Be ye goats or sheep?

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus separates the believers from the non believing and compares them to sheep and goats respectively in Matthew 25:31-46. It might lead some individuals to think Jesus makes them a sheep because of their works but surprise surpise he goes on to tell them that the righteous asked him Lord Lord when did we do those things? You see friends, the righteous did not strive to do works to gain entry into heaven because a goat cannot make himself into a sheep. Without faith a goat is a goat.

Galatians 3:25-27 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

A sheep has the Lord God as his father and the goats have Satan as their father so which do you have? It's either or and not both because you cannot be a shoat or a gheep or waiver back and forth from one day to the next. Do you believe in God as your Father and if you do then you are a sheep and hear his voice and he will leave the other 99 to rescue you when you stray.

Who is your father then dear friends is it God or Satan? If you answer God then surely you will have eternal life because you are a sheep because God will not let anything pluck his sheep from his hand.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures tell us that the elect were chosen before the foundation of the world. Thus the sheep and goats have been known to God from the beginning.
You ask whether we are sheep or goats and you correctly state that the delineation is not works. The delineation is whether God has graciously adopted us or not.
How will God reveal his choice? By giving us the gift of faith that perseveres.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Who is your father then dear friends is it God or Satan.

Great thread! This part really stands out because it shows that with God we ARE secure :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another thing that came to me this morning...on that last day Jesus doesn't bring up the sins of the believers. That's because he atoned for them at the cross and we have received that forgiveness by grace through faith. The sins of the unbelievers ARE mentioned. They don't have faith. Judgment appears as if God looks at works but judgment is based on whether or not we have faith. Faith in the Savior specifically, not our works.

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
The scriptures tell us that the elect were chosen before the foundation of the world. Thus the sheep and goats have been known to God from the beginning.
You ask whether we are sheep or goats and you correctly state that the delineation is not works. The delineation is whether God has graciously adopted us or not.
How will God reveal his choice? By giving us the gift of faith that perseveres.

Amen to that. God is in control and a sheep should not be worried or concerned that he might not make it to heaven.

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Another thing that came to me this morning...on that last day Jesus doesn't bring up the sins of the believers. That's because he atoned for them at the cross and we have received that forgiveness by grace through faith. The sins of the unbelievers ARE mentioned. They don't have faith. Judgment appears as if God looks at works but judgment is based on whether or not we have faith. Faith in the Savior specifically, not our works.

The sins of the believers are often a concern to them so they try to make up for it by doing good works and that is not going to sway God because he has forgotten their sin and their works to gain heaven won't do the trick. The works of the believers in the parable were a complete surprise to them upon Jesus' mentioning it to them and our works will also be a surprise to us who believe.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
In Asia and Africa goats and sheep look very similar but their behavior is a clear indicator to the shepherd as to which is which, for the goats are not followers like the sheep are. Separating goats and sheep is an easy task for the shepherd who knows his flock.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A sheep is one who is guided by their Shepard. They do not fight against being corralled in by HIS will and guidance, or by the pull of HIS Crook. A goat on the other hand will go against all direction, is stiff-necked, hardheaded, and will eat through it's inclosure in defiance all while devouring up all else without any discretion. I'm following the guidance of the Shepard a sheep would only be hearing and believing that the direction the Crook leads them is for their benefit as being of or belonging to the Good Shepard. A goat may be at risk of being lost; not by the Shepard but because said goat never did believe in the guidance of the Messiah or trusted in the directing of HIS Crook.

Ultimately works are simply a byproduct of faith to the glorification of GOD for the sake of HIS creation in my opinion.

peace

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
In Asia and Africa goats and sheep look very similar but their behavior is a clear indicator to the shepherd as to which is which, for the goats are not followers like the sheep are. Separating goats and sheep is an easy task for the shepherd who knows his flock.
The Bible makes it easier. God's sheep hear his voice. The others hear the robbers voice and think it's God.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I just wanna be a sheep baa ba ba baa. That's what this thread reminded me of and now it's ear worm for me and sorry if it's ear worm for you to but now on to the topic, yeah I'm a sheep and can't think of myself as any other because God adopted me as his own and he wouldn't lie to me or lead me astray. It's men who lead others astray when they aren't sure of what God can do for them and don't trust in him like they should so they think maybe theyre goats and not sure if they're sheep but hey, which pasture would they like to be in to graze anyway?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I just wanna be a sheep baa ba ba baa. That's what this thread reminded me of and now it's ear worm for me and sorry if it's ear worm for you to but now on to the topic, yeah I'm a sheep and can't think of myself as any other because God adopted me as his own and he wouldn't lie to me or lead me astray. It's men who lead others astray when they aren't sure of what God can do for them and don't trust in him like they should so they think maybe theyre goats and not sure if they're sheep but hey, which pasture would they like to be in to graze anyway?
When I was in the Pentecostal church I would "baaaaa" like a sheep, had the vibrato down and everything [emoji1]

carusos1974

Religious Affiliation
Agnostic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

https://brideofchristtabernacle.com/sermons-1

Just some sermons from my home church in york pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carusos1974

Religious Affiliation
Agnostic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Jesus separates the believers from the non believing and compares them to sheep and goats respectively in Matthew 25:31-46. It might lead some individuals to think Jesus makes them a sheep because of their works but surprise surpise he goes on to tell them that the righteous asked him Lord Lord when did we do those things? You see friends, the righteous did not strive to do works to gain entry into heaven because a goat cannot make himself into a sheep. Without faith a goat is a goat.

