Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Some pastors seem to go by what their denomination may recommend to preach on and other pastors preach through whole books of the Bible. Other pastors like the one I most hear from do series that can range from 3 to 6 or more sermons on a particular topic.
What do you prefer for your pastor to do? Book series? What the denomination recommends?
Do you know when you go to church what the pastor is going to be preaching on that Sunday?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pastors at Lutheran churches usually have a choice for their sermons basing it on one of the 3 readings for that Sunday. Since we have the scripture readings as part of the liturgical calendar, it makes sense for them to choose one of those readings to preach about.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pastors at Lutheran churches usually have a choice for their sermons basing it on one of the 3 readings for that Sunday. Since we have the scripture readings as part of the liturgical calendar, it makes sense for them to choose one of those readings to preach about.

Yes, that does make sense.
I know I have heard that some pastor plan out their sermon series about a year in advance.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some pastors seem to go by what their denomination may recommend to preach on and other pastors preach through whole books of the Bible. Other pastors like the one I most hear from do series that can range from 3 to 6 or more sermons on a particular topic.
What do you prefer for your pastor to do? Book series? What the denomination recommends?
Do you know when you go to church what the pastor is going to be preaching on that Sunday?

Our church has suggested texts for each Sunday but whoever is preaching is free to use whatever Scripture they choose. Our weekly bulletin is published on the web site by Friday, so anyone can see it and see what the Scripture and sermon title will be.

If the minister is having a week off from preaching then whoever is preaching that day is welcome to ask for the suggested texts, or they can use whatever they want. I preach maybe 3 times a year and so far have always used a Scripture that matches things I've been thinking about rather than the suggested texts. If I find myself stuck for ideas I'd ask about the suggested texts, but whether I'd use them or not remains to be seen.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our church has suggested texts for each Sunday but whoever is preaching is free to use whatever Scripture they choose. Our weekly bulletin is published on the web site by Friday, so anyone can see it and see what the Scripture and sermon title will be.

If the minister is having a week off from preaching then whoever is preaching that day is welcome to ask for the suggested texts, or they can use whatever they want. I preach maybe 3 times a year and so far have always used a Scripture that matches things I've been thinking about rather than the suggested texts. If I find myself stuck for ideas I'd ask about the suggested texts, but whether I'd use them or not remains to be seen.

Does your church require the person who preaches be ordained or can any lay person preach a message?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does your church require the person who preaches be ordained or can any lay person preach a message?

No need to be ordained. It's not quite as simple as "any lay person" - people can volunteer to preach. I'm not sure of the details of whatever happens behind the scenes to vet the people who volunteer. The minister preaches most Sundays, and we have maybe 8-10 others who are available to fill a Sunday or two.

I've never seen it happen but I'd imagine there's some process in place to deal with a person who takes the pulpit and then preaches a message that isn't considered theologically sound.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No need to be ordained. It's not quite as simple as "any lay person" - people can volunteer to preach. I'm not sure of the details of whatever happens behind the scenes to vet the people who volunteer. The minister preaches most Sundays, and we have maybe 8-10 others who are available to fill a Sunday or two.

I've never seen it happen but I'd imagine there's some process in place to deal with a person who takes the pulpit and then preaches a message that isn't considered theologically sound.

yep, the person isn't invited back

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
yep, the person isn't invited back

There's always that, although I've often wondered if there is a specific means to remove someone mid-sermon if what they are preaching is theologically way off the mark.

Top Bottom