Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The other thing is that he just gave me the creeps, even before I knew about his lack of formal training, After I found that out, I just felt like he could teach whatever his opinion was rather than what was Biblically sound. He also started this church and while I’ve only been there once, he just didn’t sit right with me.

You're right! A "pastor" who hasn't been trained is more tempted to preach on how he feels instead of knowing the original languages and proper doctrine. Then you get some weird off shoots in denominations.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You're right! A "pastor" who hasn't been trained is more tempted to preach on how he feels instead of knowing the original languages and proper doctrine. Then you get some weird off shoots in denominations.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another thing that bothered me was their reluctance to tell me he was self taught. It took a long time before they told me that, after my asking several times, it was like they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't know that a pastor without formal training is inherently more likely to preach based on what they feel. I would be worried if a church was trying to hide the fact a pastor wasn't formally trained - it suggests they think of it as a problem that needs to be hidden rather than being open about the fact the church believes the pastor was called by God.

Having seen the process of putting someone through formal training (not myself, a guy at a church I went to in the past) it seems like there's a lot of steps that are about people making discernment calls whether the person really is called. There is potential merit in the process but also the potential for God to call someone only to have it shot down by having the wrong people in the selection process. And then of course come the fees.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't know that a pastor without formal training is inherently more likely to preach based on what they feel. I would be worried if a church was trying to hide the fact a pastor wasn't formally trained - it suggests they think of it as a problem that needs to be hidden rather than being open about the fact the church believes the pastor was called by God.

Having seen the process of putting someone through formal training (not myself, a guy at a church I went to in the past) it seems like there's a lot of steps that are about people making discernment calls whether the person really is called. There is potential merit in the process but also the potential for God to call someone only to have it shot down by having the wrong people in the selection process. And then of course come the fees.
It seemed to me that they were indeed trying to hide that fact.
And I prefer a pastor who is educated, not one that starts his own church and teaches himself.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It seemed to me that they were indeed trying to hide that fact.
And I prefer a pastor who is educated, not one that starts his own church and teaches himself.

Exactly! I've seen some pretty crazy teachings from people who were led only by the Holy Spirit (their claim).

Even the disciples were trained by Jesus for 3 years!

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
For myself I think that if the pastor of the church has more people than he can care for the church needs to seriously consider dividing so it can continue to grow. I know some churches end up with a supersenior pastor, a group of senior pastors, pastors, youth pastors, pastors in training and so on but, for me at least, that ends up becoming more like a business than a church. If a person has the title "pastor" but they aren't involved in pastoring the congregation they aren't really a pastor. If you've got a dozen senior pastors with one overarching supersenior pastor, that person probably isn't the one who you go and talk to if you need prayer for something, so it's easy to see that they aren't adding a lot of value to the organisation.

I find myself instinctively somewhat uneasy at the thought of having big video screens to show the man who is preaching, especially if he's not even physically present. The whole point of the service and the sermon is to point towards Jesus Christ, and anything that has the potential to shift the focus onto the man who is speaking is something I think we need to be very careful around.
i think that’s what I dislike about that idea. The focus was on the MAN ON THE SCREEN and it was distracting....and gives the feeling we weren’t really being led by anyone.

Since I’m new here and don’t know most of you, let me tell you a bit about myself. I was born and raised Catholic but was never spiritually fed at Mass. I stopped going to Mass when I was about 24 and for years was agnostic, atheist, checked out UCC and dabbled in New Age.

I returned to the RCC about 15 years ago but again, it didn’t last. I checked out a United Methodist church, another UCC, three ND (non denominational) churches and a nearby Lutheran LCMS church which is where I finally settled. I’ve been there for about two years or so.

I love my church because I‘ve had dozens of questions and one of the pastors has been very tolerant and patient in answering them. I was made to feel welcomed, especially since besides Christmas and Easter, I go to church alone. My husband doesn’t like going to church and our daughter is grown and married.
It’s a conservative denomination but the services are contemporary with an awesome praise band.
We have Holy Communion twice a month and receiving Communion was important to me. I like their beliefs about The Eucharist and believe their teaching about it more than the RCC teaching of transubstantiation.
The services have informative messages which Is great.
Also, prior to Covid, we had free classes available and Bible Study.

Whew!

Last edited:

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
i think that’s what I dislike about that idea. The focus was on the MAN ON THE SCREEN and it was distracting....and gives the feeling we weren’t really being led by anyone.

Since I’m new here and don’t know most of you, let me tell you a bit about myself. I was born and raised Catholic but was never spiritually fed at Mass. I stopped going to Mass when I was about 24 and for years was agnostic, atheist, checked out UCC and dabbled in New Age.

I returned to the RCC about 15 years ago but again, it didn’t last. I checked out a United Methodist church, another UCC, three ND (non denominational) churches and a nearby Lutheran LCMS church which is where I finally settled. I’ve been there for about two years or so.

I love my church because I‘ve had dozens of questions and one of the pastors has been very tolerant and patient in answering them. I was made to feel welcomed, especially since besides Christmas and Easter, I go to church alone. My husband doesn’t like going to church and our daughter is grown and married.
It’s a conservative denomination but the services are contemporary with an awesome praise band.
We have Holy Communion twice a month and receiving Communion was important to me. I like their beliefs about The Eucharist and believe their teaching about it more than the RCC teaching of transubstantiation.

Whew!
I’d like to also add that since they’re contemporary services, it’s nothing like a Catholic Mass, which was also important to me.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Whew!

I love my church for very similar reasons - quite aside from the typical requirements of sound Biblical teaching and a strong sense of fellowship I would struggle to settle in a church unless I had solid respect for the pastor. At our church I can honestly say that if you were to look at the ideal attributes of a pastor and put them all into one person it would look an awful lot like the pastor we have. I know he's not perfect but I truly struggle to see how anyone attending the church wouldn't respect him. It will be a sad day when he retires, but it's approaching fast enough we have a committee formed to find his replacement.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I love my church for very similar reasons - quite aside from the typical requirements of sound Biblical teaching and a strong sense of fellowship I would struggle to settle in a church unless I had solid respect for the pastor. At our church I can honestly say that if you were to look at the ideal attributes of a pastor and put them all into one person it would look an awful lot like the pastor we have. I know he's not perfect but I truly struggle to see how anyone attending the church wouldn't respect him. It will be a sad day when he retires, but it's approaching fast enough we have a committee formed to find his replacement.
I hope his replacement is another good pastor.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Exactly! I've seen some pretty crazy teachings from people who were led only by the Holy Spirit (their claim).

You know, that’s very true and something I hadn’t thought of until I read your post.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Formal training for pastors is something that is not as common as you might think and there are a lot of places in the US where the pastors have no formal training and are self taught. There are also some bigger name pastors who are self taught. I believe Charles Spurgeon was self taught.

Top Bottom