Ask Me (Almost Anything)

seekingsolace

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No side is innocent. 90% of the threads made are 'seemingly' with the intent to stir debate. Not the good kind.

There is an element of baiting, and also plenty of negative inference in wording.

Anyway back to the OP - question time.

Lammchen - Was this forum made with the intent of edification as the name suggests 'haven' for Christians; if so, how do we get to that?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
No side is innocent. 90% of the threads made are 'seemingly' with the intent to stir debate. Not the good kind.

There is an element of baiting, and also plenty of negative inference in wording.

Anyway back to the OP - question time.

Lammchen - Was this forum made with the intent of edification as the name suggests 'haven' for Christians; if so, how do we get to that?

This IS a haven for Christians but it is open to all because we are to be a light to this world. If members show their dark side, then they are doing a disservice to everyone. The team cannot control all members and their posting style and we have been told repeatedly that members do not want an over-moderated site.

We're working on having something new that I haven't really seen on other sites before and hopefully it will allow members to realize when they've gone overboard and correct their own mistakes posted here.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This IS a haven for Christians but it is open to all because we are to be a light to this world. If members show their dark side, then they are doing a disservice to everyone. The team cannot control all members and their posting style and we have been told repeatedly that members do not want an over-moderated site.

We're working on having something new that I haven't really seen on other sites before and hopefully it will allow members to realize when they've gone overboard and correct their own mistakes posted here.
Do you think that overmoderation is the fear and this bsically no moderation gives people a license to act badly?

seekingsolace

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It was a haven for Christians, doesn't feel that way anymore.

There is a large divide on these forums, and as time progresses it worsens. This is not only among Christians.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hello :wave:

How long have you been married?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you think that overmoderation is the fear and this bsically no moderation gives people a license to act badly?

Is there no moderation?

People who act badly here have acted badly on other forums as well. The thing to stop that with everyone is to cease interacting with those people if you so desire. That is one great solution to many problems here. Too many people feel that they have to have the last word, the last jab, the last knife thrown. It's ridiculous.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It was a haven for Christians, doesn't feel that way anymore.

There is a large divide on these forums, and as time progresses it worsens. This is not only among Christians.

Of course it is still a haven for Christians. Since we have had 2 members now stating differently, I'm going to begin a discussion thread elsewhere because I really do not understand why you both have stated it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hello :wave:

How long have you been married?

My husband and I have been married for 25 years and we dated for 6 years prior to that. We've known each other a lifetime!

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I consider the responses I get in forums like this one from random folk from various denominations I am not encouraged to visit their denominational meetings. One cannot feel very encouraged when folk persistently set out to redicule one's beliefs. When I visited a Pentecostal meeting because I had promised a friend that I would when their new buildinng was commpleted I was met with two attempts to convert me to Christ (the assumption being that because I am a Catholic I could not possibly know the Lord) and was firmly upbraded for callinng myself a Catholic instead of a ROMAN Catholic because (said the speaker) "we're Catholics not you" and I was also told that Jesus isn't in the bread and wine of communion. That was more than enough to convince me that I would not be much interested in visiting again an Assembly of God (now called Australian Christian Church) meeting.

Oh my. Yes that's true. If we get a visitor who is not evangelic it is automatically assumed he/she isn't a christian. When they say but I am already saved it's: Let's say the sinner's prayer just to be sure.
I can see how one would think: buh bye!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I really don't like when people think that if you haven't said the sinner's prayer that you aren't saved. Prayers don't save; a Savior saves.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course it is still a haven for Christians. Since we have had 2 members now stating differently, I'm going to begin a discussion thread elsewhere because I really do not understand why you both have stated it.
Would also like to see how this unfolds.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What do you mean?
My guess is there is a little bit of confrontation between members going on here and under those circumstances it is no longer a 'haven'. But like I said this is my 'guess'. From my experience Christianity Haven is less confrontational than most forums. I guess we will see if my intuition about this is correct or not :huh:

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is there no moderation?

People who act badly here have acted badly on other forums as well. The thing to stop that with everyone is to cease interacting with those people if you so desire. That is one great solution to many problems here. Too many people feel that they have to have the last word, the last jab, the last knife thrown. It's ridiculous.

We have a Dutch site that hardly moderates and when people get mad lol he says: I'm not your babysitter. I have a life. Not gonna watch you all day. Just behave like adults and sometimes just don't react. Works fine.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Dont think that is going to work but it would be nice, I would suggest adding an ignore feature as well

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dont think that is going to work but it would be nice, I would suggest adding an ignore feature as well

vBulletin has an intrinsic ignore feature. Admins and moderators cannot be ignored, as we have it set up here. You can find it on your "Settings" page. :)

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
vBulletin has an intrinsic ignore feature. Admins and moderators cannot be ignored, as we have it set up here. You can find it on your "Settings" page. :)
Thanks, that could be handy

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My guess is there is a little bit of confrontation between members going on here and under those circumstances it is no longer a 'haven'. But like I said this is my 'guess'. From my experience Christianity Haven is less confrontational than most forums. I guess we will see if my intuition about this is correct or not :huh:

Every site will have members who won't get along with each other...but then there are groups of many others who do get along. I feel that the majority of us on this message board actually do enjoy conversing with each other! :) I know I like all of you!

Top Bottom