Faith in self does not justify

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Jesus is the Samaritan. The parable is really about Him.

Perhaps so - how is that link made?
What do you think about the point, though - about the man wanting to appear justified (e.g. beyond reproach) only in this one matter of the law as opposed to suggesting he was somehow justified by God in all things?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Perhaps so - how is that link made?
What do you think about the point, though - about the man wanting to appear justified (e.g. beyond reproach) only in this one matter of the law as opposed to suggesting he was somehow justified by God in all things?

This is a long sermon by Luther but it touches on all points you ask about...I'll probably start a new thread on this topic so as not to go off on a tangent in this one:

https://oursaviormuscatine.org/sermons/2017-martin-luther-parable-of-the-good-samaritan

Here is the link for the new thread https://christianityhaven.com/showthread.php?8186-Jesus-is-the-Good-Samaritan&p=180853#post180853

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Faith in self is, by definition, a rejection of Jesus.

Faith in self points to self. "I......"

An example is: "I chose Jesus as my personal Savior" So what is the keystone, the point? SELF. Self did something that self is trusting; the entire foundation of trust is in what self did. "I repented of my sin therefore God saved me" So what is the keystone, the point, of this faith? SELF. Self did something that self is trusting, relying upon, trust in what self did.

Christianity is about Jesus. Jesus is the Savior. Salvation is something Jesus does. "Jesus....." The focus, the point, the trust is entirely in what Jesus did/does. Jesus is NOT the Offerer, NOT just the inspiration, NOT just the possibility-maker or door opener, Jesus is the SAVIOR. All the trust/reliance is in Jesus.

An illustration:

Years ago, I had an internet friend in India; he was an engineer schooled in England and a Bhatki Hindu. IRONICALLY, he seemed to understand Christianity better than a lot of Christians (or perhaps just stated it more clearly). He noted that all religions hold that we are "lost" or "fallen" or "broken" or "sinful" in some sense.... and that this needs to be addressed. He said this is addressed in 3 ways (all religions suggesting one of these three).

1. God provides a way for us to save ourselves. Eastern Religions tend to go this route. The Divine has set up something which means it is POSSIBLE for self to fix things (at least eventually, at least for self). The path is available, divine strength is available. But it's up to us to cease this. This ain't easy. It cannot be achieved in a single life time (perhaps not in tens of millions of lifetimes) BUT it IS possible. God saves no one, but he has provided a path to such and provides us with all we need to achieve it, it's just that the world is SO fallen that it's hard. Dedication by each person is what's needed.

2. God offers salvation. He compared this to a baby monkey who is in serious trouble, quick to die. But MOM has noticed and MOM comes to offer help. But the monkey must grab onto Mom and hold on to Mom! Salvation hinges on the baby adequately grabbing and holding on. Mom saves no one but makes it possible for the baby to be saved; Mom OFFERS it. Grabbing and holding by the monkey is what's needed. He compared this to Judaism and Islam.

3. God saves.
He compared this to a baby kitten who is in serious trouble, quick to die. But MOM has noticed and MOM comes to save. Mom picks up the kitten (perhaps unaware... perhaps even protesting) and carries the kitten to safety. Mom saves. Grace/mercy from God is what is needed. He said this is what is unique to Christianity.

I think he had a point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom