Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Luke 6:45 "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

This seems like a very revealing statement to me. That in some ways we can see the condition of a person's heart by what comes out of their mouth. The foul, cursing mouth is a sign of a foul and ugly heart problem. A person who has good words coming out of it tells you that his heart is in better condition. For a believer, perhaps it really reflects if we are walking with the Lord or walking in the flesh. Because as we know that a person can claim to be a believer yet not be walking with God and that person's words betray him and show what his heart condition is.

Yet, none of us is always going to be perfect. In James 3:2 it says, "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check." So, I think part of the indication of a person who walks with God is humility, knowing that neither you nor anyone else you meet deserves the grace of God and his mercy. James goes on to say something about this when he says that the wisdom "that comes from heaven is first of all pure; submissive, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and sincere." James 3:17.

I think this also tells us that if we hear unkind words coming out of our own mouth or words of division or hatred then it is telling you that you need to spend a little more time with the Lord examining your own heart because you have a heart problem that needs some attention. I find that this is a daily need that I have to spend time with the Lord so that I am reflecting that I know him. If I neglect that time, then things can quickly get worse.

It reminds me of how I recently started jogging again after taking about three months off. I ran in a 5k race with very little training and didn't actually run the whole thing because I was not able to. Three months before that I had done one in 30 minutes. I realized that I had lost my ability to run quickly very fast due to neglect of my training. The children of Israel had that problem when they neglected worship and focusing on God and then got their eyes on their problems soon they were walking in doubt instead of faith. And it is easy to let life get us down or too busy. We need to make time with God a priority.

Your thoughts?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You are right on with everything you said. God wants us to put Him first and spend time with Him and the closer we get to God the better we are able toshow God in our words and deeds

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Circumcision of the heart

Luke 6:45 "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

This seems like a very revealing statement to me. That in some ways we can see the condition of a person's heart by what comes out of their mouth. The foul, cursing mouth is a sign of a foul and ugly heart problem. A person who has good words coming out of it tells you that his heart is in better condition. For a believer, perhaps it really reflects if we are walking with the Lord or walking in the flesh. Because as we know that a person can claim to be a believer yet not be walking with God and that person's words betray him and show what his heart condition is.

Yet, none of us is always going to be perfect. In James 3:2 it says, "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check." So, I think part of the indication of a person who walks with God is humility, knowing that neither you nor anyone else you meet deserves the grace of God and his mercy. James goes on to say something about this when he says that the wisdom "that comes from heaven is first of all pure; submissive, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and sincere." James 3:17.

I think this also tells us that if we hear unkind words coming out of our own mouth or words of division or hatred then it is telling you that you need to spend a little more time with the Lord examining your own heart because you have a heart problem that needs some attention. I find that this is a daily need that I have to spend time with the Lord so that I am reflecting that I know him. If I neglect that time, then things can quickly get worse.

It reminds me of how I recently started jogging again after taking about three months off. I ran in a 5k race with very little training and didn't actually run the whole thing because I was not able to. Three months before that I had done one in 30 minutes. I realized that I had lost my ability to run quickly very fast due to neglect of my training. The children of Israel had that problem when they neglected worship and focusing on God and then got their eyes on their problems soon they were walking in doubt instead of faith. And it is easy to let life get us down or too busy. We need to make time with God a priority.

Your thoughts?

Amen. Very well said indeed.

Just a couple quick thoughts this morning...

The Apostle Paul in writing about those who were insisting that one must be circumcised physically to be of the family of God says -
"For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh;
29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God."
- Rom 2:28-29

Yes, as you correctly stated - 'a person can claim to be a believer yet not be walking with God and that person's words betray him and show what his heart condition is.'
It can be easy to do all the religious things and 'go through the motions' as the song sings, and even "honor God with our lips, while our hearts are far from Him." (Matt 15:8)

God is not after our religious duty, He is after our heart. Even from the beginning of Israel: physical circumcision was the outward sign, but the "circumcision of heart" was what God was after. (Deut 10:16) It's the cutting away of the stubbornness and sin in our heart that God desires. If we appear to be pious, yet harbor hatred or lust or envy in our hearts, then we are not right with God, no matter what we claim or what religious duty we may perform (including confession, reciting a sinner's prayer, etc...)

Jesus addressed this as well. He was accused of allowing His True disciples to break regulations (outward religious signs) of the Law of Moses, and He answered -

"Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.” - Matt 15:17-20

As the Word declares, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself." - Luke 10:27

For not our religious duty, but we we actually DO in this life, and how we treat others, will prove what is truly in our hearts.

"Lord God of Israel, there is no God like You in heaven above or on earth below, keeping the gracious covenant with Your servants who walk before You with their whole heart." - 1Kings 8:23

Amen!

Top Bottom