Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
On another forum someone had mentioned that the Baptists changed something in the hymn The Church's One Foundation from "by water and the Word" to "by Spirit and the Word". The song's original words are "by water and the word" and it's taken from the verse of Ephesians 5:26.

Here is the link from the Baptist hymn site of that song https://www.hymnsite.com/baptist/tbh350-the-churchs-one-foundation.shtml

Have you come across any other hymns where a church has changed the wording because it conflicts with their theology?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Changing lyrics happens a lot.... It often is illegal but in the case of this hymn, being public domain, it's probably okay.

Since Baptists deny any effectualness in Baptism, it was theologically necessary to either deleted this stanza or change the lyrics. If they do that with the words of Scripture, they surely can do so to the words of hymns.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know that some hymns are dropped from hymn books because of certain ideas that the church might want to avoid.

I'm Googling now and found a couple of sites that discuss changing words in hymns...warning, I haven't read them all the way through yet but here are the links:
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/20/nyregion/new-methodist-hymnal-is-shorn-of-stereotypes.html
And so, at choir rehearsal the other day, Mrs. Rowley got some surprises when she opened the new United Methodist Hymnal. The new volume replaces the 1966 hymnal, which was criticized by many in the denomination as ''elitist'' and out of step with the times.

Instead of ''His power and His love,'' Mrs. Rowley had to sing ''God's power and God's love.'' ''Sons of men and angels say Alleluia'' had become ''Earth and heaven in chorus say Alleluia.''

And in the hymn ''Nothing But the Blood of Jesus,'' the word ''bright'' was substituted for ''white'' in the verse ''makes me white as snow.'' 'Watch Our Hims and Hers'

https://www.deseret.com/2016/3/12/2...-and-civil-rights-leaders-ap-photo-cliff-owen
Does a wretch by any other name fit the tune?

Modern hymn writers (in this case, re-writers) seem to think so, and adjustments to the second line of "Amazing Grace" are now relatively common.

"Saved a wretch like me" is traded for "saved someone like me" or "saved and set me free" in newer renditions, as theological concerns drive some singers to leave wretch behind.

"The word … plays into self-hatred," said Brian McLaren, a Christian pastor, author and hymn writer.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Modern hymn writers (in this case, re-writers) seem to think so, and adjustments to the second line of "Amazing Grace" are now relatively common.

"Saved a wretch like me" is traded for "saved someone like me" or "saved and set me free" in newer renditions, as theological concerns drive some singers to leave wretch behind.

You have a thread on the sin of pride.... here's a perfect example.

EGO causes people to think "I'm okay, you're okay" and to deny our total depravity and unworthiness....

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yep. Most of these revisions, in the UMC or other denominations, are made in order to eliminate one or the other of two concepts from traditional Christianity--

1. God is our Father (figure).

and

2. We mortals are not so bad as the Bible suggests we are.

My personal "favorite" among lyrics-changes is found in the Battle Hymn of the Republic in which it used to be said that "As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" but is now often rendered "As he died to make men holy, let us live to make men free."

So this means that A) God is not our model and B) going into battle is nothing special. :huh:

Top Bottom