my Catholic bibles translates the verse this way
(I Corinthians 12:13) And indeed, in one Spirit, we were all baptised into one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether servant or free. And we all drank in the one Spirit.​
which seems much more in accord with the rest of the teaching of holy scripture where we are taught that Jesus Christ will baptise with fire and the Holy Spirit.
(Luke 3:16) John answered them all, saying, I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.​

Here is the Greek, and it does NOT SAY: BY the Holy Spirit

kai gar en eni pneumati hmeiv pantev eiv en swma ebaptisyhmen

Literally: For also IN one Spirit we all into one body have been baptized.

I imagine MennoSota's post is not what the Orthodox Church teaches.

Gee, do ya think??

But maybe it is what MennoSota teaches?

I love your optimism!

And I love Menno!

But he is no twistable pretzel...

That man has some SAND in his craw! :)

Arsenios

Support

Christianity Haven Support
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom