Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The weekend of New Years the church I attend decided to cancel Sunday services for that weekend. When I asked why they said they wanted to give the hundreds of volunteers who help out a break to spend time with their families. I think this is a horrible decision and has upset me. I wonder what you all thoughts are?

I think Sunday worship pretty much "trumps" everything.....

And to ME, worship IS a break..... and a very, very pleasant, refreshing and blessed one at that.

I'd suggest just going somewhere else on the 31st.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

And to ME, worship IS a break..... and a very, very pleasant, refreshing and blessed one at that.

I completely agree. I am going to visit some other churches. I actually went to a church closer to my home this last Sunday

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We're all on your side with this move. And if the next church doesn't work out, don't give up the search.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
A service cancelled out is bad enough ...
Being a person cancelled out hurts like nothing else.
New Years Eve?
It's Christmas Eve right now, and I'm alone.
No wife, no kids, no girlfriend.
I believe in Jesus, but christianity I don't understand at all.

https://youtu.be/wSFB2ytWJLQ
I am reminded of Paul as he asked God to take away the thorn in his flesh. God told him, "my grace is sufficient for you. In your weakness I am made strong."
I have no clue why God has ordained your life as he has, Snerfle, but I do know that his grace is sufficient.
I received notification this morning that two beloved and saintly women in my life went home to be with God last night. It is bittersweet as I mourn their passing, yet rejoice they are with God.
Jesus tells us that he never leaves us nor forsakes us. He is with us now and forever more. Somehow, in our lonliness, we must trust God that his promises are true. God's grace is sufficient.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I decided to go back to this church this coming Sunday. I don't like the decision to skip a Sunday, but I don't want it to push me away from the ministry and work I am trying to do there.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I won't argue with the idea that worship can be refreshing, but merely note that worship doesn't have to be performed in the same building every week. There's nothing to stop people worshiping wherever and whenever they choose - on occasion I skip going to church on a Sunday morning and go for a long walk in the woods instead. There I can be alone, spend time in prayer and reflection, and come back refreshed. My wife says I often come home looking physically exhausted yet deeply peaceful.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I won't argue with the idea that worship can be refreshing, but merely note that worship doesn't have to be performed in the same building every week. There's nothing to stop people worshiping wherever and whenever they choose
I don't think that was the issue. After all, JSimms did attend another church on that occasion, but the issue is whether the one he's served and called 'home' lately is worth staying with in the long run if it approaches worship in the "pop culture" manner than we've been reading about.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think that was the issue. After all, JSimms did attend another church on that occasion, but the issue is whether the one he's served and called 'home' lately is worth staying with in the long run if it approaches worship in the "pop culture" manner than we've been reading about.

The "pop culture" is a potential concern, I just don't see it as related to whether one particular service goes ahead.

My former church would routinely share services with another local church during August, because both churches had sufficiently depleted congregations due to people being away on holiday etc that it was difficult to get much organised. The assorted young peoples' ministries had to be more or less suspended due to lack of volunteers, it was harder to get people on the sound and video rotas, ushers etc. Since two churches were heavily depleted it worked out reasonably well to put the two congregations together for a month, with the two churches alternating in their leadership of the service. For the record, I had no issues with my former church, the only reason I stopped attending was because I moved out of the area and when I visit friends in the area over the weekend I am very happy to attend it.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The "pop culture" is a potential concern, I just don't see it as related to whether one particular service goes ahead .
Well, I noticed that it was not the only issue. If it had been the only one, I probably would have agreed that pulling up stakes at the present time might be premature.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I am reminded of Paul as he asked God to take away the thorn in his flesh. God told him, "my grace is sufficient for you. In your weakness I am made strong."
I have no clue why God has ordained your life as he has, Snerfle, but I do know that his grace is sufficient.
I received notification this morning that two beloved and saintly women in my life went home to be with God last night. It is bittersweet as I mourn their passing, yet rejoice they are with God.
Jesus tells us that he never leaves us nor forsakes us. He is with us now and forever more. Somehow, in our lonliness, we must trust God that his promises are true. God's grace is sufficient.

It wasnt about that ... The thorn in the flesh was a messenger (so I'm guessing, with a message, probably of false teaching and/or condemnation) sent to buffet/harrass Paul.

That much I get, I've had plenty, and I kind of expect it ... The world and the enemy hates the message of salvation by grace, and so the claws and fiery darts come out against it.

God told Paul His grace is sufficient, His strength is made (shown) perfect (perfected/completed) in our (apparent) weakness, i.e. , Paul would SEEM weak in that he prayed repeatedly for this 'thorn' to be removed, for Paul to be delivered from it or have victory (strength) in that sense, but God said No, you ALREADY HAVE victory (in Christ) My Grace is sufficient.

See then how Paul rather 'boasted' (proclaimed and rejoiced) in his own (apparent) weakness ... he'd bring nothing of his own works or righteousness or power to have victory, but he'd 'boast' in the Lord and HIS victory...HIS GRACE being sufficient...for salvation and growth and victory over false teaching and the enemies assaults.

But thats not what I was referring to that you commented on ... Re: loneliness and having ppl (christians) abandon, ignore, or even gossip/backstab each other, is what I was talking about not understanding at the time I posted that.

Not about having ppl die, ... that stinks but is unavoidable, but it's not done to hurt you or deliberately leave you lonely, right? (Which, btw, I'm sorry for the loss (even temporary) of your friends, but also rejoice WITH you that you and they had assurance of salvation, that's what Jesus came for, praise the Lord, God bless you!)

I wouldnt blame God or want to make a person feel bad with things like, "Oh well, God ordained his life to be that way, so...oh well, be warm and fed, His grace is sufficient".
(Maybe you weren't meaning it like that, but that's kinda how it sounded)

No, what I had posted about was cold-heartedness that manifests in cold shoulders, deliberately, by some professing christians .... It happens in alot of ways, sadly, but it seems really rampant on-line, (though that in itself may be an indication of some false teaching, so in that sense, grace is needed, as well ... grace is always needed) but that's a different context than that of Paul's thorn in the flesh.

P.S.*Sorry to be a bit off thread-topic, tho it loosely relates to the OP, in a general sense. Anyway, I just came across this reply and wanted to address it.* Thx...

Top Bottom