Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Love and jealousy go hand in hand say many people. And the holy scriptures say that God is a Jealous God - it is said in one of the ten commandments. Is it true that deep real love leads to jealousy?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm a jealous person by nature. Does that make me more godly? :rotfl:

Is jealousy a sign of love?

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Love and jealousy go hand in hand say many people. And the holy scriptures say that God is a Jealous God - it is said in one of the ten commandments. Is it true that deep real love leads to jealousy?

If you couldn't care less it ain't very deep, but jealousy is stupid. Not interested enough? Then not.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's what I was asking :p

I don't know the answer!

I do know that there are people who tend to be more jealous in relationships than others. There are some who want to see the jealous nature in their companion so they go out of their way to induce it. You've seen girls purposely flirt with other guys so that their guy shows some more attention them right? That's out of jealousy or is it him marking his territory?

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know the answer!

I do know that there are people who tend to be more jealous in relationships than others. There are some who want to see the jealous nature in their companion so they go out of their way to induce it. You've seen girls purposely flirt with other guys so that their guy shows some more attention them right? That's out of jealousy or is it him marking his territory?

I don't know. I do know that it's childish. My ex always flirted with a girl from church and said he'd marry her. Then I flirted with a friend from my brother to nag him. My point came over. It was very childish and so over the top lol.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jealousy doesn't always have to be acted out though. Or does it?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I don't know the answer!

The root of my question is God's alleged jealousy and how that may be a pattern for human nature and its jealousies.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jealousy doesn't always have to be acted out though. Or does it?

No its better to just say: hey like her better? good luck then. bye.
God doesnt keep knocking and being jealous. Like the devil better? A pity. Door is locked, missed the wedding.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is God's jealousy because He already has us and we're trying to turn from Him but man's jealousy is because he doesn't really have what he wants?

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Two kinds , God's and man's. Man will get it right when he has God's kind of jealousy.
But man's jealousy come straight from the pit. It's petty, vindictive, it puts things out to stir up strife and cause division, pits ppl against each other, seeks to put down rather than build up, is basically a rejection of love, even though it uses it as an excuse.

Many a blatant crime has been commited by a jealous person, and many more are commited on a much more subversive level.
And like Lämmchen said, ppl often use other ppl to to 'get at' another and stir up jealousy. It doesn't always have to be open flirting, it's often more subtle. The withholding of affection, the lack of passion, the turning of attention away from the one, and towards another person or thing, ... These all stir jealousy and harm.

But love seeks no harm, and God's jealousy is so unlike man's. God loves us. He doesn't seek to harm us. He is jealous FOR us. He knows our turning our attention away from Him and towards idols, and sin, and man's type of jealousy and strife will only hurt us. He wants what's best for us, and His jealousy for us proves that out.

Not to keep us from love, but to keep us from harming ourselves and others.
Man's jealousy seeks to harm or get even, God's jealousy seeks to protect.
I'm grateful for God's jealousy, and the lessons He's been teaching me about this alot lately. He is such a good God. A good and jealous God. :)

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Is God's jealousy because He already has us and we're trying to turn from Him but man's jealousy is because he doesn't really have what he wants?
Yes exactly! You snuck this in while I was still typing mine.
And said it better with fewer words of course. Wish I could do that as good as you. I'm jealous! ;) (see, that there was a joke) :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

From Got Questions....

Question: "Why is God a jealous God?"

Answer: It is important to understand how the word “jealous” is used. Its use in Exodus 20:5 to describe God is different from how it is used to describe the sin of jealousy (Galatians 5:20). When we use the word “jealous,” we use it in the sense of being envious of someone who has something we do not have. A person might be jealous or envious of another person because he or she has a nice car or home (possessions). Or a person might be jealous or envious of another person because of some ability or skill that other person has (such as athletic ability). Another example would be that one person might be jealous or envious of another because of his or her beauty.

In Exodus 20:5, it is not that God is jealous or envious because someone has something He wants or needs. Exodus 20:4-5 says, “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God...” Notice that God is jealous when someone gives to another something that rightly belongs to Him.

In these verses, God is speaking of people making idols and bowing down and worshiping those idols instead of giving God the worship that belongs to Him alone. God is possessive of the worship and service that belong to Him. It is a sin (as God points out in this commandment) to worship or serve anything other than God. It is a sin when we desire, or we are envious, or we are jealous of someone because he has something that we do not have. It is a different use of the word “jealous” when God says He is jealous. What He is jealous of belongs to Him; worship and service belong to Him alone, and are to be given to Him alone.

Perhaps a practical example will help us understand the difference. If a husband sees another man flirting with his wife, he is right to be jealous, for only he has the right to flirt with his wife. This type of jealousy is not sinful. Rather, it is entirely appropriate. Being jealous for something that God declares to belong to you is good and appropriate. Jealousy is a sin when it is a desire for something that does not belong to you. Worship, praise, honor, and adoration belong to God alone, for only He is truly worthy of it. Therefore, God is rightly jealous when worship, praise, honor, or adoration is given to idols. This is precisely the jealousy the apostle Paul described in 2 Corinthians 11:2, “I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy...”
Source: www.gotquestions.org/jealous-God.html

I hope that helps....