Galatians 3:25-27 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

A sheep has the Lord God as his father and the goats have Satan as their father so which do you have? It's either or and not both because you cannot be a shoat or a gheep or waiver back and forth from one day to the next. Do you believe in God as your Father and if you do then you are a sheep and hear his voice and he will leave the other 99 to rescue you when you stray.

Who is your father then dear friends is it God or Satan? If you answer God then surely you will have eternal life because you are a sheep because God will not let anything pluck his sheep from his hand.

https://brideofchristtabernacle.com/sermons-1

Just some sermons from my home church in york pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sheep, but a cranky old sheep.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

TangledWeb, Post #1:
Jesus separates the believers from the non believing and compares them to sheep and goats respectively in Matthew 25:31-46. It might lead some individuals to think Jesus makes them a sheep because of their works but surprise surpise he goes on to tell them that the righteous asked him Lord Lord when did we do those things?...

I would suggest that they weren’t actually asking “when did we do those things?”, but “when did we do those things to You?”

They knew they had already been doing those things in general.. Jesus said so. It was the implication of their doing them, that had escaped them.

==============================================================================================

Jesus separates the believers from the non believing and compares them to sheep and goats respectively in Matthew 25:31-46...

Once again we see faith and belief being superimposed upon a passage that pertains solely to works. Jesus Himself focussed on the works. He made no mention of faith.

The fact that Jesus’ teaching does not fit in with the belief sets of various churches, does not justify their adding to His words to make them fit.

If the passage as it was written (Jesus’ words as He spoke them) shows incompatibility with existing doctrine, then the doctrine must come under scrutiny.

I point out once again that there was no incompatibility of Jesus’ words with the original Apostolic Gospel. (And there still isn’t.) Those words formed part of it. Every passage in the Bible blended in seamlessly. (And they still do.)

Can you imagine a consolidated set of understandings where every passage of Scripture slots in comfortably, with no need for superimpositions or twists? And where apparent contradictions disappear?

The original apostolic Gospel is marvellous to behold and comprehend. (And there is only one way to gain that comprehension, as I’ve said before – a totally practical way.)

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

TangledWeb, Post #1:

I would suggest that they weren’t actually asking “when did we do those things?”, but “when did we do those things to You?”

They knew they had already been doing those things in general.. Jesus said so. It was the implication of their doing them, that had escaped them.

Once again we see faith and belief being superimposed upon a passage that pertains solely to works. Jesus Himself focussed on the works. He made no mention of faith.

The fact that Jesus’ teaching does not fit in with the belief sets of various churches, does not justify their adding to His words to make them fit.

If the passage as it was written (Jesus’ words as He spoke them) shows incompatibility with existing doctrine, then the doctrine must come under scrutiny.

I point out once again that there was no incompatibility of Jesus’ words with the original Apostolic Gospel. (And there still isn’t.) Those words formed part of it. Every passage in the Bible blended in seamlessly. (And they still do.)

Can you imagine a consolidated set of understandings where every passage of Scripture slots in comfortably, with no need for superimpositions or twists? And where apparent contradictions disappear?

The original apostolic Gospel is marvellous to behold and comprehend. (And there is only one way to gain that comprehension, as I’ve said before – a totally practical way.)

Let us take one more look at that verse and see what Jesus actually says to them. Ah, yes, here it is, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world." Further down, “Then the righteous will answer him," and here we have proof that the righteous on the right are not righteous because of their deeds, for Jesus declares them to already have inheritance from the Father and he declares them the righteous because of that. Taking a look at what the texts says give better comprehension, yes?

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I have stated elsewhere that imprecision and inconsistency are unfortunate but prominent hallmarks of Christendom.

In Post #19 the following was offered [emphasis added]:
Let us take one more look at that verse and see what Jesus actually says to them. Ah, yes, here it is, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world." Further down, “Then the righteous will answer him," and here we have proof that the righteous on the right are not righteous because of their deeds, for Jesus declares them to already have inheritance from the Father and he declares them the righteous because of that. Taking a look at what the texts says give better comprehension, yes?

Let’s take a look then, as suggested.

First of all, there is no mention of believers and unbelievers in the passage referred to (Matthew 25:31-46). The idea has to be read into the passage to make it conform to certain belief systems.

Therefore the following statement made in Post #1 has no foundation within Matthew 25:31-46, and is a superimposition.: “Jesus separates the believers from the non believing and compares them to sheep and goats respectively in Matthew 25:31-46.

Secondly, looking at the passage carefully, we see (discern) the following:
- Jesus says that some people are classed as sheep (and called blessed of His Father) for = because they had done something significant:
--- a causative action was involved – they are categorised as sheep and blessed as a direct result of their actions;
- God had prepared a kingdom way back; it was awaiting people who would prove to be righteous according to the nominated test;
- The righteous had been identified by that test, and would now have their allotted reward;
- The people labelled as unrighteous were so labelled for = because they had not done something:
--- as a result of not doing something – a causative action (or lack thereof) was involved once again.

That is what we see when we look.

Taking a look at what the texts says give better comprehension, yes?

Demonstrably so.

Once again I strongly suggest that to make Bible passages say what they don’t say, to protect cherished beliefs from challenge, could be fraught with danger.

Top Bottom