Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Paige Patterson was recently removed from his job as President at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. A school I went to over two decades ago

The article that reported this says
FORT WORTH — "Prominent Southern Baptist leader Paige Patterson was removed from his job as president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary amid an evangelical #MeToo moment: a massive backlash from women upset over comments he made in the past that are being newly perceived as sexist and demeaning.

Seminary leaders were unspecific about why they made the dramatic move, issuing a statement that didn’t mention the controversial comments and saying they were moving “in the direction of new leadership” due to challenges related to “enrollment, financial, leadership and institutional identity.”

The brief statement released early Wednesday said Patterson will be president emeritus, “for the benefit of the future mission of the Seminary.” He will receive compensation and may live on campus as “theologian-in-residence” at a brand new Baptist Heritage Center, the statement said."

The whole article is here
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-women/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.68c74dcf639c

The remark that seemed to be sexist was made over four years ago

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Another example of being PC, I feel sorry for him

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another example of being PC, I feel sorry for him

When I was there Dr.Dilday was removed for being a moderate. Even though he worked there for over a decade he found out he was removed when he went to work and his key didn't fit his door anymore. They have a history of keeping Presidents for a long time, but quick and dramatic changes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I wouldnt set foot in that school. I wonder if they would kick someone out right before they got their degree? Same type of action

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I wouldnt set foot in that school. I wonder if they would kick someone out right before they got their degree? Same type of action

Maybe the lesson is "do no work for a religious institution"

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Maybe the lesson is "do no work for a religious institution"

the change wasn't due to religion. It was a political move. They aren't debating his religious views

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I DO think justice matters here... and since these things are typically done very privately and so evidence is often missing, I think this often puts the victim at a disadvantage.

But I think - at times - this has gone overboard. Perhaps at times a "witch hunt." And I think at times, it becomes a "guilty until you can prove yourself innocent" situation where proof is impossible since evidence is absent.

How to find the balance...

- Josiah

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I DO think justice matters here... and since these things are typically done very privately and so evidence is often missing, I think this often puts the victim at a disadvantage.

But I think - at times - this has gone overboard. Perhaps at times a "witch hunt." And I think at times, it becomes a "guilty until you can prove yourself innocent" situation where proof is impossible since evidence is absent.

How to find the balance...

- Josiah

I'm not sure who the victim is here. the article states that they are giving him a place to stay near the campus even though he's not going to be President anymore and probably other benefits from being a past President. He will be alright

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
To me the two most serious things were
* In 2003 when he was president of a different seminary he counseled a student who had been raped at the school not to report it. The fact that he was president makes it a coverup. Events like that in the past have still gotten Penn State and the Catholic Church in trouble. If Southwestern believes this is likely to result in criminal charges, they may not want the headline "President of Southwest Seminary indicted for coverup ..."
* It appears that he currently teaches that women who are abused should stay with their husbands

The Southern Baptists are trying to maintain wifely submission. In order to avoid rebellion from their women, they have to draw lines around how far that can go. So yes, in a sense it's political.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is there a procedure/protocol that is followed for removing a seminary President?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In universities I know about, the board can do it. It's not like a tenured faculty member that can removed only with really good cause.

Top Bottom