Mother of God

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good choice to use holy scripture. Do you have anybody to discuss matters with in face to face conversations?
Periodically and I am able to attend a church. Once someone said that this place to be considered a church and I do agree with that to some level. Due to my traveling I cannot become a member of any one church but I do my very best to attend church at every chance that I get. Not any particular denomination mind you.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I can't seem to find a good place to jump in. Darnit Alithis. :p

oh.sorry .. leap on in but the waters rather murky of late lol

i note you have an "eastern orthodox" icon ... and its reminded me that" some ".. consider the word of the church to be gods word ( albeit sometimes even when it is in contradiction to Gods written word - which i personally find extremely odd)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
mary was not an issue not even a topic .

I disagree. "MARY - the Mother of God" is about Mary.

The title affirms two and only two things:
1. Jesus is divine and may be called "God" (as the Bible itself teaches, as the Bible itself does, as Jesus Himself agreed to and praised)
2. Mary bore Him (as the Bible itself states.

To deny the title is to deny one or both of those proclaimations, to insist that Jesus is NOT divine and/or that Mary did not birth him. BOTH of which I find very unbiblical, unorthodox, and unchristian.

Now, if you want to DELETE the title and substitute titles that NO ONE has EVER used: "Mary - the Creator of God" or "Mary - The Mother of the Trinity" then I'd agree, those are heretical, but I'd remind you that NO ONE has EVER, EVER used those titles or believes that. Such is simply changing the topic, creating a silly strawman, and then noting condemnation of something NO ONE has EVER remotely stated, no one has ever believed or said. No one, ever.

Thank you.

Pax

- Josiah

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So now that my profile reflects my stance can any traditional Catholics answer any of my questions please?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So now that my profile reflects my stance can any traditional Catholics answer any of my questions please?

I am sure that I did answer your questions. Jesus is called God the Son in John 1:18. If the KJV translates from manuscripts that do not make that clear it is a fault in those manuscripts rather than an absence of the title "God the Son" in holy scripture.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sure that I did answer your questions. Jesus is called God the Son in John 1:18. If the KJV translates from manuscripts that do not make that clear it is a fault in those manuscripts rather than an absence of the title "God the Son" in holy scripture.
So you attest that the very manuscripts that are misinterpreted by the KJV are are faulty as opposed to the translation?

That's really close to saying that the original doesn't suite your agenda so you prefer to make up your own.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So you attest that the very manuscripts that are misinterpreted by the KJV are are faulty as opposed to the translation?

That's really close to saying that the original doesn't suite your agenda so you prefer to make up your own.

The translation is fine, the manuscripts are probably fine too (with one exception), but the printed texts used by the KJV translators are no longer regarded as amongst the best. They had seven printed editions available, nearly all of them drawn from the same (and very small number of) manuscripts.

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
oh.sorry .. leap on in but the waters rather murky of late lol

i note you have an "eastern orthodox" icon ... and its reminded me that" some ".. consider the word of the church to be gods word ( albeit sometimes even when it is in contradiction to Gods written word - which i personally find extremely odd)

So I'm jumping in now lol. :p

I've never heard that before, but that's not me thinking like that. :p

But going back to the topic, I can't wrap my head around the issue with the terminology of Mother of God. When I use the term, I don't say it to detract honor from God. Mother of God is that Mary is mother of the human form of Jesus, who is fully God and fully man.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So, George, you're like the Lutherans who view it by looking to Jesus instead of just the one who gave birth? It validates that Jesus is God.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
And if Jesus is God then that is who we should be praying to

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So, George, you're like the Lutherans who view it by looking to Jesus instead of just the one who gave birth? It validates that Jesus is God.

That's very like Catholic teaching; Blessed Mary's titles all point to the one to whom she gave birth and not to herself; thus "mother of God" because her Son is God, "mother of Love" because her Son is Love, "help of Christians" because her Son is the source of all grace, and so forth for each title. It is not Mary who receives the glory but her blessed Son the Lord Jesus Christ.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The theology of the title is ONE of the things most Christians agree with: Including Lutheran, Anglican, Orthodox and Catholic. I frankly prefer the Orthodox title (Theotokos - "God Bearer") to the western title (Matre Dei - "Mother of God") but the theology is the same. Unless I'm conversing with Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans or Lutherans, however, I rarely use either title as it seems to be confusing to some modern Christians and I don't wish to confuse.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There's no better way to educate and stave off bad theology than to speak clearly about what is meant the things we affirm as Christians. Avoiding issues because some who are ignorant or entertain errors in theology is bad from a pedagogical perspective.

Top Bottom