Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I don't know if any of you have read the book sacred marriage by Gary Thomas, but I would highly recommend it. I am reading it now. He talks about how marriage is the relationship that God uses to teach us to be more like him and to learn things like loving another, commitment, sacrifice etc

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I second your findings! And for wives, I also recommend "A Sacred Influence" by Gary Thomas. I love how he gets into the nitty-gritty of marriage, but I do find that the book is only really embraced by those who are willing to take a hard, honest look at themselves, and not be quick to point the finger of blame to the spouse. Living this book requires self-awareness, introspection and the humility of brutal self-honesty. Without this, the book can backfire - and the reader can say "my spouse doesn't do [this] or [that]." Readers must be willing to take full personal responsibility for the state of the marriage.

Fantastic book! And it makes a terrific shower or wedding gift.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, I read his other book "Authentic Faith" a few weeks ago and it really made me do some soul searching. It was very convicting. It runs against the name it and claim it, be happy all the time gospel that is preached in many places today

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Oh, that sounds like a good one, too! I'll have to check it out when work slows down and does not require so much mental and emotional energy. Gary Thomas is a good author who serves meat rather than milk. Another good author is Josh McDowell....but that's off-topic.

What is it about Sacred Marriage that has helped to transform your marriage and how you think about your marriage?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Gary's whole thought about marriage is that it is a major tool by which we learn to become more christlike. Helping us to learn to love other people more, forgive more, to be vulnerable to someone else. Most of the time when you hear advice about marriage it isn't about becoming more christlike, but about how you can get more out of it. Gary changes the focus by saying what can you give to the other person. For me, after 22 years of marriage, it has been about forgiving some past hurts and not holding those things against the other person. Appreciating and valuing her for who she is.
He also mentioned that marriage is a way that God has of describing his relationship to his people. Such as when Hosea is told to go and marry a prostitute. Being unfaithful in that way is spiritual adultery. Putting other things before God and loving them instead of Him.

Top Bottom