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

No, He .. our spirit with jealousy, but He won't always strive with man. He doesn't want man to have other gods before Him, He wants to be first, a lukewarm bride He spits out.
If we're really christian and a spouse is about to cheat and there's the Godly type of jealousy you fast and pray for that person and then the person can come back. Know someone who did that. He went to an old girlfriend cause they had trouble and she just fasted and prayed and it was horrible he said and he came back. But the ungodly jealousy just wants to not forgive and ruin that person or at least do it back.
But when you love and forgive and the jealousy is gone it's just His Love for a brother, not relationship kinda love.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes exactly! You snuck this in while I was still typing mine.
And said it better with fewer words of course. Wish I could do that as good as you. I'm jealous! ;) (see, that there was a joke) :)

Don't be jelly!

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
No, He .. our spirit with jealousy, but He won't always strive with man. He doesn't want man to have other gods before Him, He wants to be first, a lukewarm bride He spits out.
If we're really christian and a spouse is about to cheat and there's the Godly type of jealousy you fast and pray for that person and then the person can come back. Know someone who did that. He went to an old girlfriend cause they had trouble and she just fasted and prayed and it was horrible he said and he came back. But the ungodly jealousy just wants to not forgive and ruin that person.
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. Yous ppl keep stealing my thoughts. I'm jealous! :=D: Actually, it seems most of us here are on the same page here, but maybe saying it in different ways. Man's (unGodly) jealousy is cold and often seeks harm. God's (Godly) jealousy always seeks the good. It all comes back to love wanting the best for the loved.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
If we're really christian and a spouse is about to cheat and there's the Godly type of jealousy you fast and pray for that person and then the person can come back. Know someone who did that. He went to an old girlfriend cause they had trouble and she just fasted and prayed and it was horrible he said and he came back. But the ungodly jealousy just wants to not forgive and ruin that person or at least do it back.
But when you love and forgive and the jealousy is gone it's just His Love for a brother, not relationship kinda love.
This add-on to your post confuses me. Was it jealousy in a marriage or relationship already? Then if he forgave her, if she forgave him, if there's no jealousy, and no provocation to jealousy, why wouldn't it continue? That's what I meant before (was it this thread?) That, God's mercies are new every morning. Love is a choice, and many a marriage has, and should, survive that easily, if their love was and is true.
Overall I agree with the post.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. Yous ppl keep stealing my thoughts. I'm jealous! :=D: Actually, it seems most of us here are on the same page here, but maybe saying it in different ways. Man's (unGodly) jealousy is cold and often seeks harm. God's (Godly) jealousy always seeks the good. It all comes back to love wanting the best for the loved.
I guess my add-on to this is that in today's era, many have turned it into 'Get mine first, then I will 'love' someone else, and even in some churches these days you might hear, 'You cant love someone else unless you love yourself first', but God says we should love God and love others as we (already) love ourselves. Thank God for His abounding grace and love for us.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jealousy to me, in the scriptural sense is in respect to idol worship; which is to say putting the wants of self before what is knowingly good and right in the sight of GOD; the One you are to be faithful to in love as a faithful believer. Is even jealousy not righteous in the case of GOD? How awful is it to proclaim ones love to the faces of all, all while secretly to all but your supposed love, going steadily and knowingly in the opposite direction; that direction being any other than than the one that would cause the relationship to flourish.

How sour and strong is that taste of deceit and betrayal when ones true love is found to be untrue all along?

I think GOD is all knowing and all powerful but that we are also given freedom to choose to reciprocate the love of GOD, or we can love this life and the things of it, putting them before GOD and effectively showing what one cares about more.

Just my take, partially as always.

peace

faith in selfless unity for good

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
This add-on to your post confuses me. Was it jealousy in a marriage or relationship already? Then if he forgave her, if she forgave him, if there's no jealousy, and no provocation to jealousy, why wouldn't it continue? That's what I meant before (was it this thread?) That, God's mercies are new every morning. Love is a choice, and many a marriage has, and should, survive that easily, if their love was and is true.
Overall I agree with the post.

I guess my add-on to this is that in today's era, many have turned it into 'Get mine first, then I will 'love' someone else, and even in some churches these days you might hear, 'You cant love someone else unless you love yourself first', but God says we should love God and love others as we (already) love ourselves. Thank God for His abounding grace and love for us.

Oh I meant if one took another and it's over.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Oh I meant if one took another and it's over.
Oh, in the sense of cheating or adultery, yes, thats like divorce before its on paper, a divorce of the heart. I think thats what God hates too when ig says that.

Top Bottom