question about moderation

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I read the thread, but was wondering does it start over at any point? In other words, suppose I break a rule and then six months or a year later I break a rule again will that be count as a first or second informal PM?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I will look through some of the earlier posts from the site leaders when they first created this protocol to see if that was addressed. If I don't find anything, I'll ask Romanos what he feels is best concerning this.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
For what it's worth, on my site we do not have an expiration date for advisories...once advised, always advised. We keep a detailed accounting of when, why and by whom for such informal advisories too. However, each rule is treated separately and users with less than 5 posts are treated more leniently with just a reminder in the thread where the rule was broken and no record kept of that. Sometimes it is a good thing for reminders to be posted publicly as other users will see that and be reminded that moderation is active and fair.

We also employ a system whereby users are required to accept the rules before they are allowed to post. Then a record is made of when they accepted the rules, and shown in their profiles for senior staff (admins/global mods). This way a user cannot say they had no idea of a particular rule and that they are being treated unfairly.

We found that users respond much more favorably to an informal PM than to getting a formal warning or infraction the first time the violate a rule. Even when requiring a user to accept a set of rules, it should be kept in mind that most will read them as thoroughly as they would read the instruction manual for a new device. Most people just want to power up and go, which is understandable. :)

I wish to point out that the system being used here is even more forgiving than the one I put into place at my site (where we have more rules governing how to properly ask for math help), and we have had no issues, so I think CH will be fine as well. :)

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
id be happier with a system that mods just scroll back and delete posts .. no explanation required and the site gets on getting on .

i guess it won't bother me too much as i'll be decreasing my presence here ( that should bring a sigh to some haha ) with aim to cease fully in due time .
and openly state the reasons being: that while the concept of a christianity haven forum is nice .. and has awesome potential . Its foundations have been laid askew and a line no matter how much it may look parallel to truth when it begins will move further and further out of alignment as it goes on because it was not laid straight at its beginnings .
you cannot expect a building to remain true as it heightens when some of its foundation stones are utterly corrupt in the most adverse manner possible .

"what fellowship has light with darkness"

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
In other words there are posters who bother you? Do you feel that more moderation would help that situation or not? I really do not want you to leave. Could you eprhaps pm Lammichin and fully explain what is causing you to want to leave and what could be done about it?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
id be happier with a system that mods just scroll back and delete posts .. no explanation required and the site gets on getting on.

This makes moderation more tedious in the long run, when users may not realize their post has been deleted, and so they make the same mistakes over and over again. I have moderated sites for well over a decade and over time you begin to see what is effective and what's not. You find what is received well and what is not.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
id be happier with a system that mods just scroll back and delete posts .. no explanation required and the site gets on getting on .

i guess it won't bother me too much as i'll be decreasing my presence here ( that should bring a sigh to some haha ) with aim to cease fully in due time .
and openly state the reasons being: that while the concept of a christianity haven forum is nice .. and has awesome potential . Its foundations have been laid askew and a line no matter how much it may look parallel to truth when it begins will move further and further out of alignment as it goes on because it was not laid straight at its beginnings .
you cannot expect a building to remain true as it heightens when some of its foundation stones are utterly corrupt in the most adverse manner possible .

Please PM me as I'm confused about this.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We've come up with another idea, but it's not in the works yet. We hope soon to share this with you and it will help free up mods as there will be more self-moderation. Stay tuned!

seekingsolace

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We've come up with another idea, but it's not in the works yet. We hope soon to share this with you and it will help free up mods as there will be more self-moderation. Stay tuned!

Do tell.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Deleting a post is well and good but unless people know why a post has been deleted (and in some cases that it has been deleted at all) nobody learns from it. On another forum I used to moderate years ago people whose post just disappeared sometimes posted the exact same thing, thinking it was a system glitch, because they weren't told why it had disappeared.

Would you care to elaborate? This sounds very much like "you're doing it wrong" but with no indication as to what you think is wrong or why.

Unless you're saying the forum is set up in darkness (which is a serious allegation that shouldn't be made lightly, and shouldn't be treated lightly if it is shown to be credible) I don't know why you're saying that.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If I had my druthers then post deletions with a PM would be the second line of defence and the first would be a PM asking for a post to be modified if it violated a rule. I think that many times people let their religious fervour carry them away into insults and un-pleasantries without necessarily intending to be nasty ... though some are nasty by intent and some are persistent in being nasty.

Being a Catholic I am often on the receiving end of personal dislikes for the Catholic Church and for her teaching (more often it is her imagined teaching rather than what she really does teach). And I confess to getting tired of being asked to defend or explain or whatever and I also confess to ignoring persistent accusations that are essentially the same thing said repeatedly - like "Rome is xxx" and "Rome did yyy" or "Rome teaches zzz" where zzz is an absurdity or an opinion opined by some overzealous saint or theologian in language that is (when translated into English) overly effusive or ambiguous or (and this is very common) uses words with meanings that are no longer current in the English language but may have been when the translator did his work. So I ask pardon for ignoring such posts and for occasional bouts of less than charitable replies ...

Anyway, gentle and private dealings ought to be the first line and ought to be informal as often as possible.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, now I can't wait for what we have planned to happen. I think you all will be receptive to it!! Hopefully now that the site is kind of back to normal Mark might have some time to work on it and Romanos might let me spill the beans to everyone and tell you what the big plan is!

seekingsolace

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single

makes sense.

Top Bottom