Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
At the wedding in Cana, he replied with a statement many may think is condescending. But he then listened to His Mother, what are your thoughts on that?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What's important to us is important to Him. Mary was essentially praying.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
At the wedding in Cana, he replied with a statement many may think is condescending. But he then listened to His Mother, what are your thoughts on that?

Despite all the accolades that churches have heaped on Mary over the years--Roman Catholics in particular--the Biblical record shows Christ as offering his mother only a formal level of regard throughout his life. She followed him all the way to the Resurrection, and was with the other disciples after that, yet he appears to have taken for granted that he owed her the basic respect that the Commandment instructs us about ("Honor thy Father and thy Mother, etc."). Why he wasn't "warmer" is something of a mystery.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Despite all the accolades that churches have heaped on Mary over the years--Roman Catholics in particular--the Biblical record shows Christ as offering his mother only a formal level of regard throughout his life. She followed him all the way to the Resurrection, and was with the other disciples after that, yet he appears to have taken for granted that he owed her the basic respect that the Commandment instructs us about ("Honor thy Father and thy Mother, etc."). Why he wasn't "warmer" is something of a mystery.
This He could not break any commandment and I believe that there is much not said about Christs mother. I dont hold to the Catholic view but I also dont beleive that He didnt honor and love His mother

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Is it the word "Woman" that people find condescending? Or was it the fact that He didn't straight away do her bidding?

We see similarities in other parts of scripture where Jesus doesn't immediately do what is asked of Him and once there is a sign of faith shown by the person requesting, He goes ahead and follows through on the request.

To me it is like when Jesus asks Who do you say I am? And the response was You are the Messiah! I see it that way because we don't demand things from God but if it comes from faith and is in line with God's will, He will grant the request.

Back to Cana, Mary went to Jesus expecting Him to just do what needed to be done. His response coaxes the sign of faith when she tells the servants to Do whatever He tells you. In that she is proclaiming that HE is the Messiah and He can do great things.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO, the amazing thing is not that Jesus listened to Mary but that He listens to me.... daily.... as I pray to Him.

MOJS4545

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Because Mary was no longer in charge of what Jesus did in His ministry

Top Bottom